Winter family buffet for 90yr old

welshbabe88
welshbabe88 Posts: 182 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi - can you throw some ideas please.

I am holding a surprise party for mum in law in Dec - maybe 25 of us. Doing at our house as we have the most room.

Anyhow hubby not too well and neither am I so keeping it as simple as possible (ie buying as much as I can from Tesco!) - and not too expensive.
For savouries I though:
boiled eggs
tomatoes
ham
rolls
coleslaw
pineapple
crisps
pizza
small pies
scotch eggs
Thinking hot potatoes - maybe frozen roast ones cooked.

Sweet stuff
Birthday cake
Welshcakes
Frozen mini eclairs
current loaf buttered
chocolate biscuits

Also a cheese board with grapes and a box of cheese bics etc.

For drinks teas and coffees, some bottled water and coke, maybe a crate of cans of lager and a few bottles of wine.

I have plenty of bunting etc, tables clothes and napkins.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Are you doing sandwiches or are the eggs, ham etc for D-I-Y?

Are all the guests adults?

I'd add in quiche, dips and possibly coleslaw & potato salad.
    Maybe pasta salad? That's not too onerous to make.

Have you considered doing something hot like chilli to go with the roast potatoes?
    I used to do this when I had the family over between Christmas and New Year.

ETA:
    how about pork pie?
  • Thanks - most adults - two teens and one youngster. No wasn't thinking sandwiches and just doing boiled eggs and plain ham - though could do ham sandwiches.

Yes did wonder about potato salad. Don't think they'd fancy chilli or such like. Did wonder about doing a turkey crown and slicing that.

Yes could get the mini port pies and cut in half as finger food.
  • What about sausages / sausage rolls???? if you can, make some simple sandwiches - rope someone in to help make if poss.

Suggestions so far sound good tho!!
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • Pollycat
    Snowy_Owl wrote: »
    What about sausages / sausage rolls???? if you can, make some simple sandwiches - rope someone in to help make if poss.

Suggestions so far sound good tho!!
    Unless buffets are different in Wales, I'd definitely do sandwiches, rather than provide rolls and ham and eggs.

I have a vision of a large bowl filled with hard boiled eggs - which to me on a buffet wouldn't be particularly appealing. :D
  • Thanks both - yes could do ham sandwiches which would be easier for people than rolls wouldn't it?

Personally I like just plain eggs cut in half - think we have simple tastes!

Yes can do sausage rolls too - or little ones on sticks.

Was also wondering about doing a turkey crown the day before so could slice it cold. So could maybe have turkey sandwiches too.
  • I'm also trying to get back into baking so would like to do a pile of little queen cakes with those round discs on top with Happy Birthday, 90 etc.

If the samples taste ok I may even bake a big cake instead of buying one!
  • I think I'd ditch the scotch eggs if you're already having boiled eggs and although sandwiches would be cheaper you could do bridge rolls (sometimes known as mini rolls in supermarkets) which would look posher.

Another thing I use as a filler is various cheap salads (I noticed that the lettuce variety is missing from your list) such as burglar wheat or couscous (takes a couple of minutes of "cooking" okay pouring hot water on with a bit of stock cube and standing) with some chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and chopped mint thrown in.

As a personal preference I'd always include pickle too.

However as your party is in December all of the partly food will be out and is usually on a buy 3 for the price of 2 deal for your sausage rolls etc.

Enjoy yourself :)
  • Pollycat
    Thanks both - yes could do ham sandwiches which would be easier for people than rolls wouldn't it?

Personally I like just plain eggs cut in half - think we have simple tastes!

Yes can do sausage rolls too - or little ones on sticks.

Was also wondering about doing a turkey crown the day before so could slice it cold. So could maybe have turkey sandwiches too.
    At some buffets, they do open rolls - so put filling on both the top and the bottom. That makes them go twice as far and you've not got so much bread to eat.

You might like eggs cut in half but do/would your guests?
    It's something I've never seen on a buffet.
    Egg mayo sandwiches?
    Tuna?

Good luck with the baking. :)

As Rosamundi says, you'll be spoiled for choice with packs that don't need any cooking or just need a bit of time in the oven.
    I've seen Chinese and Indian 'picky bits' - spring rolls, pakoras, bhajis etc if that's to your family's taste.
  • Thanks Rosamundi for the couscous and mini rolls idea and pollycat for the open rolls idea.

Been doing some cupcake practices and have a book on order with 100 varieties to get ideas for different flavours etc - only trouble is I'm eating them now!
  • Pollycat
    Thanks Rosamundi for the couscous and mini rolls idea and pollycat for the open rolls idea.

Been doing some cupcake practices and have a book on order with 100 varieties to get ideas for different flavours etc - only trouble is I'm eating them now!
    Step away from the cupcakes. Step away now. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure