Saving/budgeting for Christmas

Ok, I know it's only August, but I've been thinking about Christmas and I have tried saving, as in putting money away in another account, but I end up dipping into it and there being nothing left by the time I need to use it for Christmas.

I have an Asda savings card which I put £10 onto yesterday, current balance is £60.00. I plan to make it up to the £144 max to get the bonus to bring it up to £150.

I always end up waiting until pay day and then using that money to buy presents so, I can't always buy a lot, as I don't want to spend all our food money.

I only have to buy for my parents, hubby and 2 teenagers. No nieces or nephews. No in laws buy for (long story), so the list isn't excessive.

Been considering saving with park - would this be worth it? Can I start now and how do I go about using my savings. I could save money that I won't miss. Even though I don't have many people to buy for, it always stresses me out. Can I use park online and in shops?

Hubby doesn't bother with Christmas shopping and leaves it all to me. (I have even had to go out and get my own present, lol!).

Any advice please?
Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Think you will be too late to do Park this year as think they put the orders in July and next years catalogue will be out in about a month ready for Christmas 2019. It is worth considering for next year though and start early (January!) You would have to look at the product range to see what was best for you. The Your Choice Mastercard is the best option (this is a chip and pin card you can use instore amd online anywjere that takes mastercard but there is a 10% one off charge when you buy this so if you wanted £200 card it would cost £220.)

You would have to make sure you do your research properly if you choose the love2shop as they provide vouchers (which don't give change over £1), a card or an online card. The retailers differ depending on which you choose and the vouchers and giftcard can on the whole only be used in stores

They do offer lots of different vouchers too. You save with them until usually 1st October or November and they send them out about three weeks after your final payment clears.

We used to use them but now save the same amount ourselves in a separate savings account as have total flexibility about where we spend and whether we go online or in store. I know you say you have ended up dipping into this but it is worth another go if you can discipline yourself.

Failing that do you have a trusted family member you can give the money to each month and they keep it for you ready for when you ask for it and they can't give it you back until October/November time (or when you are ready to christmas shop)

Also another idea is to shop a bit each month out of your normal spending money so it isn't a big hit in one go.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you write a list of everyone you buy for and decide a budget for each and then add an amount on for food, cards, wrapping etc and then save this amount. If you save from November time it gives you 10/11 months worth to save a regular amount and make Christmas easier.

As for this year you have maybe three/four paydays left depending on how you get paid. Whatever is spare from each months pay put half aside in an envelope to use alongside your asda card
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    P.S Wish I only had four/five people to buy for at Christmas :rotfl: my list is about 5 times longer.

You can do it!!
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • At the moment Tesco have a 25% off if you buy 6 bottles of wine or more.

I've bought a couple extra & hidden them so not to be tempted.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I bought a jar of mincemeat today in Waitrose. It was half price, I think it was last year's stock. I found some brick pastry lurking in the freezer so will put the 2 together for a tasty bank holiday treat.

I have started assembling ingredients for Christmas cake and puddings. We've just finished the last of the individual puds from 2016, it was absolutely delicious, especially as I had laced it with Cointreau, a bottle lasts for a good few years :rotfl:
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not sure if it's helpful, but last year my sister and I set a challenge to buy for each other from the £ shops with a maximum of £10. It was actually fun to do the shopping and more fun to unwrap; we got some nice bits (mostly food, admittedly) and some joke bits. I suspect we'll do the same again this year.

Hubby and I set a limit for what we spend on each other - £50 was the last one. We may go lower this year, or just buy something for the house we're hoping to buy as I'm figuring we might be skint.

Birthdays are a bit more spread out, so for us it makes more sense to splurge for those and keep costs down at Christmas. :)
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,059
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    I have 6 siblings and 11 nieces/nephews. A few years ago we agreed that the constant back and forth of buying presents for each other when we don't actually need anything was stupid so we stopped it. Hubby & I now have a £50-£100 budget depending on how much money we have and use it to buy each other the things we'd like to have but can't really justify. One of the best things we've done, we don't need "stuff" to justify our family link and closeness, food (especially homemade) & each other's company works just as well.
  • Good post Maisie. Very wise and a good idea too.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    I have 6 siblings and 11 nieces/nephews. A few years ago we agreed that the constant back and forth of buying presents for each other when we don't actually need anything was stupid so we stopped it. Hubby & I now have a £50-£100 budget depending on how much money we have and use it to buy each other the things we'd like to have but can't really justify. One of the best things we've done, we don't need "stuff" to justify our family link and closeness, food (especially homemade) & each other's company works just as well.
    A great idea.
    I really can't see the point in buying a bottle of wine for someone and receiving a bottle of wine in return.
    Right now is a good time to broach the subject of not buying Christmas presents.
  • Ok, I know it's only August, but I've been thinking about Christmas and I have tried saving, as in putting money away in another account, but I end up dipping into it and there being nothing left by the time I need to use it for Christmas.

I have an Asda savings card which I put £10 onto yesterday, current balance is £60.00. I plan to make it up to the £144 max to get the bonus to bring it up to £150.

I always end up waiting until pay day and then using that money to buy presents so, I can't always buy a lot, as I don't want to spend all our food money.

I only have to buy for my parents, hubby and 2 teenagers. No nieces or nephews. No in laws buy for (long story), so the list isn't excessive.

Been considering saving with park - would this be worth it? Can I start now and how do I go about using my savings. I could save money that I won't miss. Even though I don't have many people to buy for, it always stresses me out. Can I use park online and in shops?

Hubby doesn't bother with Christmas shopping and leaves it all to me. (I have even had to go out and get my own present, lol!).

Any advice please?

Sorry to go off topic but do you have any problems topping up the Asda card?
    I'm constantly having problems scanning the card. Any tips would be most welcome?

thanks
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    This is the first year I have tried saving with Park, and knowing I'm getting a load of vouchers in a few days which can only be spent on Christmas is a good feeling. You need to start early with them though, like between now and Jan for 2019. The final payment is at the end of Oct then you get the vouchers. You can choose to get them a month earlier though if you want.

During the year, if I had a little extra or some unexpected money, I bought Amazon gift cards. Stopped me using the cash, and they are safely put away as well.

I have 9 nieces/nephews and all too young to stop buying for yet. Myself and siblings/partners do a pound shop secret Santa, so we only buy for one person with max £5 spend, it can be funny.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure