Everest Windows - 'The Worst' - Grateful for advice please

Comments

• gcrookes26 wrote: »
    I am new to this. We have just cancelled our order with Everest having paid £2000 deposit. Any advice on how to get this deposit back would be gratefully received. Placed order in late May promised installation by end of September now told wont start till 12 November because of high demand for their product and cant get a builder till November. Final straw they will not commit to a completion date. Can I go to the small claims court or do I have to go through their complaints procedure?

You could go through the courts if you'd rather not go through the complaints procedure first. Going through the complaints procedure won't prevent you from going to court later if that doesn't work.

Was the September promise in writing? Was it in the contract? How it was written is important.
  • FreebirdUK
    FreebirdUK Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 2:21PM
    UPDATE

Ok, windows to be installed in 4 days time (2 months after proised), and today a call from Everest (somehow I wasnt surprised). I am now told that they can fit the windows on Monday as arranged but there is a problem with the door. I asked what sort of problem, she couldnt say, she said she would keep asking for updates and would then update me. I asked what sort of time are they talking about, at first she said she didnt know. I said it cant be open ended, she said oh no probably a couple of weeks. Im expecting more problems in the weeks to come. What a bunch of cowboys.
    We will only be paying for the windows, not the door. Can anyone advise me if I can cancel the door withour any hassle as this is just dragging on and to be honest I am sick of this company and just want to see the back of them.
  • My partner and I have saved up for 8 years to renew our windows, doors and conservatory. After different companies proposing to us, we settled on Everest because we believed by paying a bit more and using this well known company, we would get the best. In May we were assured that the work would be done before Christmas because in 2019 my partner and I would not be in the country. I currently live and work abroad for a period and partner is due to join me before Christmas so installation would not be possible during 2019. One of of the ways offered to reduce the total price by 5% was to sign up for finance with Home Solutions, who have a deal with Everest to provide such a discount and then I was told before the first payment, or in between the first and second payment, i can’t be sure exactly, I would Pay off the full amount to them and therefore we would apparently not be subject to the interest imposed by taking out the finance, due to a consumer credit law that enabled this, however it didn’t sit comfortably with me at all, so on the 28th May I sent a text to the Regional manager to say as much and insisted that this financial agreement must be cancelled as I was inside my cooling off period of 14 days, and to increase the price by 5% and I was happy to pay. I didn’t want to be party to such shenanigans. As a result the contract was amended. We received notification that the conservatory would be provisionally booked to be installed on 8th October. I booked a flight home to be there for the installation. At this stage, We still hadn’t heard a single thing about the installation of the windows and doors. My partner and I were calling regularly with no success so I reverted to contacting the salesman through WhatsApp to find out what was going on. On August 1st, I was trying to establish what progress had been made regarding the windows and doors. I was told it was with the tech team. We tried to get through to speak with someone at Everest for updates in August and September with no success. On 21st September I text the salesman and asked for an update. Not one person had contacted us. I could literally only get a response from The salesman through text message for updates and information. In one of his texts I was told that communication is something that has been addressed in the company and it's not only ourselves that were having problems and apparently there's been a big turnover in staff at the call centre. My partner and I tried to contact Everest many times and ended up having to revert back to old fashioned text messages with the original salesman for information and updates. It materialized that there seemed to be a problem for constructing a simple portal frame for the bifold doors to go into the sunroom. Something that is so simple to do. Since it was very important to get the work done by the end of the year, I was getting concerned that the widows and doors wouldn’t be installed in October. On the 24th September I was told that a local engineer could construct the portal frame within a week. The next day 25th September, I was informed by text that the order had been given to the director because of the trouble it had caused us, and it shouldn’t be a stressful process, especially considering the money we have spent. In the same text we were told that he had spoken to the area manager who decided to get senior management involved, and they were unhappy as they think they are the best but they hadn’t achieved that. He went on to say that the project would not be installed on the 10th October. We were so disappointed. After over 4 months, could a company be so incompetent, as not to be able to do something so easy. Just to say up to this point, no one from operations had contacted us whatsoever. All our information and updates were from the salesman. On the 26th September I was told by text that the reason for this was due to one of the companies making the portal frames had pulled out last minute and they are looking for another company to replace them, and now that the director was involved things should get resolved fairly quickly.
    Nothing happened. No one contacted us. We tried to get in touch with someone, the only person we were able to talk to from customer services was as frustrated as we were. During one particular conversation on the 2nd October with customer services my partner was told the windows, doors and sunroom contract had been cancelled due to the problem with the portal frame. Not one person from Everest had called us since the contract was signed back in May. We were the ones fighting for scraps of information.
    I told the salesman what we were told. On 3rd October, He informed me by text message that it wasn’t cancelled and the situation has been brought to the attention of every manger and the CEO in relation to operations mistakes, and that operations had been bombarded with emails and calls from his managers and if they don’t call us, he wouldn’t like to be in their shoes. He went on to write that, he was embarrassed with what’s happened and that it was a joke. He wrote that there were certain people in the company that had really let them down and ruined their reputation not to mention causing us and other customers an unbelievable amount Of stress. we were becoming incredibly stressed. The “provisional” installation date of the conservatory was changed from the 8th October to the 10th. I flew back to the UK on the 7th October specifically for this, using two weeks annual leave, anticipating installation of Windows, doors, sunroom and conservatory. By now it was clear that only the conservatory would be installed in October. On 8th October I spoke to operations who called me, but would get back to me. shortly after I spoke to the regional manager on the phone. He told us that hand on his heart, in all his career with Everest he had never known Everest let a customer down or treat somebody, the way they have us. That he himself sent out 30 or 40 emails and he’d even sent a grievance complaint to the CEO regarding what operations have done and how we have been treated, and that the only reason operations called me was that the CEO made him do so. He also said that if the windows and doors couldn’t be installed to hold off on the conservatory because obviously everything has to match. He said that if the windows and doors couldn’t be fitted we would be entitled to receive our deposit back because the company has broken the contract. He also added that when all the work is done I should be asking for some kind of compensation for the shoddy customer service and he would help us with that and we could get some recompense for all the nonsense and messing about we have endured. He said he was completely speechless with what has happened. We didn’t want to cancel anything. We didn’t have time. Despite what had gone on. We needed the work done before Christmas. Then On 10th October the Morning of the installation of the conservatory, I received a phone call from the installation team to say they won’t be installing the conservatory now, and it was postponed. Apparently the ridge was damaged. We were devastated. Let down yet again. We couldn’t believe it. I came home from the other side of the world and both my partner and I had sacrificed our annual leave for 2018 for nothing. A few days later operations called me to say that the sunroom also couldn’t be done. They had run out of ideas. I told them to just deduct the sunroom off the contract and I would find someone else to do it, in order to get things moving. we were not happy and It was now going to cost us more than they reduced the price by and we were very angry and frustrated because if they had told us from the beginning, they couldn’t do it, we would never have gone with Everest. We wanted one company to do the whole job. We needed the work done so I managed to book a week off in December. From October 11th until now beginning of December we have heard absolutely nothing from the conservatory department. Not a thing despite me leaving messages and calling all people. I was speaking to a gentleman from the windows and doors side of the business who was trying to arrange that side of it. Eventually on 14th November the operations gentleman called me to say that unfortunately they had supply chain problems with manufacturing certain arched windows they had quoted for, and that the work could not be done until 2019. This was not possible as they knew we were not going to be there. Besides. By this stage after nearly 6 months we decided that enough was enough and We couldn’t go on anymore. I was and I still am suffering a lot of stress and depression due to how we have been treated, as has my girlfriend.
    I contacted the customer service department and requested our deposits back due to what has, or more accurately, hasn’t happened. This was declined and we were told that we should allow access for them to do the work. That they are willing to go ahead. Unbelievable. This would be next year. We are not here next year. In 2019 we are not going to be in the the uk. They knew this in May 2018. Nothing has happened. I have now filed a smalls claim court proceedings against Everest. All we want are our deposits of £6,686 and for Everest to get out of our lives. We are fair and straight people. In 7 months. Nothing has been done. Despite all the messing about by Everest. Buying a ticket Flying to the UK for a cancelled installation and wasting two weeks leave. We just want what is ours back. £6,686. We don’t want extra compensation although everyone we talk to says we should. To tell us that we should let them continue is insulting. I’m depressed. Having to goto court to get our money back is going to cost us money and make my partner stressed and depressed. We will have to fly to the UK for one day to attend. Which we will. But all this disruption and extra cost to our lives because of the incredible incompetency of Everest.

Please. Avoid using Everest.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Rendered a bit more legible.
    My partner and I have saved up for 8 years to renew our windows, doors and conservatory.

After different companies proposing to us, we settled on Everest because we believed by paying a bit more and using this well known company, we would get the best.
    In May we were assured that the work would be done before Christmas because in 2019 my partner and I would not be in the country. I currently live and work abroad for a period and partner is due to join me before Christmas so installation would not be possible during 2019.

One of of the ways offered to reduce the total price by 5% was to sign up for finance with Home Solutions, who have a deal with Everest to provide such a discount and then I was told before the first payment, or in between the first and second payment, i can’t be sure exactly, I would Pay off the full amount to them and therefore we would apparently not be subject to the interest imposed by taking out the finance, due to a consumer credit law that enabled this, however it didn’t sit comfortably with me at all, so on the 28th May I sent a text to the Regional manager to say as much and insisted that this financial agreement must be cancelled as I was inside my cooling off period of 14 days, and to increase the price by 5% and I was happy to pay. I didn’t want to be party to such shenanigans. As a result the contract was amended.

We received notification that the conservatory would be provisionally booked to be installed on 8th October. I booked a flight home to be there for the installation. At this stage, We still hadn’t heard a single thing about the installation of the windows and doors. My partner and I were calling regularly with no success so I reverted to contacting the salesman through WhatsApp to find out what was going on.

On August 1st, I was trying to establish what progress had been made regarding the windows and doors. I was told it was with the tech team. We tried to get through to speak with someone at Everest for updates in August and September with no success.
    On 21st September I text the salesman and asked for an update. Not one person had contacted us. I could literally only get a response from The salesman through text message for updates and information. In one of his texts I was told that communication is something that has been addressed in the company and it's not only ourselves that were having problems and apparently there's been a big turnover in staff at the call centre. My partner and I tried to contact Everest many times and ended up having to revert back to old fashioned text messages with the original salesman for information and updates.
    It materialized that there seemed to be a problem for constructing a simple portal frame for the bifold doors to go into the sunroom. Something that is so simple to do. Since it was very important to get the work done by the end of the year, I was getting concerned that the widows and doors wouldn’t be installed in October.

On the 24th September I was told that a local engineer could construct the portal frame within a week. The next day 25th September, I was informed by text that the order had been given to the director because of the trouble it had caused us, and it shouldn’t be a stressful process, especially considering the money we have spent. In the same text we were told that he had spoken to the area manager who decided to get senior management involved, and they were unhappy as they think they are the best but they hadn’t achieved that. He went on to say that the project would not be installed on the 10th October. We were so disappointed. After over 4 months, could a company be so incompetent, as not to be able to do something so easy. Just to say up to this point, no one from operations had contacted us whatsoever. All our information and updates were from the salesman.

On the 26th September I was told by text that the reason for this was due to one of the companies making the portal frames had pulled out last minute and they are looking for another company to replace them, and now that the director was involved things should get resolved fairly quickly.
    Nothing happened. No one contacted us. We tried to get in touch with someone, the only person we were able to talk to from customer services was as frustrated as we were. During one particular conversation on the 2nd October with customer services my partner was told the windows, doors and sunroom contract had been cancelled due to the problem with the portal frame. Not one person from Everest had called us since the contract was signed back in May. We were the ones fighting for scraps of information.
    I told the salesman what we were told.

On 3rd October, He informed me by text message that it wasn’t cancelled and the situation has been brought to the attention of every manger and the CEO in relation to operations mistakes, and that operations had been bombarded with emails and calls from his managers and if they don’t call us, he wouldn’t like to be in their shoes. He went on to write that, he was embarrassed with what’s happened and that it was a joke. He wrote that there were certain people in the company that had really let them down and ruined their reputation not to mention causing us and other customers an unbelievable amount Of stress. we were becoming incredibly stressed. The “provisional” installation date of the conservatory was changed from the 8th October to the 10th. I flew back to the UK on the 7th October specifically for this, using two weeks annual leave, anticipating installation of Windows, doors, sunroom and conservatory. By now it was clear that only the conservatory would be installed in October.

On 8th October I spoke to operations who called me, but would get back to me. shortly after I spoke to the regional manager on the phone. He told us that hand on his heart, in all his career with Everest he had never known Everest let a customer down or treat somebody, the way they have us. That he himself sent out 30 or 40 emails and he’d even sent a grievance complaint to the CEO regarding what operations have done and how we have been treated, and that the only reason operations called me was that the CEO made him do so. He also said that if the windows and doors couldn’t be installed to hold off on the conservatory because obviously everything has to match. He said that if the windows and doors couldn’t be fitted we would be entitled to receive our deposit back because the company has broken the contract. He also added that when all the work is done I should be asking for some kind of compensation for the shoddy customer service and he would help us with that and we could get some recompense for all the nonsense and messing about we have endured. He said he was completely speechless with what has happened. We didn’t want to cancel anything. We didn’t have time. Despite what had gone on. We needed the work done before Christmas. Then On 10th October the Morning of the installation of the conservatory, I received a phone call from the installation team to say they won’t be installing the conservatory now, and it was postponed. Apparently the ridge was damaged. We were devastated. Let down yet again. We couldn’t believe it. I came home from the other side of the world and both my partner and I had sacrificed our annual leave for 2018 for nothing. A few days later operations called me to say that the sunroom also couldn’t be done. They had run out of ideas. I told them to just deduct the sunroom off the contract and I would find someone else to do it, in order to get things moving. we were not happy and It was now going to cost us more than they reduced the price by and we were very angry and frustrated because if they had told us from the beginning, they couldn’t do it, we would never have gone with Everest. We wanted one company to do the whole job. We needed the work done so I managed to book a week off in December. From October 11th until now beginning of December we have heard absolutely nothing from the conservatory department. Not a thing despite me leaving messages and calling all people. I was speaking to a gentleman from the windows and doors side of the business who was trying to arrange that side of it. Eventually on 14th November the operations gentleman called me to say that unfortunately they had supply chain problems with manufacturing certain arched windows they had quoted for, and that the work could not be done until 2019. This was not possible as they knew we were not going to be there. Besides. By this stage after nearly 6 months we decided that enough was enough and We couldn’t go on anymore. I was and I still am suffering a lot of stress and depression due to how we have been treated, as has my girlfriend.

I contacted the customer service department and requested our deposits back due to what has, or more accurately, hasn’t happened. This was declined and we were told that we should allow access for them to do the work. That they are willing to go ahead. Unbelievable. This would be next year. We are not here next year. In 2019 we are not going to be in the the uk. They knew this in May 2018. Nothing has happened. I have now filed a smalls claim court proceedings against Everest. All we want are our deposits of £6,686 and for Everest to get out of our lives. We are fair and straight people. In 7 months. Nothing has been done. Despite all the messing about by Everest. Buying a ticket Flying to the UK for a cancelled installation and wasting two weeks leave. We just want what is ours back. £6,686. We don’t want extra compensation although everyone we talk to says we should. To tell us that we should let them continue is insulting. I’m depressed. Having to goto court to get our money back is going to cost us money and make my partner stressed and depressed. We will have to fly to the UK for one day to attend. Which we will. But all this disruption and extra cost to our lives because of the incredible incompetency of Everest.

Please. Avoid using Everest.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Were you bored and needed something to do? :D
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    DoaM wrote: »
    Were you bored and needed something to do? :D

Yes :D

I thought she might get more replies if people could actually read it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pimento wrote: »
    Yes :D

I thought she might get more replies if people could actually read it.

It's just too long.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thank you Pimento. You are fabulous.

Lincroft. I know it’s long. There is so much we have left out to keep it this short.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It could still do with more paragraphs. Did Everest make the keyboard and forget to put a return key on?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you Pimento. You are fabulous.

Lincroft. I know it’s long. There is so much we have left out to keep it this short.

Sorry, but that is not short, it must be one of the longest posts on MSE. Is there any way you could highlight the most salient points.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure