Peoples experiances of WBAC and the like

Options
m0bov
m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Going to be selling my Octavia vRS soon, its a 59plate, petrol DSGH 48k on the clock and FMDSH, no dents or scratches, no damage inside.

WBAC have (online) valued it at 5.5k and another site at 6k. I have been offered 4.2k as trade in. I really need to get more than the trade in value. I know nobody can see my car but how picky are WBAC and what sort of things do they use to knock money off? I realize they will, but really want at least 5k for the car.

Anyone on here got experience of using these kind of companies?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    Options
    I've put 3 cars through WBAC.

If you're truly honest about the state of your car when you get the online valuation then that's pretty much what you'll get. But, don't forget their extra fee's; admin charge for the deal and if you want faster payment.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll be amazed if you get £5K for it, even if they offer more than that to get you into the office they will easily find a host of things on a 9 year old car to reduce what they will actually pay. Keep that £4.2K trade in in reserve as it may end up being more than WBAC will give you.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much does a 59 Octavia vRS retail at?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Expect them to pick at everything to knock the price down a bit, then subtract their buying fees, and "the value in the system has changed"

It's a lot above the trade in so it's worth a punt; you don't need to commit until their revised offer.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a no-brainer.

They are offering more than a trade-in you have nothing to loose. Go to the appointment. If they find a fault or two and offer less than trade-in you can walk away.

I did exactly that and got more from WBAC than dealer was prepared to pay as a trade-in on a new car.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sold my Volvo V50 to the car buying group, slightly better price than WBAC and no fees. Price given online then condition dicussed and agreed on phone. They came two days later, paid for by BACS and took the car away.
    I preferred it to BAC's process as they do have the upper hand when you take your car to them.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I personally have a very poor opinion of WBAC, although their adverts are now honest about the fact they don't offer a great price but are quick and convenient. Years back they were caught with their pants around their ankles when internal e-mails were leaked with management telling staff to aim to knock around 70% off the online valuation or something outrageous. It was all over the papers and they were shown to pretty ruthlessly take advantage of people in need of quick money, offering even less than they would to people who were just casually visiting.

As above, don't forget the admin charges as well.... is it worth it? They offered me some really poor amounts for a couple of cars I've owned in the past. I've not typed my new one in, but I suspect they would offer half of what it's worth and my feelings are, well, why bother? Sell privately and wait it out..... if you can :)
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    Options
    I def can sell private, I have about 14 weeks wait for the new car to be built. I would be looking at 6k for selling it private.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    Places like wbac are in the business to make money and are willing to buy your car on the spot albeit for not very much, unfortunately that is the price for convivence

I went to them when i had a car i was selling and the chap went over it meticulously and picked faults that most of us would consider wear and tear due to age and miles, he offerd me a silly price so i just walked away and then sold the car privately but the amount of tyre kickers i had to deal with was crazy hence why some people choose to sell thier car via such places.

op, take your car down see what they offer if its to low walk away simple
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    . If they find a fault or two and offer less than trade-in you can walk away....
    ratrace wrote: »
    ...op, take your car down see what they offer if its to low walk away simple
    Or, better still, drive away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport