PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Packing boxes - strengthening bottom

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Things that are already in drawers don't need to be taken out and put into boxes. Take the drawer out, full. Move the chest of drawers into the removal van. Put the drawer back in.

Use tea towels, towels, old clothes etc etc to protect breakables. Saves on bubblewrap!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As we've strayed somewhat off topic, I would add: if you're packing yourself, colour code all the boxes and colour code the door of each room in your new home.

Makes it much easier to allocate boxes to the correct room, and you don't have to try to read what's in them;)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    As we've strayed somewhat off topic, I would add: if you're packing yourself, colour code all the boxes and colour code the door of each room in your new home.

Makes it much easier to allocate boxes to the correct room, and you don't have to try to read what's in them;)

OK, or you could just go with the more traditional K = kitchen, L = lounge, B1/2/3 = Bedroom 1/2/3, Bath = Bathroom. Whatever peels your banana. Good luck with the move. I bet you dream of boxes tonight.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's probably too late now, but whenever we move I always buy (or scrounge …) some archive boxes. They are really strong, are a good size for carrying and are just small enough that you can't really overload them. They also stack really well, and don't tend to need their bottoms taping as they have a sort-of double flap on the base, although you do need to tape the lids on. They're also quite sturdy to store those things that you don't quite get around to unpacking very quickly :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Always order double sided boxes for packing, single strength boxes are useless but for the lightest products.

You can fold the flaps on a box to add strength. I don't always use tape. fold flap one over, then two, then three, fold flap four down across bottom of box but force corner of 4th flap under first flap.

Someone who worked in a post room (with heavy parcels posted) showed me this.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    Options
    Books - if you work in an office, or know someone who does, the boxes photocopying paper cones in are perfect size.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    Options
    Is there an etiquette to this? If you're having a couple of burly strangers load the van, do you pack away your undergarments in a bag or leave them in the drawer?

Use black bin liners, drawer contents into liner, then back in the drawer.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Agree with the bin liners thing.

I always empty the drawer, put the opened empty liner into the drawer, then pack stuff back into the drawer and fold the bin liner over them. If that makes sense. Otherwise you'll have all kinds of lumpy shapes going on and the drawer won't close!
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've always just left drawers of clothes as they are. If they get some tittilation from seeing my knickers that's a bonus for them! I never considered it.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I've always just left drawers of clothes as they are. If they get some tittilation from seeing my knickers that's a bonus for them! I never considered it.

:eek: Wouldn't want ANYONE seeing my "harvest festivals" (so called because all is safely gathered in). I don't even hang them outside.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure