Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question

Comments

• I think that such analysis always comes down to one. It is worth waiting with the opinion.
  • Three7six
    Three7six Posts: 20 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, couple of questions regarding bankruptcy online application. I've 2 credit cards with approx 700 quid available credit on them, would it be an offence to use that to pay the bankruptcy fee?
    I had sofas on up through dfs, a friend took over the payments for me, is that going to be a problem?
    Also, I had a joint account with a flatmate that was supposed to be for shared costs but we never bothered in the end so I used it for a bit to just put 'spendable' money in, then closed it earlier this year, I can't find anything on it such as statements who since I've moved, the form asks for accounts held in the last 2 years, how would I complete that?
    Sorry:)
  • Hello

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

I’ll do my best to be as specific as possible when answering your questions but each bankruptcy is looked at on a case-by-case basis and the official receiver will make any final decisions.

1. You could get a restriction undertaking or order for ‘Incurring debt without reasonable expectation of payment’ if you pay for the bankruptcy fee using your credit card. Having said this it’s very rare for an official receiver to do this if you only use the available credit to pay for the fee.

There are alternative ways you could pay for the fee:
    • Reduce or stop payments to non-priority debts to save the £680 and pay the fee in installments
    • Sell goods or assets (ensuring that they are sold for their correct market value and proof is kept)
    • Apply to a trust fund (Turn2us have a search tool you can use)

2. If your friend is making payments directly to the creditor for the sofa this shouldn’t cause any issues. If your friend gives you the money to then pay the creditor it may be seen as preferential treatment if you’ve fallen behind on any payments to other creditors.

Assuming the credit agreement is solely in your name this debt will be included and written off in bankruptcy. The means neither yourself nor your friend will need to keep paying.

3. If you can’t remember the name of the bank you could check your credit report for free using Noddle, ClearScore or MSE Credit Club. As you only closed your account this year I would imagine the bank will be able to provide the information you’ll need to complete the form.

For more guidance completing the form I’d recommend you call the Insolvency Service Helpline on 0300 678 0015.

Although you’ve started your bankruptcy application I’d recommend you get debt advice (if you haven’t already) just to make sure this is the right solution for you. You can create a budget and get advice online using our Debt Remedy tool. Here’s the link.

I hope this helps,

Linsi
    Three7six wrote: »
    Hi, couple of questions regarding bankruptcy online application. I've 2 credit cards with approx 700 quid available credit on them, would it be an offence to use that to pay the bankruptcy fee?
    I had sofas on up through dfs, a friend took over the payments for me, is that going to be a problem?
    Also, I had a joint account with a flatmate that was supposed to be for shared costs but we never bothered in the end so I used it for a bit to just put 'spendable' money in, then closed it earlier this year, I can't find anything on it such as statements who since I've moved, the form asks for accounts held in the last 2 years, how would I complete that?
    Sorry:)
  • Three7six
    Three7six Posts: 20 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you, I was considering a dro but I completed the debt remedy and it said I had too much money. It included my DLA as income but didn't have anywhere I could put the care expenses in, so I assumed I'd have to go bankrupt instead?
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Three7six wrote: »
    Thank you, I was considering a dro but I completed the debt remedy and it said I had too much money. It included my DLA as income but didn't have anywhere I could put the care expenses in, so I assumed I'd have to go bankrupt instead?

Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we advise that you include all income and all expenses on your budget to make sure it's fully accurate and therefore you get the correct advice. We can add your care costs into your budget if you call our Digital Support team. If you log into Debt Remedy and click on 'Need help' it will allow to contact us via phone or online chat.

It's essential that your budget is right before you follow any advice, so I'm glad you raised this.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • Hi. I’ve completed the debt remedy tool with StepChange and my options are DRO and a token payment in the interim. Based on my wage, and outgoings I have £48 left a month which certainly wont cover 18 creditors totalling to £15500.

I’ll be calling stepchange first thing tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling but after a few hours reading forums, I’m wondering if my husbands wage and his property will complicate matters. He has a house (that we don’t live in) we rent from a family member. I’m not named on his mortgage.

I know that I’ll gain more clarity about matters tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation?

His house is in negative equity
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    unless any of the debts are joint debts then his circumstances shouldn't affect you
  • Thank you !!!128522;
  • just a quick question re BR.
    I earn at present £359 per week after stoppages,I can boost this pay weekly by overtime usually around an extra £30-£35.Also I can earn a lot extra if I wish to work my rest week.What %of overtime does a OR consider taking ?In short is it going to be worth it?
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi. I’ve completed the debt remedy tool with StepChange and my options are DRO and a token payment in the interim. Based on my wage, and outgoings I have £48 left a month which certainly wont cover 18 creditors totalling to £15500.

I’ll be calling stepchange first thing tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling but after a few hours reading forums, I’m wondering if my husbands wage and his property will complicate matters. He has a house (that we don’t live in) we rent from a family member. I’m not named on his mortgage.

I know that I’ll gain more clarity about matters tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation?

His house is in negative equity

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

If the house is in negative equity then it shouldn't be an issue; if there was equity then you may have beneficial interest in the property as you're married. If this was over £1000, you'd be ineligible for a DRO.

Once you call us we'll discuss everything in full with you, and check whether the DRO is definitely an option for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback