Arnold Clark - cowboys

Boonip
Boonip Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 24 August 2018 at 9:04AM in Praise, vent & warnings
I have to ask, why anyone in their sane mind, would give Arnold Clark their custom. The internet is rife with stories of how people have been ripped off by them - and sadly I too have fallen victim of their shenanigans.

In my case, an Arnold Clark service department that are utterly disinterested. The same staff who are all nice smiles and happiness when you go to buy a car from them, really couldn't give two hoots when you have a problem and need their help.

Which brings me on to the question - WHY? I mean it can't be that difficult to make money selling cars - AND - deliver basic good service, can it? It seems to be a trend with these 'nationwide' dealership chains - Stoneacre aren't much better. Yet local regional dealers seem to be able to deliver much better service.

Perhaps it's because regional dealerships know that if they treat their customers like junk, they will go out of business - whereas the national chains employ staff that have no interest in building long term customer loyalty?

The sad thing is these nationwide chains are aggressively buying up all the regional dealerships in their greedy quest to get ever increasing "market share".

Very sad.

Anyway - rant over.

#arnoldclarke #arnold #clark #cowboys

Comments

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is this Arnold Clarke really Arnold Clark or is it another?
  • Oops, edited to correct spelling. thanks.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Whenever I've taken my car there they've been nothing but excellent, very friendly, knowledgeable and happy to help, and have readily squeezed in a quick check when something wasn't quite right and replaced the fault there and then with no charge under the lifetime warranty.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • I've found them to be utterly untrustworthy. Want to buy a car? Oh yes, we'll give you all the attention under the sun to pressure you into buying from us. Got a problem with that car? Yawn, not interested.

Whilst I'm sure there must be some of their branches that deliver a good service, the huge number of reports (along with numerous investigations they have been subjected to - e.g. BBC watchdog) suggests that there are a lot of people who are wholly dissatisfied.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Boonip wrote: »
    I've found them to be utterly untrustworthy. Want to buy a car? Oh yes, we'll give you all the attention under the sun to pressure you into buying from us. Got a problem with that car? Yawn, not interested.

Unfortunately you can stretch this generalisation to 95% of car dealers. Doesn't make it right but they are hardly bucking a trend of amazing customer service in the new and used car industry.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Perhaps it's because regional dealerships know that if they treat their customers like junk, they will go out of business - whereas the national chains employ staff that have no interest in building long term customer loyalty?
    In my experience regional dealerships are just as bad. Admittedly mine fixed the faults eventually - the problem was that they actually caused the majority of them due to appalling workmanship, causing damage trying to repair a minor fault or simply not fixing the fault first time.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Some context might be useful ... if you've booked your car in for a service (which you'll be paying for) I can't see why they'd be disinterested; if it's in relation to a fault then of course this is going to cost them money.

PS - as you said yourself, the Internet is rife with stories about Arnold Shark ... so why did you buy from them? Oh ... you mean you went looking for stories after you'd bought and then had a problem. ;)
  • It was a simple warranty repair job on an under 12-month old car. It was an Arnold Clark main franchised dealer that I took it to. They inspected the car (which took them almost 2 hours), then said they needed to order a replacement part and book it in as a warranty job.

Then they ignored me (no phone calls, had to chase them several times for an update), then they blatantly lied to me (told me they were waiting for the manufacturer to authorise it, when it turns out they hadn't even raised a job/request with them), then finally after almost 2 weeks they fobbed me off telling me it wasn't covered under warranty as it was driver damage (which is laughable).

I then took the car to to another main dealer (not Arnold Clark, but a regional dealer) and I'm not kidding you, the experience was like night and day. I turned up, no appointment, within 30 minutes the dealer had raised it with the manufacturer - and it was approved immediately. The part was in stock, so was replaced while I waited - job done. Whole thing took less than 90 minutes.

Which brings me back to the original question - WHY?! Surely it's would have been no skin off Arnold Clarks nose to replace it. The part was blatantly defective, the notion that it was 'driver caused' is ridiculous, and the manufacturer approved the replacement part immediately. So all they have done is alienate a customer for life, sour the experience of the marque, waste a load of time - and for what?.... I just don't get it.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oops, edited to correct spelling. thanks.

Most but not all.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    My dealings with Arnold Clark were with their Nissan franchise in Perth. I bought two cars from them one of which I still run, and just wish I were still near enough for them to do the servicing. They were really terrific, picked up and returned the car and always returned my calls etc. I am sorry you have had a bad experience and I see a couple of you have made a first post recently. I am in it for the long game.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family