Front Tyre Thread 3.4mm after 7000 miles??

alz82
alz82 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi,

I'm close to completing and just as close to withdraw from buying a car. One issue is that the front Tyre Thread 3.4mm after 7000 miles. Does that sound right? From my research thats way below. The back tyres are 6.0mm which sound fine, its just the front tyres that concern me.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Could be due to driving style, could be due to type of tyre - is it a low profile tyre? They wear out quicker. Powerful front wheel drive car and low profile tyres woukd go through rubber quickly....
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it's front wheel drive, you would expect them to wear more quickly than the rear tyres.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    alz82 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm close to completing and just as close to withdraw from buying a car. One issue is that the front Tyre Thread 3.4mm after 7000 miles. Does that sound right? From my research thats way below. The back tyres are 6.0mm which sound fine, its just the front tyres that concern me.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There’s not many members with a crystal ball so make, model and type of tyre would help.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    More important is whether they have worn evenly. Even wear is perfectly acceptable but uneven wear would point to something out of alignment.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Where are you buying this car from, a dealer or private seller? How do you know that the tyre/wheel is the original one that came from the factory?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My first company car was front wheel drive, and I drove it rather 'enthusiastically'.

It needed new front tyres after 6,000 miles.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Depends on car and tyres fitted. My X type ate front tyres, regardless of brand. Three sets in 30,000 miles.

Aygo was fitted with poor tyres from new. Even with a front to back swap all four were renewed after 12,000 miles. Replaced with Toyos and after 8,000 miles they were barely worn.

Current car has done 33,000 and all four tyres well within the limit. 40,000 shouldn't be a problem.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I've got Continentals on a Seat Mii and they're wearing like that, though not quite as bad. They handle well but are the worst tyres for wear that I've had, on any car.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have sporty front tyres. They last maximum 10k miles. Sometimes less. Depends on how aggressively I drive.

As above, if the tyres are evenly worn, then at some point you'll replace them. No issue. If there's uneven wear, something's not right and that would concern me.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I once managed to eat a set of front tyres in about 10000 in a 60 bhp Punto. I was using every single one of those horses to make up for the lack of power. Rears were still the ones on the car when I bought it even after I put 30000 miles on the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure