Coming into sick work

12346»

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I think the issue with parents/sick children is that the employer starts to take a dim view if you are on your third or fourth 'emergency dependants leave' day that year. It is entirely possible that a young child can catch four colds during a school year, being unable to attend each time because school sends them home. So I'm not surprised that some parents, especially lone parents, end up calling in sick for themselves instead.

I'll be going into work tomorrow with a cold/cough. Sorry if it annoys anybody, fortunately I know that nobody in my immediate vicinity has a compromised immune system.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • I think the issue with parents/sick children is that the employer starts to take a dim view if you are on your third or fourth 'emergency dependants leave' day that year. It is entirely possible that a young child can catch four colds during a school year, being unable to attend each time because school sends them home. So I'm not surprised that some parents, especially lone parents, end up calling in sick for themselves instead.

I'll be going into work tomorrow with a cold/cough. Sorry if it annoys anybody, fortunately I know that nobody in my immediate vicinity has a compromised immune system.

I think maybe working parents need to have someone they can ask to sit with the child when they are ill with colds, rather than have four or five emergency leave episodes. You can well understand why an employer may get impatient.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • I think maybe working parents need to have someone they can ask to sit with the child when they are ill with colds, rather than have four or five emergency leave episodes. You can well understand why an employer may get impatient.

Quite.

In my opinion a child developing a minor ailment, which keeps them off school for a few days, is hardly unexpected or an emergency. It is part and parcel of growing up. Parents should have some plan in place just as they do for holidays, half term and so called "training days".

Equally, assuming two working parents, any such emergency leave should be shared equally between both parents. Obviously there is a temptation for the lower paid parent to take the time off but that is grossly unfair on their employer.
  • No company 'gives' sick days, they either pay normal salary for X time then SSP or have a sickness policy which is SSP.

All companies (should) have a sickness /absence policy or reference to it.

If your company has an intranet site (internal use only internet site) the policy should be available on it, or you could ask your HR department for a copy.

Many companies have a sickness policy which means they face disciplinary action for more than X times off (not X days but X amounts of absence) in a rolling period.

Do you think someone should not be allowed to go to work because they have a cold? Just on the off chance you might catch it? How about the person in the bus/train who is starting to get/coming to the end of their cold are they not able to use public transport in case you catch a cold from them?

I actually appreciate colleagues coming into work with coughs/colds / insert other illness.... why? Because it shows they have a stronger work ethic than crying off for a day with the 'flu'.

I am on day 6 of a dreadful sore throat, morning 2 of hardly any sleep due to coughing, day 1 of sneezing/runny nose.

Yes, I feel like crap, but not enough to justify time off.

I will be going into work today, as have a few of my other colleagues who have had this and still trying to shake it off 2 weeks later.

Just my thoughts on it.

On the other hand you could infect half the office and be the cause of all sorts of problems....would it not be better to avoid the office until feeling some what better than you do now.
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    @movingforward my company gives sick days. Self cert until a week of sickness. Full pay. Up to six months, full pay. One man had cancer, they paid seven months and had to consider sacking - but he died.

Really stupid to give that much but it’s a big organization and I guess it’s always been the way.

When would you consider not going to work because being ill for two weeks is miserable.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Me2you wrote: »
    @movingforward my company gives sick days. Self cert until a week of sickness. Full pay. Up to six months, full pay. One man had cancer, they paid seven months and had to consider sacking - but he died.

Really stupid to give that much but it’s a big organization and I guess it’s always been the way.

When would you consider not going to work because being ill for two weeks is miserable.
    When this thread started the OP had no "sick days". Now they miraculously have full pay for six months.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has changed employers since starting the thread - their lies having caught up with them.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure