PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying Advice

Hi there,

I've recently been accepted to buy a Shared Ownership property, however I'm wondering if it's the best time to do so...

I take home roughly £1,600 per month, I'm single and would be buying in a village roughly 40 minutes commuting distance from where I work. I've been told I can afford a 35% share of a £250,000 three bedroom house, and I've worked out that it will cost me in total £986 per month in mortgage, rent, service charges, council tax and bills. I've budgeted £200 per month for fuel and a further £200 for groceries, which brings my total to £1386 per month.

I've been looking under the provision that I'll need to have the extra rooms further down the line, and for now I can just take a paying lodger to help cover the costs, however it may be harder as it is a village not within easy commuting distance if you don't have a car.

The house is a new build semi-detached house in East Anglia. My worries are if I can afford to live happily using the above budgeting (which I have been for a couple of years now, however renting at only £500/month), and also if the housing market is to drop, I would lose what I've put into it.

Any advice?

Comments

• Tying yourself to somewhere in a small village "not within easy commuting distance" is a big step. I am not sure a "new build shared ownership" in such a place will be an easy sell if you ever want to move away. Why not see what is available to rent nearer work, to cut down your commute time and release all those travel expenses. This might enable you to save up a deposit for your own house reasonably quickly.
  • Thanks, I'm currently renting within the city (5 mins from work) and have done for the past 5 or so years, so I'm looking for the space and additional options I get with home ownership (renting in Cambridge does NOT get you a lot for your money, and house share is the only reasonable way)
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ah, now you have mentioned Cambridge it becomes clearer. My daughter lives 20 miles south west of there and the prices are just mad. Oxford and Cambridge are the least affordable places outside London in the country.
  • Do you specifically want to live in a village? Have you considered St Neots? Nice market town, plenty of things to do/good shops etc. I have a friend who lives there, it's (from memory) about half an hour to Cambridge.
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure