Like the February Correction ?

Options

Comments

• Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I slightly up-risked on my whole pension pot and those investment changes were executed literally on the 9th lol. Also put in the whole of my CY ISA allowance at the end of September. I'm not going to log in and check how it's looking any time soon or I might cry!

On the upside, I've got another £30k that I've been dithering over opening a GIA for (and, as a result, had not got round to doing it yet). I don't think I can resist the temptation to try to time the market a little tiny bit, but it's going in soon I reckon.

In past corrections/crashes, I've tended to leave the existing stuff where it was and pump more money in to the best of my ability. That's what I plan to do this time around as well. I reckon I only need worry if things get so bad that "people like me" start to lose their jobs, thus putting that strategy at risk.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2018 at 8:48AM
    Options
    'Permission to panic Mr Mainwaring'
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm keeping a level head at this stage and I am a novice investor. Heart sank a bit in Feb/March time when my investments in VG LS 80 and 100 (90:10 weighting) took a nosedive to an overall gain of 0.5%, so the drop in the past week has not concerned me too much (down from 11.5% last week to 5% this morning) didn't freak me out too much. If anything, I am now closer to investing the 4.5k I have sat in my LISA as have kept in cash over the past few months given the high unit prices.

Question is, how much more of a drop do I look for before ploughing it in, or is that far too much a case of trying to time the market? From a novice's point of view, investing more when the gain is at 11.5% seems foolish as a correction is inevitable but at what point do I start to invest again, 6% drop, 4% drop etc. or do I simply keep a level head and drip feed at realistic times (ie., now)?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Sorry, there's no more money left"

Typical remnants of every Labour government.

And now, your blaming your troubles on someone has not even been in power.

Interesting.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Its frustrating cos ive just started doing investing & after an okish September its now dropped about 10%. I currently dont have big money in so not overlly worried and a big drop is an opportunity to buy cheap for longer term gains. Which as im in for the long haul im still hopeful.

Yep, you really need to take this on board, best thing for you would be a decline and low prices for a few years. So there should be no "frustration "
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Question is, how much more of a drop do I look for before ploughing it in, or is that far too much a case of trying to time the market? From a novice's point of view, investing more when the gain is at 11.5% seems foolish as a correction is inevitable but at what point do I start to invest again, 6% drop, 4% drop etc. or do I simply keep a level head and drip feed at realistic times (ie., now)?

Read the link in post 6
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    'Permission to panic Mr Mainwaring'

70% Stock Market Crash to Strike November 1, Economist Warns

permission granted :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Read the link in post 6

Interesting, and provides comfort. I'm 35 so see no reason to come out of the market for 25-30 years so perhaps all is not lost!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Options
    This site must not turn into the Daily Express. The investments have not plummeted. They have not nosedived or any other superlative. They have gone down a little.

Most UK investors are cautious to low/medium in risk. They are losing around 3-5% of every 10% the market falls.

10% falls happen regularly. 20% falls happen every 3-5 years. 40%+ falls more generational.

If you consider this a plummet then you are invested above your risk tolerance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HarryGray
    HarryGray Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a question about asset allocation. So my asset allocation broadly follows the world index:

- 50% US Equity Index
    - 14% Europe ex UK
    - 8.5% Japan
    - 16.5% EM
    - 12% UK ( I know this is too much and I'm not selling down but concentrating it by buying other indexes)
    -1% cash

Can you criticise this? I invested in Jan 17 and have been investing more heavily this year. My portfolio was up £2,200 this time last month, its now down £500. I only invest in index funds (iShares mainly and a couple Vanguard funds). I am not panicking at all but now is probably the best time to get my asset allocation right considering I'm a young investor and I'm looking to invest for 25+ years.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure