PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Oh damson jam. I made some of this a couple of years ago. It was very tasty in a homemade jam roly poly.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only person who struggles with using up stuff from the freezer. I have 2 of them full to the brim with stuff. It seems like every time I make a bit of room there will be an offer on that's too good to miss and the room I've made gets quickly filled !!!55357;!!!56867;
  • Penguin8410
    Penguin8410 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    been a bit of a lurker on this thread for a while and i definitly need to crack on with emptying my freezer and throwing away less from the fridge!

tonight we will have fajitas with some sad looking peppers and left over onion from the fridge!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening all - long time no post on this thread. I have spent the last few weeks dashing all over the country carrying out my research for my thesis. I've also needed to lose a few pounds so i have been on quite a restrictive diet. It's meant long days and some overnights away from home so any kind of food organising went out the window. I don't think a lot has been wasted but we haven't been shopping as i normally would. But the good news is that this part of the research is all but done and i can get our fridge, freezer and cupboards back into order.

So a big shop will be done tomorrow, after i've inventoried the fridge and cupboards and some meal plannning done to get us back on track.. (especially as lack of stuff in fridge and a trip to the theatre tonight means i've ended up paying £6.50 for a salad :eek:. It's quite a special, planet organic, salad but it's demonstrated that i need to get organised again...)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    :hello: Penguin8410 :hello: welcome :T

As you gradually empty your freezer, you will rejoice in being able to find what you want more easily & then provided you don’t keep topping it up you will arrive at the glorious day when you have an empty freezer & can defrost & joy of joys start again listing what you put in :rotfl: I know I am a bit sad/mad but I have just described how I felt when I managed to empty & defrost my 2nd freezer which is now unplugged & in the garage. We need the space to stack my DSis’s crates etc temporarily (I hope :rotfl: ) when she moves in with us :D:o Hope to reinstate the freezer so I can commence batch cooking :rotfl:

By the way, you are making a good start with the fajitas :T

We are a very friendly bunch & there are many helpful hints & tips & ideas. The people on here have helped me no end with ideas for leftovers (los) & I am gradually becoming a more confident & inventive cook :T

Please post :)

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Bonjour:) from a finally sunny France :):)

Last night - roasted chicken thighs with two bags of stir fried veg from freezer.

Tonight new owners have invited us for dinner - authentic paella :T - so no cooking :T:T

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning chums ,rain forecast for later so it will be a baking day for me Fruit cake, biscuits, a quiche and probably some cherry scones. Using uo some of my stores to fill up the baking boxes for the week.

quite a low spend yesterday at the food shops so quite pleased at thins months spends so far.

chicken quarter from the freezer for tonights dinner, slowly getting some room in there at last and discovering all sorts of goodies I had forgotten as well

Hope you all have a good and frugal weekend and use all your odds and ends up

JackieO xx
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good Morning. May I join in please? Essential house renovations (MrC has Parkinson’s andd was really struggling so we now have a walk in shower instead of a bath AND a new kitchen as ours was 42 years old and becoming hazardous for various reasons) mean that I have an empty fridge, an empty freezer and an a very empty savings account.

I am going to have to be very careful, and don’t want to waste a scrap of food after the upheaval of the past weeks. Ialways read this thread and find it an inspiration so hope you don’t mind if I post my own attempts to cut waste; I think it would help me to stay on track. No food waste this week - but only because we’ve been living on microwave meals and they were not very good. Kitchen came online yesterday so it’s roast dinner today :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning chums and welcome to our new friends who have decided to join our happy band of LFHW'ers :) great to see new folk join as a certain SM keeps telling us 'every little helps' :)
    Talking of which I went into said SM this week and was gobsmacked at their prices !!! I know I only shop around twice a month but I hadn't been in that particular shop for ages. Don't think I will be returning either. Far too expensive and almost everything double the price of the other two majors players who seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

My new local Aldi's knocks spots off their rivals and I am hoping that we may get a Lidls soon a bit closer that 6 miles away .Although I do have a trip out to them every now and again well worth the petrol if I fancy something different.
    It seems the Aldi's/Lidls have been taking on the big guns superbly and beating them Less choice admittedly but who need rows and rows of tinned beans. a bean is a bean and I for one don't care if its sheinz of not My purse is a lot fuller now and the other day I had to buy some ground black pepper as I was out of it and Aldi's were almost half the price of Sainsburys . I mean for goodness sake its only pepper :):):)It doesn't need to have been ground up by the hooves of unicorns :) its just something I use to spice up my meals.I always look at the price per 100gms and its quite a shock when you see those tiny little pots of herbs and spices in very pretty glass jars costing you a fortune in comparison to a bog basic cardboard tube, not as pretty to look at but I don't get swoony over small glass jars that look pretty I would rather have a 100 gms of pepper at a reasonable price and keep my cash in my purse :):):)

Anyway I digress, this month has been pretty good, and room is slowly appearing in my freezer at long last .I did buy a tub of vanilla ice cream in Aldi's and its the only freezer thing I bought as wanted to try the damson jam out swirled in it, and it was delicious, damson flavoured ice cream very yummy :):):)

My chicken quarter last night was rather nice as well as I found a pot of cajun spices in the cupboard and flavoured it with that and very tasty it was as well I love chicken but it can be a bit bland at times so I smeared some garlic puree over the skin, and sprinkled some cajun spice on top, put it into my Remoska and cooked until the juices ran clear Livened up last nights TV watching no end :):):)

Right onwards and upwards chums menu planning as usual this morning for the week

Have a good Sunday all

JackieO xxx
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bought 8 grapefruit last night in morrisons for 6p the bag!! made a mountain of grapefruit curd for pennies!! luckily our chickens are laying well too as got through 12 eggs!! i will be popular when i distribute the jars when visiting.....!! xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback