Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hoping you got some money in today.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • G
    beanielou wrote: »
    I could not cope with the stress of that.
    Have you cancelled the DD's so you are not charged?

We cancelled the direct debits years ago to avoid fees. We pay by BACS on the day they're due (when we can :().
    :( Hope someone pays you HHOD

the only positive is that at least someone owes you some money I guess.

You're right, it's much worse when no one owes us anything :eek:.
    I hope people who owe you money pay up very soon, HH. I know what a nightmare that situation can be as my Dad ran his own business and had to pay his employees on time even when he was kept waiting unfair lengths of time to be paid by people/companies they'd done work for. Getting paid by some of the 'big' companies was the worst. He always said that individual people that they did work for always paid promptly whereas the bigger the company that owed him money the longer he had to wait for it. These were usually the biggest, higher paying jobs so a lot of his money was tied up for months sometimes. This was his recurring moan throughout my childhood:(

I always envy you, HH, for the amount of Prolific and YouGov surveys you get. I don't think I'm in a very interesting demographic group, being a pensioner, retired, with no children and living in a rural area:(. I was amazed this morning when, being awake ridiculously early, I logged in to my Prolific account and saw a survey that I was eligible for:j. It was quite long but really interesting and enjoyable. The best bit was that it paid £5:T and I received the notification that it had been accepted and pay was credited in about 10 minutes after submitting it:eek:. I can't believe that the researcher was up and about at that unearthly hour, or that he had time to evaluate the submission:rotfl:.

Good news about your PA survey :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Happy Tuesday :)

Thanks Beanie :)
    Likewise !

I had a lovely Sunday with younger daughter & grandson, eating brunch & then fooling around in the centre of Didcot where they have a 'press your hand here' train mural with sound effects, perfect for 3yr olds and Grannies !! Then in the pm we visited Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary (where daughter got her cat from), to look at the cats and have afternoon tea for a donation. We saw 4 x 8-wk old kittens, and if there is anything cuter in the world I wouldn't believe it ! Awww!

That sounds really nice Elizabeth. I love visiting animals with children :).
    Hope the money comes through today HH. Well done on all the surveys!

Thanks Cherry :)
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • jwil wrote: »
    Hope you get paid soon.

CBC - With YouGov - have you checked your settings? They ask you how frequently you want surveys. You might have said something less frequent. Mine are set for as often as possible. You might find that doing some of the activities and free surveys on the site gives you more.

Although it's a slow payer, I like You Gov as it never screens you out, the surveys are never ridiculously long, and you often see the results in the press.

Thanks Jwil. I'll log into YG and check.
    I got all hopeful for a minute then, but no, I'm definitely set for as often as possible! :rotfl:

:(
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hoping you got some money in today.

Thanks Beanie :).
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hope the money is sorted soon. Mr SA used to be self-employed so I know how annoying it can be waiting for people to pay.

You've reminded me I need to do our home insurance PDQ.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Hope the money is sorted soon. Mr SA used to be self-employed so I know how annoying it can be waiting for people to pay.

You've reminded me I need to do our home insurance PDQ.

Thanks SA. Unfortunately nobody paid us today :mad: but we managed to pay the house/contents insurance. It was the smallest bill and we figured that as our house is our only asset then it's important to pay that bill.

The council tax and NPower will have to be late :(. NPower don't freak out if we pay a day or two late, but the council turn nasty very quickly :(.

We have just enough money for the food shop tomorrow, £40 plus £40 food money from DS1 (he gives us £40 a fortnight towards for his food).

We finished a small job and invoiced for it today, so we have three invoices outstanding now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow :o.

I did my park walk today, it was beautifully sunny, the grass was yellow with field buttercups, the trees were loaded with blossom and wild flowers were springing up everywhere, it was gorgeous :).

I also managed to dry two loads of washing in the garden :T.

I forgot to say that DS3 got offered his first choice of accommodation :T. We had to pay a £300 deposit to accept the offer and had to borrow the money from my parents :(. I know I'm lucky they can afford to lend us money but I do hate having to ask them :(.

DS2 has said he wants to go to Spain for three months on 1 July to a language school :eek:. He was originally going to go in September but said that the beginners courses start in July. I'm delighted he's branching out and experiencing life but we will miss him.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news for DS2 & 3.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil wrote: »
    Hope you get paid soon.

CBC - With YouGov - have you checked your settings? They ask you how frequently you want surveys. You might have said something less frequent. Mine are set for as often as possible. You might find that doing some of the activities and free surveys on the site gives you more.

Although it's a slow payer, I like You Gov as it never screens you out, the surveys are never ridiculously long, and you often see the results in the press.

Thanks:T. Have just checked my account and it's still showing that I want surveys as often as possible. I know I opted for this many years ago but there can be occasional blips in these systems so I checked to see if anything had changed with my frequency. No, everything was as I'd selected.

Will definitely try some of the other things that are available on the site though as you suggest. I like YG for the reasons you gave but will be definitely unsubscribing after the next payout. I've been with them for about 15 years and have had a few payouts in that time but this last one has taken so very much longer to achieve than any in the past and I'm not even there yet:eek:. I just think that the older I get the less interesting I am to them:(
  • Then in the pm we visited Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary (where daughter got her cat from), to look at the cats and have afternoon tea for a donation. We saw 4 x 8-wk old kittens, and if there is anything cuter in the world I wouldn't believe it ! Awww!

Agree about the cuteness of kittens especially when they are playing together:T

I did volunteer work for years at a local animal rescue and my job was to socialize the feral cats and kittens in the hope that they would get used to people and being handled and be more attractive as pets. I had to harden my heart on every visit as I could have happily adopted and taken home every kitten that came in to the centre:eek:. I could easily turn into one of those mad old 'cat ladies' with a house chock full of cats:rotfl:.

I haven't been able to go there since my own lovely cat died in October, I just don't have it in me to be around cats at the moment, even after a few month:o. I hope this will pass as I used to love the work I did there, although my own cat wasn't too happy when I came home afterwards because he obviously could smell other cats on me and my clothes (although I couldn't). The first thing I did when I got home was have a shower and change and then he was back to his normal loving self with me:j
  • I'm not very interesting to YG either, but having said that I did get a survey from them today, a 75 points one too :). Two PA surveys came in two minutes before I had to go out so I couldn't do them :(. But I've just done one on my tablet :).

Playing with kittens must be the perfect volunteer job :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure