PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: nothing
    Out: brown lentils, spinach, root ginger
    Used up: bacon
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s a few years since I participated but I really really need to save money and use the dregs. I had a carbonara the other day that had a BBE fresh of 2016

So I’m back. Might not be a daily post but I’m going to use this inspiration (saving the link ) to help me spend less in October (and September)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Finally used one of the cabbages that has been camping in the back of the fridge since the last week in August. Cost of two sad leaves and a bit more trimming than normal round the root. Added to half an onion, the middle of a head of celery and a veg stock thing, herbs, tabasco, Worcester sauce and a little cream and butter - yummy fresh soup.

Made a second batch with roasted onion, tomato and leek with the rest of the cabbage and it is in the slow cooker. Smells OK
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • caronc
    Options
    In: runner beans
    Out: rump steak, peppercorn sauce, chicken stuffed with haggis, pitta
    Used up: LO curry
  • caronc
    Options
    Out: tea bags, mash
    Used up: cheese spread, peppercorn sauce
  • Thorhalla
    Options
    I had a mystery meal out of the freezer last night - mashed potatoes, veggies, and some bits and bobs wrapped in tinfoil. The garlic bread was fine, but what I thought was a bean burger turned out to be a cherry scone! That’ll teach me not to unwrap things before they go in the oven!
  • caronc
    Options
    I've certainly been the victim of a few UFOs (unidentified frozen objects) in my time too Thorhalla:rotfl:

Out: Butternut squash & blackbean chilli, pitta
    Used up: kholrabi slaw
  • caronc
    Options
    Out: turkey scraps, turkey stock, sausages
    Used up: celery
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thorhalla wrote: »
    I had a mystery meal out of the freezer last night - mashed potatoes, veggies, and some bits and bobs wrapped in tinfoil. The garlic bread was fine, but what I thought was a bean burger turned out to be a cherry scone! That’ll teach me not to unwrap things before they go in the oven!

After a 14 hour day today, I cannot tell you how much this made my laugh. Thank you so much for sharing :rotfl::T
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Getting my head around what I've got in my cupboards and freezer after a week away - I've managed to make us lunch for 2 days with the oddments of salad which survived in the fridge plus pitta breads from the freezer and mayo instead of humous (yuk!!:o)

Out: 6 mini pittas
    In: Nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport