universal credit and housing payment

hi can anyone help,to start off i have worked all my life full time accept for 3 months ibetween jobs when i was made redundant. I am currently on ssp following a diagnosis of a cronic illness and have had to apply for uc.I have rented my home for the last 9 years from my parents whom have owned the property for a lot longer and rented it out prior to me moving in. I have a tenancy agreement, and pay rent every month, and claimed HB for the 3 months I was unemployed a few years back. I have just applied for UC and have received a questionairre about my tenancy, I am now really stressed in case they dont cover the housing part. I will be evicted if I cant pay the rent as there is a mortgage on the property. Does anyone have any experience in this? My area has a shortage of 2 beds, 2 bed social housign is scarse and i need to stay in this area for my daughters school. Hoping someone can help me?.....

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    skyelilly wrote: »
    hi can anyone help,to start off i have worked all my life full time accept for 3 months ibetween jobs when i was made redundant. I am currently on ssp following a diagnosis of a cronic illness and have had to apply for uc.I have rented my home for the last 9 years from my parents whom have owned the property for a lot longer and rented it out prior to me moving in. I have a tenancy agreement, and pay rent every month, and claimed HB for the 3 months I was unemployed a few years back. I have just applied for UC and have received a questionairre about my tenancy, I am now really stressed in case they dont cover the housing part. I will be evicted if I cant pay the rent as there is a mortgage on the property. Does anyone have any experience in this? My area has a shortage of 2 beds, 2 bed social housign is scarse and i need to stay in this area for my daughters school. Hoping someone can help me?.....

A decision maker will decide whether you have a contrived tenancy.

In your favour is the fact that it was previously rented out and your parents would evict you if you defaulted on the rent. The tenancy agreement would show the date the tenancy began which would also show that it was not contrived to receive Universal Credit.

Information here:

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-0759/Contrived_tenancies_v4.0.pdf

The decision maker will ask for further evidence if required.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2018 at 5:43PM
    All you can do is go through the process, I know that's horribly stressful though.

In your favour:

you've been renting from your parents for a long time, whilst working - take evidence of that.

prior to you renting it someone else did

It was previously considered a commercial tenancy in order to be paid housing benefit for those three months

You would be evicted if you didn't pay your rent

From experience at your first universal credit appointment, when you take your tenancy agreement, the person you see will look at the paper work and ask a series of questions in order to answer a series of questions on the system, one of whihc is whether in their opinion this is a commercial tenancy. Explain the situation to them as fully as you can

good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport