British Gas Warm Home Discount

I just wanted to ask anyone else that has applied for this, did you get a confirmation email?

I just get the “Application Successful” page and explaining what happens next.

Is that all that happens so far? I just wanted to make sure they have received the application.

Comments

• No I never got a confirmation e mail. Think they just send you a letter nearer the time saying if you have been successful, I seem to remember last year getting a letter.
  • Thank you for the reply and the reassurance, much appreciated.
  • WHD has been the best scheme ever for helping those in fuel poverty, and trust me with the 100's of millions the energy co's make each year they can more than afford it !
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    You'd rather people who simply can't afford the extra money freeze in winter? What a kind generous soul you are. :angry:
    There is no extra money to be found - that is if you had read my post properly.
    You pay the same every month and get the option to put the heating on with no worries about having to find extra money.

Alternatively you could look at it that when in the middle of summer you are saving your money because you don't need the heating on.
  • Danday
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As you used to give away your disability money to your children because you didn't need that either, then i can't imagine for one minute why you would need the warm home discount either......

With my dual fuel being £128 per month, i'll take the warm home discount, thank you very much! Too bad if you don't agree with it.

I have no idea why you think that I give away my money

If you are paying £128 a month, every month you are in the same scheme as I am then you don't need the extra as your winter bill will be covered already - so why claim it?
    You don't make any sense - need or greed.
  • Danday
    calcotti wrote: »
    Benefits Board: For help and support NOT JUDGEMENT

Fine I'll butt out on this one - I just wanted to make a point for the OP that there is a way that they can budget for the total annual cost of dual fuel without the worry of trying to find extra money to pay for the winter costs.
  • Danday
    venison wrote: »
    WHD has been the best scheme ever for helping those in fuel poverty, and trust me with the 100's of millions the energy co's make each year they can more than afford it !

Personally I don't get how fuel poverty is calculated.
    The fuel providers don't cover the costs - we the consumers pay for it through all of our fuel bills.
  • Danday wrote: »
    Personally I don't get how fuel poverty is calculated.
    The fuel providers don't cover the costs - we the consumers pay for it through all of our fuel bills.

Personally I don’t think anyone cares what your personal, pompous and self righteous views on fuel poverty.
    Massive round of applause you budget the same amount each month for your fuel bills, amazing!
  • Danday
    Dullville wrote: »
    Personally I don’t think anyone cares what your personal, pompous and self righteous views on fuel poverty.
    Massive round of applause you budget the same amount each month for your fuel bills, amazing!
    Most savvy and switched on people also do.
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Danday wrote: »
    I have an interest only mortgage that is due to expire in June 2020.
    In 2015 I decided to take the bull by the horns and to start paying it off. The mortgage balance in 2015 was £101,000 and since then with regular 4 weekly payments of £500 and some substantial blocks of savings/investments I now have it down to £37,000.

Now that my savings etc have been depleted I will still continue to pay it down at the rate of £6500 a year which should leave the outstanding balance in June 2020 of £24,000.

The property is worth a minimum 0f £285,000 at todays value.
    I do not want to do an equity release (I'm 69) as that means paying an interest rate some 3 times greater than the curremt deal.
    Does anybody have any thoughts on what Barclays would do if the debt isn't settled on time?
    At best I could continue to pay it off beyond 2020 but that would take just under another 4 years - 2024. If I did that would it keep the bank off my back?

Sorry I should have added that I absolutely hate speaking to the bank - they have a way of making me feel like 'Oliver'!!
    Danday wrote: »
    Most savvy and switched on people also do.

Can't see how a switched on and savvy person still has a mortgage at 69 personally. Or maybe, as usual, you are getting your fantasy lives mixed up...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure