Banking at the Post Office - here's what you need to know

Options
Former_MSE_Naomi
Former_MSE_Naomi Posts: 519 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 2 July 2018 at 4:32PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
We've written a new blog about Banking at the Post Office - share your experiences of Post Office banking services here.

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    MSE_Naomi wrote: »
    We've written a new blog about [URL="https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2018/06/banking-at-the-post-office/]Banking at the Post Office[/URL] - share your experiences of Post Office banking services here.

And if you click on the link you get:

"Whoops!
    Sorry, you've landed on a page that doesn't exist."

:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    And if you click on the link you get:

"Whoops!
    Sorry, you've landed on a page that doesn't exist."

:rotfl:

Yup - remove https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/" from the URL and it works :)
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you can find a post office.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »

There are currently 11,659 branches in the UK, so they aren't exactly rare, and 99.7% of the population live within 3 miles of one (98.7% of rural population; with 92.9% of the population living within 1 mile).

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02585/SN02585.pdf
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a lot nearer than the nearest bank & they serve food & drink too.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

When you find one there's usually a short queue that takes an unreasonably long time to deal with.

I certainly avoid using it for anything where possible which basically means picking up the occasional parcel when my usual postie is off and someone else can't be bothered to knock on my door.
  • its_all_over
    Options

I think I have 5 post offices in a 2 mile radius from my home, there are a lot more post offices than bank branches these days.

I have to drive 3 miles to my only bank branch in the area and then pay for parking to be able to park close enough to the bank to go there.
  • Wellard_Mann
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    When you find one there's usually a short queue that takes an unreasonably long time to deal with.

I certainly avoid using it for anything where possible which basically means picking up the occasional parcel when my usual postie is off and someone else can't be bothered to knock on my door.

This. Exactly. Not an organisation with which I choose to do business.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    This. Exactly. Not an organisation with which I choose to do business.

You do know that Royal Mail and the Post Office are different companies, don't you?

As to queues, how else should customers be dealt with if not in the order in which they arrive? You will find queues in banks too.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find Post Offices very useful.

Agree that queues can be a pain sometimes and you can't tell what the nature of business of the 2 customers in front are, one with a passport application and another sending a parcel to Timbuktu that requires a signature - so what seems like 2 minute wait turns into a 10 minute wait. But if you time it right then there is no long wait - avoid school drop off and pick up times, avoid Saturday mornings, avoid lunchtime etc.

Being a bank account tart, I can deposit and withdraw money from TSB, BoS, Lloyds, First Direct and Nationwide current accounts. I can deposit cheques. I can get proof of posting for items that I send and therefore I'm covered for claims up to £20. The list goes on...

I find they're invaluable.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback