2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nonnadiluca. Sending hugs and positive light. Hope all goes well.
  • Tanya12345
    Options
    Nonnadiluca that sounds so painful n frightening, hope you're on the mend - sending hugs x
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Lots of hugs Nonnadiluca.
    The challenge starts tomorrow for me. Eeek so excited. lol.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • SarahC74
    Options
    You poor thing Nonnadiluca. Hopefully it will calm down and get less painful soon. Take care.
    “WHAT WE FEAR DOING MOST IS USUALLY WHAT WE MOST NEED TO DO.” RALPH WALDO EMERSON
  • spudsmum
    Options
    Lots of hugs Nonnadiluca.
    The challenge starts tomorrow for me. Eeek so excited. lol.

How exciting Indigo - I still get a thrill from being frugal and saving money - hope that feeling never goes away.

I wish you lots of luck
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frugal day here today!

NSD and my mum also invited us to tea so that's another meal I can bump to next week's meal plan. I now have three of next weeks meals already in the freezer.

Wore an old coat and found a big handful of loose change in the pocket so instead of £54 I now have £59 in my purse to last me until Friday :j

Also got two letters today - one saying that my water meter had been read and my DD was being reduced by £8 per month from £22 down to £14 - a saving of nearly £100 per year - and a second saying my car insurance renewal will be £10 cheaper this year than last (will still do a price comparison to check if i can get cheaper though) It makes a refreshing change for a bill to be coming down instead of going the other way as usual.

Cashed out £10 from online surveys and put that together with some money I had left from my holiday and have paid another £50 on my CC and £10 off my overdraft. Thats over £300 overpayment on debts in the last month. :j

Only working half day tomorrow so my job for the afternoon is to stocktake my kitchen - I have 3 freezers full and several cupboards bursting at the seems so want to see what I can use up. Making it my mission to use up at least one thing from my stores per week (if I manage it for a few weeks I'll increase) I've already warned DH to prepare himself for random food combinations for the next few months :rotfl:
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Yesterday was a No Spend Day here. :T
    Been paid. Paid my rent straight off, Then subtracted £330 from the remaining balance. I moved all that into savings so am now 5% of the way. I then doubled checked my Utility Warehouse bill and that was less then I thought so I moved the difference into savings, as well as £2 from the frugal budget that I struggled to allocate.

Now its all well and good for me doing this however, its a difference if I continued being motivated.:rotfl:
    My friend/landlord keeps nagging me to save! So I have a little motivation.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning to all and best wishes to those who need a bit extra propping up at the minute. Life is never straightforward.

I have DS's wedding this week with most things associated with it already paid, so just need the 'refreshments' money plus fuel, which will be paid from existing savings rather than household budget.

Motivation... Looking into the future at how your life can be, then living the lifestyle that will get you there. :) It can work both ways if you look ahead at how a spendthrift life can leave you near destitute, demoralised and depressed. See the dream and aim beyond the rainbow. :)

Managed to get reductions on insurance quotes and on my BT bill without needing to switch providers. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • evuka
    evuka Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yesterday was a No Spend Day here. :T
    Been paid. Paid my rent straight off, Then subtracted £330 from the remaining balance. I moved all that into savings so am now 5% of the way. I then doubled checked my Utility Warehouse bill and that was less then I thought so I moved the difference into savings, as well as £2 from the frugal budget that I struggled to allocate.

Way to go, indigowarrior! :beer: Seeing the numbers adding up defo gives you some thrills!

I did my groceries yesterday and also bought some not-so-essential items: colouring markers and a colouring book (HB and £land) and moisturiser (which defleated my toiletries budget but I feel no regret as in the past year I made my own facial moisturiser and body lotion).

Aiming for a NSD, cleaning/laundry and perhaps even a little gardening in my front garden.

Decided to repaint my furniture. I have a cabinet I really wanted to get rid of as it is so dark and doesn't suit the rest of my living room furniture but my rescue cat loves it.

I allocated £500 for the year as "anything else" which is not part of my Frugal Living Challenge budget. Originally, I wanted to buy new(-to-me) furniture on this money but after consideration, I went for Annie Slo@ns chalk paints and will revamp not only my lounge but my bedroom furniture as well.
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2018 at 7:29PM
    Options
    My spends for today has been:
    Food £0/£150
    Electric: £40/£40
    Takeaway £12.50/£20
    Transport: £0/£20
    Gifts: £10/£10
    Eating Out: £0/10
    Clothing: £0/£20
    Sundries: £0/£10
    Entertainment: £0/£20
    Total: £62.50/£300

I may use what I have saved so far to clear one of my debts. It is with Perfect Home (a rent to own company) and has a balance of £345.36 and an APR of 89%. If i don't clear the account tomorrow then I will finish paying the account at the end of June. Perfect Home in my opinion can be very heavy handed in their tactics. Constant phone calls and texts. For example: A fortnight ago I paid 3 weeks in advance. So imagine my surprise to get a text from the company saying that they need to discuss my account. I logged on to my account and found that I owed £2.45. I mean seriously!

I have lost my bank card so need to wait for that to arrive. I will make a choice on what to do then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport