Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooops long time no post!

I been busy :D

I've been to the gym!! :eek::eek::j:D

Had my assessment and got sorted with a programme from one of the instructors, and have been several times now. It's taking me nearly 2 hrs but that's OK, it's doable 2-3 times a week and I am already noticing a difference. I'm also trying to be a little more careful with what I eat and to only eat when I'm actually hungry - with me that makes my eating patterns a bit random but will persevere. I also need to try and drink a lot more as I do forget.

I'm continuing the big spring clean and just need to get the local furniture charity to take the sofa away so I can reshuffle things more. Haven't got any scanning done yet but if I can get the boxes moved I can do it gradually and not have to feel guilty about them blocking up the place.

Moneywise things are going OK as I got my acting up back pay :) and also some travel costs for the scary interview (despite claiming late, so that was a bonus). I'm holding £225 aside for the dental work that I still haven't booked yet :o - really must do that, it's a complete pain that they only answer in work hours as work has been a bit mad and I never get the phone calls done. Really must sort that and the sofa removal. Anyway despite minor splurges on spring cleaning related bits I appear to have about £120 left for the 11 days to payday. Am just hoping I haven't forgotten something, but I have been very good and tracked it all in my spreadsheet so hopefully it will be OK. No big plans for the weekends or anything, just more tidying :rotfl: so am hoping I may even manage to shave a bit more off the OD.

Oh yeah and the other minor splurges have been gym clothes, but they were TK Maxx anyway. Except for the sports bra which is effectively 10% off with the Brav1ssimo loyalty scheme. And I got matching shorts :D from Ebay.

There's a possibility of a job to apply for as ones relating to my current type post should be advertised very shortly. Really hoping will turn out to be another grade up and I do think I would have a good chance at it. Also got feedback from scary interview and although I missed the minimum score, I do think I should be able to hit it on another go next year. So options available :)

Oh, and I met a rather gorgeous man through work :j - no idea if he's single or not, but it's fab just to be reminded that fit and lovely men do exist. I thought he'd turn out to be way younger than me but found him on LinkedIn and he's not :) Should manage to see him at some future meetings too so cross fingers everybody please :D

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Everything crossed here for you Rosa :D it does make the working day so much more interesting when there's a bit of male totty on the horizon ;)

How is your futon bag going? I've recently brought my sewing machine out of retirement and have made a cushion cover so far. Basic but I'm quite proud of it. Hoping to progress onto curtains soon....I was like a kid in a sweet shop the other day when I found a gorgeous fabric shop :)
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • lionheartedgirl
    Options
    de-lurking to say hello! I've been reading but not posting - sounds like lots of lovely things are going your way. and will definitely keep everything crossed re the man :cool:

hope the mogs are well :)
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    polesalot wrote: »
    Everything crossed here for you Rosa :D it does make the working day so much more interesting when there's a bit of male totty on the horizon ;)

How is your futon bag going? I've recently brought my sewing machine out of retirement and have made a cushion cover so far. Basic but I'm quite proud of it. Hoping to progress onto curtains soon....I was like a kid in a sweet shop the other day when I found a gorgeous fabric shop :)

Thank you :D you're right, it has brightened up my day no end. I don't work directly with him either so don't have to worry about any potential issues there. I actually met him a week or so before I really registered how cute he was as he joined my boss's workgroup at a meeting - I thought 'blimey, he's far better looking than I expected for the geeks I work with' :rotfl: and then got distracted with work stuff. The next time I met him he walked me to the meeting room despite being busy sorting out something and I thought, he's lovely as well as cute and smart and having fab shoulders... :D :heartpuls

The futon thing hasn't really gone anywhere yet as I need to get the dratted other sofa out before I'll have space to work on it. That's too heavy for me to move as it has a metal sofabed mechanism in it, so I can't really just put it out for the council. But I have been looking at fabrics and ordered a couple of samples today. I don't think the standard fabric bolt will be wide enough to cover a double futon mattress, so am thinking of having a kind of panel down the middle with a pattern and then panels at either side in a toning solid colour. I think that should still be fairly simple as it only means sewing the edges together, and I can just close it with velcro. Was in Hobbycra5t today and picked up an organiser box for threads, plus I got a sewing book from the library - so tomorrow I must clear some paperwork off the kitchen table :o and make room to get the machine out for a bit of practice. I keep looking at the courses locally but they just seem SO expensive - I mean, £60 for a day making a cushion? I can curse the machine and phone my mum for free :rotfl:

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    de-lurking to say hello! I've been reading but not posting - sounds like lots of lovely things are going your way. and will definitely keep everything crossed re the man :cool:

hope the mogs are well :)

Thank you :A

The mogs are well - that is, big mog is well but in trouble today for both bullying little mog and jumping on the worktop. Little mog's sensitive tum still isn't sorted but she's well in every other way so am not too worried about it. She's finally grown her coat in so you can't see where the mats had to be cut out, and although she's still a nervous wreck she's a very funny sweet little cat.

Rosa xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Have you thought about advertising the sofa you want to get rid of on Freecycle Rosa? that way it can go to a good home, and you won't need to pay for someone to collect it. x
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• lionheartedgirl
    Options
    Normal bolt sizes used to be 48" or 60" which is a pain for upholstery - but sometimes Ikea and the like go much wider. Not sure if you have any markets or fabric warehouses near you but if you don't mind plain/neutral colours you may find something that will suit.

£60 is a joke for a course to make cushions! I saw a course to make frilly knickers for £40 and I thought that was a bit steep (and I know which I would prefer :rotfl: ). I reckon an afternoon of screeching will see you right - is there anything on youtube re. a tutorial?
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Have you thought about advertising the sofa you want to get rid of on Freecycle Rosa? that way it can go to a good home, and you won't need to pay for someone to collect it. x

Ooh, that might be a plan, thanks. Will have a think about it if the furniture place don't sort it soon. Would still need two people to shift it though.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with strangers coming to the house tbh :o. I'm visibly on my own, no dog and no alarm, and feel a bit more vulnerable than I did when at least it looked like bloke flatmate was around. I know it's really just paranoia but being careful about my safety has paid off through all the years that I lived in dodgy bits of the city! Only really realised this when I was debating what to do about stuff that would need to be collection for Ebay, and decided worrying about it wasn't worth the money. So those things are going to the charity shop next month and when I do get round to Ebay it will be the postable stuff.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Normal bolt sizes used to be 48" or 60" which is a pain for upholstery - but sometimes Ikea and the like go much wider. Not sure if you have any markets or fabric warehouses near you but if you don't mind plain/neutral colours you may find something that will suit.

£60 is a joke for a course to make cushions! I saw a course to make frilly knickers for £40 and I thought that was a bit steep (and I know which I would prefer :rotfl: ). I reckon an afternoon of screeching will see you right - is there anything on youtube re. a tutorial?

Hmm, I could organise an Ikea trip but it does run the risk of spending more on all the other things :rotfl:. Mum used to know some cheap fabric places but I think it shut down as a lot of them were losing out to online. I only really want something plain as I'd like it to last ages - I'm assuming that even if I move again I can keep the futons for a spare room.

I picked up a dummies guide to sewing machine in the library so will read through that and phone mum if I get stuck!

Frilly knickers making does sound much preferable. I quite fancy having a go at dressmaking too, but need to start with the easy stuff first :)

Rosa xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ooh, that might be a plan, thanks. Will have a think about it if the furniture place don't sort it soon. Would still need two people to shift it though.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with strangers coming to the house tbh :o. I'm visibly on my own, no dog and no alarm, and feel a bit more vulnerable than I did when at least it looked like bloke flatmate was around. I know it's really just paranoia but being careful about my safety has paid off through all the years that I lived in dodgy bits of the city! Only really realised this when I was debating what to do about stuff that would need to be collection for Ebay, and decided worrying about it wasn't worth the money. So those things are going to the charity shop next month and when I do get round to Ebay it will be the postable stuff.

Rosa xx

I know what you mean, I sometimes feel a bit iffy giving out my address for freecycle - do you have a male friend that could be around when the sofa is collected perhaps - he could bring some shoes to leave by the door and perhaps a couple of tops to leave around the place if you want to make his presence really convincing .
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport