PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    jak- thats just all my expensive stuff, fridge/freezer and washing machine apart from that i have nothing else of great value unless if someone decides to rob me they take the paint of the walls :rotfl: i live on a hill so no risk of flood just had new windows and doors.... i live the simple life lol... as long as my tv and pc are covered im good :rotfl: xxx

ok lol, just checking, sorry it's the mother in me :D .

Jackie x
  • Please put me down for £120 for July Thank you.

Really don't know if I can do it for £120 but I have to stop stocking up Just in case,I mean there are only two of us and I have a stock of 10kg of rice and endless other things,I buy when on special to try to stave of price increases.

DD finished up for summer holidays on Wednesday so I will have to make sure to buy lunches and plenty of snacks.

Asda have quorn burgers for £1 so I have bought a few packs of them,and Smart price noodles as a quick cheap snack,with some grated carrot.

It's going to be difficult to resist the shops with DD being off school,but I will try my best.

I shop online every 2 weeks so my budget if for four weeks,I am trying to shop every 15/16 days to stretch the budget a bit.

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread, it makes me feel sane and supported.
  • mumzyof2 wrote: »
    FFM - do you calculate how much you have feed your family on everyday? How do you do this?

No, I wouldn't have time :D

I do have an exercise book where I keep a list of price/100g and cals/100g for ingredients so that I can fairly easily work out cost and calories per portion.

I started this when I first joined this thread, so that I could work out the cheaper meals and also the calories, I have recently lost 3.5 stones and do not want to gain weight by not keeping a close eye on my calories.

At the back of the book I keep a list of meals, cakes, biscuits etc where I have worked out the cost and calories - so it's kind of an easy reference.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • SAV3R
    SAV3R Posts: 222 Forumite

I have recently lost 3.5 stones and do not want to gain weight by not keeping a close eye on my calories.

Well Done on the weight loss, I recently lost 1.5 stone although it took a long time. I need to lose another stone but seem unable to shift anymore. It doesn't help with all the cakes / biscuits etc I am making for the family. I could resist shop bought but can't fight my own. lol:rotfl:
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, could you put me down for £250 please? Will start on July 1st :)
  • SAV3R wrote: »
    Well Done on the weight loss, I recently lost 1.5 stone although it took a long time. I need to lose another stone but seem unable to shift anymore. It doesn't help with all the cakes / biscuits etc I am making for the family. I could resist shop bought but can't fight my own. lol:rotfl:

Same here - I always have to 'just try one', that is why it helps me to know how many calories are in my 'creations'. There is 300 cals in one of my chocolate muffins - so I tend to only eat 1/2 of one these. There is 80 - 100 calories in a Twinks hob nob depending on their size.

My biggest downfall is the chocolate fudge cake, a real favourite with the family - but it tastes best with some single cream too - a small portion of this is about 400 calories :eek: .

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    good eveniing erveryone hope you are all well :beer:

thanks angelnikki for all the recipes:A

funkyfunkymunky good tips,,, I havent learnt them yet,,,, still theres time:T

denisefowler I hope I didnt cause you to have a sharp intake of breath with the price of my specs:eek:

perrywinkle thanks for reminding me that I can freeze soup I used to do it but forgot must be having senior moments:rotfl:

I just cant bulk bake at the moment as one freezer is no good so I have put everything in the chest freezer in the garage so everytime i want something i have to walk to the garage and i am getting quite fit I may just leave it there and do without in the house,,,,, but then again,,,,,,, maybe not

talk to you soon (((((((((((((( hugs to everyone )))))))))))))))

mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Hi everyone!!

I would like to add a couple of tips to Funky, Funky Monkey's brilliant tip list:
    • Use Money Off Coupons-These can be found in magazines but I like to print them off using the couponet website. Any coupons which start with 99 can be used at any supermarket and Tesco will accept 1 per purchase generally, although to avoid embarassment I used the self scanner and have saved alot of money. If you go to the MSE Discount, codes and vouchers on the forum they have a great thread giving advice for which magazine to buy for MOCs and freebies, as well as what is given away free with newspapers-I've got free pizza and bread from them...Also codes for free delivery of Internet Shopping on MSE Discount, codes and vouchers.
    • Oh Tesco take Sainsbury's money off vouchers too.
    • Whoopsie hunts-from the reduced section but also if you find something with todays date on it in Tesco you can ask for it to be reduced at certain times in the evening. Some people take from the reduced section then ask for it to be reduced further a bit later on. You have to look for the person with the scanner in the section you're in.
    • If you can-have a small long term budget to take advantage of wonderful BOGOFs. This has saved us a fortune and our garden shed is like an army store room.
    • Put porridge oats/lentils/veg in Shepherds pies and Spag bol to make extra portions for the freezer.
    • Have meat free nights every week.
    • Grown your own-We're loving the fact we can just pick herbs, salad and fruit from our garden. Our strawberries and raspberries are just delicious.
    I'm sure there are more.......

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    WOW, page 4 already!!!!1

Just declared on junes thread. Wont be going to the shops until after tuesday.

I have adjusted my signature for next month and already took £20 into account from things that have been bought for july's challenge.

Good luck everyone.

Carol
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • frankerooney
    frankerooney Posts: 167 Forumite
    I'm in again please AngelNikki/MrsM with £180 for July, as usual. Thank you! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure