Switching - have fibre BT, want Std B'Band

Comments

• Futuristic wrote: »
    Goto https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and check what comes up, if you see the "WBC ADSL 2+" or the others under "ADSL Products" then you can get the Std BB.

John Lewis site should have a checker where you enter your address + current BT number anyways to check for you as well. If it shows the std bb option then you can most likely get it.

How much is JL btw? Check out the Plusnet/Sky offers here too:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband/#standard

I tried dslchecker - it says I don't have a line

JL signup says the same

I tried phoning it from my mobile - it's definitely the right number:)
  • So, you have the best available infrastructure to your house, the connection type that we are constantly getting told we are lagging behind the rest of Europe / the world because they all have it and we're stuck in the dark ages as we only have 3% of properties with it available, and you want to go back to the type of connection that almost everyone complains is past its sell by date and should immediately be replaced?

Just so I understand.

I don't think there's much enthusiasm in Openreach for providing 'outdated' copper to premises already served by fibre.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 September 2018 at 3:39PM
    Ok, are you saying that, since I don't have a copper wire to my house, I'm limited to fibre contracts?

Surely they can just re-connect my old copper wire; just as if I was back at new-build stage and wanting a new contract?

On larger new build sites, OR put in FTTP ( fibre to the premises) and no copper pair service, it would be very expensive to provide both types of service, and as the Government, the ISP industry , The Press and everyone else moans at OR for 'third world' infrastructure , then obviously they now will do FTTP if possible.

In older areas that already had copper pair lines ( including FTTC where the fibre only goes as far as the cabinet , it's copper pairs to the house ) these area have a choice , so if that is you , then if you want to get a copper pair line installed , you can.....
    When it comes to FTTP in new builds its usually developments of 30 homes or more, is your new build is a one off, surrounded by older property's
  • So, you have the best available infrastructure to your house, the connection type that we are constantly getting told we are lagging behind the rest of Europe / the world because they all have it and we're stuck in the dark ages as we only have 3% of properties with it available, and you want to go back to the type of connection that almost everyone complains is past its sell by date and should immediately be replaced?

Just so I understand.

I don't think there's much enthusiasm in Openreach for providing 'outdated' copper to premises already served by fibre.

Only because JL are offering £17 compared to BT's £52.49. That's a saving of £8,517.60 over the next 20 years for a product that suits me fine.

If that's the dark ages well then….:)
  • iniltous wrote: »
    On larger new build sites, OR put in FTTP ( fibre to the premises) and no copper pair service, it would be very expensive to provide both types of service, and as the Government, the ISP industry , The Press and everyone else moans at OR for 'third world' infrastructure , then obviously they now will do FTTP if possible.

In older areas that already had copper pair lines ( including FTTC where the fibre only goes as far as the cabinet , it's copper pairs to the house ) these area have a choice , so if that is you , then if you want to get a copper pair line installed , you can.....
    When it comes to FTTP in new builds its usually developments of 30 homes or more, is your new build is a one off, surrounded by older property's

Yes, my home is a one off surrounded by old properties - mostly very old (it's a mining village in Cornwall).

I just went outside and eyeballed my telegraph pole. The junction box that supplies the copper pairs to my neighbours is still there. The same junction box that supplied the copper pairs to my property before they knocked it down and re-built.

What do you think?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think that all you can do is get JL to get Openreach to re-provision the line. It will probably depend if the line from the pole still goes all the way back to the exchange and is in serviceable condition.

I suspect that there will be a connection charge for this but probably less than £50 according to their website.
  • Mister_G wrote: »
    I think that all you can do is get JL to get Openreach to re-provision the line. It will probably depend if the line from the pole still goes all the way back to the exchange and is in serviceable condition.

I suspect that there will be a connection charge for this but probably less than £50 according to their website.

I agree, I think it's time to get on the phone and not give up tip I get a sensible solution.

Will report back IDC
  • Ok, so, on the basis that Talk Talk are offering 36Mb fibre for £22.50pm I decided to go for that (since I have a fibre connection already).

So I applied for that and they said can't bring fibre to my address. Any idea what's going on?
  • Any idea what's going on?
    Talktalks offer is fibre to the cabinet (which then connects to your house with old copper wire)
    You have fibre to the premises (a wet dream for most) talktalk don't offer that.
  • Talktalks offer is fibre to the cabinet (which then connects to your house with old copper wire)
    You have fibre to the premises (a wet dream for most) talktalk don't offer that.

Any idea if anyone does, or is it a defensive BT measure?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure