Old carpetbagging BS accounts

Options
Hi
Have read a lot on here regarding keeping old BS accounts open in case they are taken over. I am doing some account housekeeping and wonder if i should keep my Chelsea, West Bromwich and Brittannia accounts, i have had these for years when all the carpetbagging was taking place. Are we ever likely to see these BS taken over and bonuses paid
thanks

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    Hi
    Have read a lot on here regarding keeping old BS accounts open in case they are taken over. I am doing some account housekeeping and wonder if i should keep my Chelsea, West Bromwich and Brittannia accounts, i have had these for years when all the carpetbagging was taking place. Are we ever likely to see these BS taken over and bonuses paid
    thanks

Britannia and Chelsea already have been taken over - by the Co-op Bank and Yorkshire BS respectively. If you didn't get a windfall then you won't know.

West Brom meanwhile has a charitable assignment clause, so any proceeds of any sale go to charity, not to you.

Carpetbagging's dead.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I opened a string of BS accounts around the time Nationwide took over the Portman BS with the hope of some windfalls. It was far too late to benefit. The accounts have slowly been whittled down as takeovers/mergers have occurred and now I only keep the remainder open to maintain membership for the purpose of being eligible for member only offers/accounts.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    i am sure i took out the W.Brmwich before the charitable clause was added
    What if the Yorkshire and CO-OP is ever taken over will i qualify then?
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    No chance with the Co-op Bank, as you are not a member. It is, and always was a plc, previously owned in full by the Co-operative Group but now owned by a range of investor owners. You will get nothing.

With Yorkshire Building Society, possibly, paragraph 44 in their rules seems to suggest on winding up any remaining worth will be distributed to members, but this is exceptionally unlikely to ever happen. No one would be interested in buying.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    Carpetbagging's dead.
    Agree, that horse bolted years ago
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

West Brom meanwhile has a charitable assignment clause, so any proceeds of any sale go to charity, not to you.

But would that apply retrospectively, given that the OP has (in a later post) indicated that they became a member before the clause existed? I wouldn't have thought so unless they opened a new account post-clause and closed the original account.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    West Brom meanwhile has a charitable assignment clause, so any proceeds of any sale go to charity, not to you
    Only for the first 5 years from opening an account, after which the charitable assignment agreement expires.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Ok thanks so get rid off Brittania and may keep W.Bromwich and Chelsea?
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    Ok thanks so get rid off Brittania and may keep W.Bromwich and Chelsea?

There is no point in keeping any account in the hope of a windfall because carpetbagging is dead.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Britannia was technically insolvent when the Co-op rescued it and those bad loans then nearly brought the whole group down, so I assumed OP was asking tongue in cheek!
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport