Suspended – what to do?

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ref #60

Nicechap, while I agree with most of your post, I do not feel the thread you refer to is a great example for Elinore. The person in that thread was patently guilty of the transgression of which they were accused. While Elinore has admitted refusing a direct order from this new manager, her reasons for doing so are those of integrity, not laziness.
  • Ive been thinking about this and surely if he doesn't end well the OP has a case for a tribunal?

I understand that you need to follow your managers instruction, but the OP has signed a document saying they wouldn't do what was asked. If you compare that to say someone working in sales is under contract not to inform other customers what everyone pays, if your manager asked you to email customer As prices to customer B but refused to put their request in writing. When customer A puts in the complaint, without 'evidence' you were asked to do this, who's head would be on the line?, especially when the manager denies all knowledge of asking. That can't be right that employees are expected to take the fall for Managers when asked to do something they have signed they won't (I appreciate its different if you are requested to do something you just don't want to!)
  • Smodlet
    Ahhh, if only life was fair. I think many managers become managers because they excel at making others take the fall for their transgressions. Managers can seldom be wrong; they are managers, not a mere minion; it must be the minion's fault! Managers are harder to recruit...
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Ive been thinking about this and surely if he doesn't end well the OP has a case for a tribunal?

I understand that you need to follow your managers instruction, but the OP has signed a document saying they wouldn't do what was asked. If you compare that to say someone working in sales is under contract not to inform other customers what everyone pays, if your manager asked you to email customer As prices to customer B but refused to put their request in writing. When customer A puts in the complaint, without 'evidence' you were asked to do this, who's head would be on the line?, especially when the manager denies all knowledge of asking. That can't be right that employees are expected to take the fall for Managers when asked to do something they have signed they won't (I appreciate its different if you are requested to do something you just don't want to!)
    Had the OP listened and raised a grievance when advised, maybe. Now her grievance (if that is what it is) just looks vexatious.
  • Elinore wrote: »

To be fair i fell foul of a split role and my loyalty lay with the supplier as they were my team for several years, looked after me and it was with them i had a great work bond. So when advised the throw them under the bus work wise and give out their login i know how outraged they would have been. I forgot the golden rule, he who pays you holds all the cards.

You won't say this in your disciplinary meeting, though, will you?

nicechap wrote: »

EDITED TO ADD: As well as following other people's advice, i would argue that your concern all through was to protect the company from losing such an important client/ income stream, or at the very least avoid damaging the relationship between the companies.

Absolutely this. Your defence at disciplinary, IMHO, should be that you have been trying to act IN THE INTERESTS OF YOUR COMPANY throughout (and BTW I do believe this to be the case). You understood the contract with the external suppliers, and to your mind the incoming new manager needed further explanation of this. Instead of being able to explain it to him, he suspended you. You are concerned that [some tactful flummery should follow about how he could not be expected to absorb the whole thing immediately, but you would have hoped he'd have talked to you more about it. Give him a bit of face saving so there is no risk of you looking vindictive.] his actions in redeploying you might lead to the loss of a very big contract for the company, and everything you have done has been in an attempt to maintain the integrity of the contract and the firm.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    I am a very very lucky person.

It seems that my old manager went to war, brought along my mirror manager at the supplier firm as well as a higher up. Apparently there was a ruckus and harsh words.

I have been given a verbal warning, a sharp talking to and I am due to return to work on Monday.

Under the umbrella of my old manager.

Ex New manager was unbearably smug as he got his own way. This being said the supplier was rather upset with his handling of the whole matter - So I hope he gets some heat from his superiors.

Don’t worry, I have gathered that this is all a political battle and has very little to do we me as a person (I just got caught in the crossfire) and more regarding the role itself being manned. In no way means I am bullet proof in my role – but I can’t tell you what a relief this outcome was.

PS - the union rep was totally different during the meeting, sat by me and argued for England. Though the cynical side of me says she was on HRs side when she thought the chips were going to fall that way and suddenly came out fighting my side when the tables turned. But to be fair to her she was firm and clear with them regards the issues at hand - which, as I was basically a frightened upset mess, was desperately needed. For that she has my undying thanks.

jobbingmusician - thanks for your comments, only just seen now but what, in essence, my rep argued. :)

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    I'm very pleased to hear your successful outcome and pleased to hear the union did well for you. So many of the threads on here would disappear if people were in unions, supported them and used them when needed.

Might still be time to dust off the CV.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Smodlet
    What a brilliant outcome, Elinore! Thank you for coming back to update us. Too often OP's do not extend this courtesy to those who have taken an interest and offered support on here. I hope ex-new manager is crucified and hung out to dry. Lucky you, you have bucked the trend.

Don't let there be a next time, will you? And don't forget to pay your union subs. Ain't nothing free in this world.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm pleased for you and you have a couple of days to get yourself back together as it were!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Yes a very good outcome and thanks for telling us. But, and this is the lesson for everyone, your employer pays you. Don't fight battles for people who don't pay you. It could have easily gone the other way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure