Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vickyxgp
    • By Vickyxgp 19th May 19, 6:17 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Vickyxgp
    Company account
    • 19th May 19, 6:17 PM
    Company account 19th May 19 at 6:17 PM
    Apologies if this is a silly question.

I have read a million times over that client entertainment can not be claimed against for tax, however, this is a very common practice for creating business opportunities in my field.

Can I pay for the meal on my company card? After all, it is a cost required to make for the business?

Thank you in advance for your help
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 19th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 11,665 Posts
    • 22,531 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 19th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:20 PM
    Yes, you can claim it through your company, but it's not allowable for corporation tax. In tax-speak, it gets added back in the tax computations and corporation tax return.

However, if you've got a valid VAT receipt, you can usually reclaim the VAT on your VAT return (if registered for VAT).
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 19th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 7,879 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 19th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 19th May 19, 8:50 PM
    However, if you've got a valid VAT receipt, you can usually reclaim the VAT on your VAT return (if registered for VAT).
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    err. I think Pennywise is having a senior moment.

staff entertaining - yes for VAT
    business (aka client / non staff) entertaining - no for VAT

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/business-entertainment-and-vat-notice-70065

1.2 Business entertainment and VAT
    You cannot recover input tax incurred on the provision of business entertainment expenses.

You can normally recover, as input tax, VAT incurred on goods or services used for a business purpose. However input tax incurred by you on the provision of business entertainment to UK business contacts and non-UK business contacts who are not customers is blocked from recovery under a special legal provision.

Business entertainment is not the same as employee entertainment which is explained in section 3.

You can as he says, pay for the meal with the company card, but the company cannot claim tax relief on that expenditure. The cost is "added back" when doing the corp tax computation
    Last edited by 00ec25; 19-05-2019 at 8:53 PM.
    • Vickyxgp
    • By Vickyxgp 19th May 19, 10:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Vickyxgp
    • 19th May 19, 10:23 PM
    • 19th May 19, 10:23 PM
    Thank you both. That cleared up my question.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 20th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 20th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 20th May 19, 7:16 AM
    Apologies if this is a silly question.

I have read a million times over that client entertainment can not be claimed against for tax, however, this is a very common practice for creating business opportunities in my field.

Can I pay for the meal on my company card? After all, it is a cost required to make for the business?

Thank you in advance for your help
    Originally posted by Vickyxgp
    You will need to speak with those responsible within your company for providing you with a company credit card, or refer to the terms and conditions which should have been provided to you, with regards the use of the company credit card.

In our company, due to the process we use, we are pretty much carefree what the card is used for. That is because we don't pay the credit card bill, but rather the employee submits an expense report (where we don't consider what means was used to fund the purchase), and the employee is essentially liable to settle the card themselves.
    (Safegaurds are in place in the event they don't settle up)

I know other companies take a much more strict approach to what may or may not be spent on the company credit card, usually because the company settle the bill directly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,377Posts Today

8,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin