Insurance2go Mobile Phone Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Am I missing something here???, I have read the policy wording over and over and can not find any reference to them using compatible parts for repairs. All it states is repair, no mention of compatible parts.

This is actually a fair-ish point. The policy terms I can find -

https://www.insurance2go.co.uk/media/1191/i2g-lite-mpi-t-cs_021014_v1.pdf

... don't explicitly state that repairs will be third party and non-manufacturer. However, the terms do state -

All repairs that are carried out to your mobile phone will be guaranteed for 6 months.

... which would reasonably mean that repairs are non-manufacturer as a manufacturer would generally offer 12 months.

Unfortunately, insurance contracts are often explicit, i.e., if it doesn't explicitly say that repairs will be with manufacturer parts, they won't be. Your best would have been to contact the insurer to clarify this aspect of the policy should it have been such a concern, before incepting the policy. In the absence of having done this, I don't think you have any recourse against them in this instance.
  • As i said before, there is no information regarding the use of compatible parts for repairs. You say I should have realized by the guarantee they issue, 3 months or 6 months. As far as I am concerned, I should not have to make assumptions that because they only give a 3/6 month guarantee they use inferior parts. When I took out the insurance I read the small print and because nothing was stated they automatically use original Apple parts as anyone would unless it was specified. One could also reverse your statement and say, because they don't mention they use comparable parts, you have to assume they use original Apple parts. Its part of the policy wording they have chose to omit.
  • Chickenlips
    Chickenlips Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Specific Claims Conditions:

Your scheme administrator will endeavour to replace your mobile phone with an identical, fully refurbished (or new where a refurbished item is not available) mobile phone of the same age and condition as your mobile phone. However, in the unlikely event this is not possible, your scheme administrator will provide
    you with a fully refurbished (or new where a refurbished item is not available) mobile phone of a comparable specification or the equivalent value taking into consideration the age and condition of your mobile phoneprior to your claim.
  • Hi Chickenlips. As I have already stated, the phone is in the hands of Apple at the moment. I hope they can fix it back to Apple standards and if so I will retain my warranty. If not I will have to pursue a claim from Phones2go for a new phone as i don't want a refurbished one with inferior parts.
  • Chickenlips
    You insurers have indemnified you as per the terms of the policy. You haven't got a leg to stand on.

When you get your next phone, shop around and READ the full policy wording (available online for most policies( before signing up. If you choose based on premium, you are going to end up with a policy that gives you a refurbished phone.
  • Chickenlips
    Insurers will have* (in the event you require a replacement).

The policy does not state that genuine parts will be used.

You may find you're best of self-insuring.
  • I beg to differ, I don't think they have indemnified me as per the terms of the policy. As i have mentioned in previous comments, there is no mention of the use of comparable parts in the policy wording. This in my opinion should be made clear . As for choosing on premium, I took the advice from the Money Saving Expert who recommended Insurance2go.
  • Chickenlips
    MSE recommended a cheap policy, which you took. The insurers set up your policy and issued the documents. The due diligence of ensuring the policy meets you're requirements sits with you.

The policy is silent on the parts used. As many insurers do not use manufacturers parts to repair, I would consider it a a key selling point if they did use genuine parts. Something they would likely advertise.

If the policy stated they used genuine parts you'd have a case. But it doesn't. You took a cheap policy and are now complaining that it indemnity is in line with the premium paid.

If you wanted genuine Apple parts, why not pay £129.00 for Apple care? Rather than choose a cheap policy that doesn't meet your wants? Why didn't you check the policy was suitable within the 14 day cooling off period?
  • We took out an iphone 6S on contract 2 years ago and immediately purchased a policy from Insurance2Go. A few months later the phone screen was damaged when it was dropped. We took it to the local Apple store who replaced the phone for a cost of £120 which we paid in full. We then put in a claim with Insurance2Go which was finally accepted after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing but they insisted on being paid the excess amount before paying out on the claim. We challenged this as we had already paid the full amount and suggested they pay just the difference between the excess and the cost of the repair but they were having none of it. We just could not understand why we had to pay the excess on something we had already paid for in full anyway. In the end we lost the will to continue so effectively the policy was a waste of money and time. We all know that insurance companies are not in business to pay money out but we found this company to be particularly difficult to deal with and in the end they did win and achieved thier objective of not paying out even though the claim was valid.
  • Sunshine62
    Sunshine62 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Not worth the money. Not if you aren't receiving a new phone. Consider taking the risk and claiming on household insurance....

My daughter insured her Iphone paid £539 for it, she paid 30 months premiums of £7, so £210 and has just been told she will get a refurbished one which is basically worthless....AND STILL PAY £50 excess.....yet new ones can be purchased on Ebay around £250 There are umpteen reviews of faulty phones being sent out if you google and if you happen to need to send one to them for repair, you have to pay for Special Delivery postage too and of course if that phones proves to be faulty you would have to resend again at your own cost.

Has anyone actually received a new phone from them ?

Take a risk on claiming for any loss on your household insurance

Sunshine
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport