Which console?

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 April 2018 at 7:48PM
    I'm not freaking out - I'm telling you facts

You are posting opinions

And yes it does mean it is impossible how many times do I have to say it and explain why

Eventually someone will work out how to jailbreak the xbone - and then if you jailbreak your console of course you can get malware.
    But you would have to physically alter your console- being aware of the risks.

As the xbox comes of the box - malware is impossible
    No one will ever ever ever be able to sneak malware onto it, you would have to modify it yourself to allow malware on.

BTW - people have been trying for 3 years to develop a jtag hack but its just not going to happen because they would have to find a way to leave the guest environment and enter the game OS or the APP OS - and gain privilege escalation to the hypervisor
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware. I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk? Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another consideration is Games With Gold, for around £40 a year you get 4 games a month, 2 xbox one game and 2 360 games (backwards compatible).

You get free games even month too with the PS equivalent though?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-plus-for-may-beyond-two-souls-ps4-rayman-legends-ps4-risen-3-titan-lords-ps3-eat-them-ps3-king-oddball-ps-vita-furmins-ps-vita-2931018

Beyond: Two Souls (PS4)
    Rayman Legends (PS4)
    Risen 3: Titan Lords (PS3)
    Eat Them (PS3)
    King Oddball (PS Vita)
    Furmins (PS Vita)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Relative to the thread in hand, i've just "invested" in a PS4, first time in easily 10 years i've bought a SONY games console, having ran various XBoxes over that time.

Got this deal from Tescos....

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-500gb-black-console-god-of-war-wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-doom-259-tesco-direct-2930711

PS4 500GB Black Console
    God of war
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    Doom

All for £259. I'd £13.50 of Tesco vouchers from the last time i bought a console off them so £245.50 delivered. :)

Also bought Gran Turismo Sport off of Ebay brand new for £17 and i'd a £5 Nectar points voucher so got it for £12.

No particular need for it at all but will see what its like and see how it all operates within the Playstation Universe these days.

Loads of offers on Playstation Plus games to chose from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/golden-week-sale-at-playstation-psn-store-us-and-canada-gravity-rush-yakuza-kiwami-persona-5-final-fantasy-xv-hackers-memory-and-more-plus-totally-digital-sale-2930460

Worth keeping an eye on HUKD for the special offers :)
  • donnajunkie
    motorguy wrote: »
    Relative to the thread in hand, i've just "invested" in a PS4, first time in easily 10 years i've bought a SONY games console, having ran various XBoxes over that time.

Got this deal from Tescos....

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps4-500gb-black-console-god-of-war-wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-doom-259-tesco-direct-2930711

PS4 500GB Black Console
    God of war
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    Doom

All for £259. I'd £13.50 of Tesco vouchers from the last time i bought a console off them so £245.50 delivered. :)

Also bought Gran Turismo Sport off of Ebay brand new for £17 and i'd a £5 Nectar points voucher so got it for £12.

No particular need for it at all but will see what its like and see how it all operates within the Playstation Universe these days.

Loads of offers on Playstation Plus games to chose from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/golden-week-sale-at-playstation-psn-store-us-and-canada-gravity-rush-yakuza-kiwami-persona-5-final-fantasy-xv-hackers-memory-and-more-plus-totally-digital-sale-2930460

Worth keeping an eye on HUKD for the special offers :)
    If you havent had a sony for ages may i suggest the following games,
    Horizon zero dawn.
    Uncharted 4.
    Uncharted lost legacy.
    The last of us.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware. I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk? Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?

It's a question of flexibility - the tradeoff with the security of the Xbox is that it's much less flexible, you can only run what Microsoft allows you to run on it.

That said you can set up a virtual operating system on your PC as well, this runs within the host operating system but it's self contained so if the guest OS gets infected, it doesn't touch the host operating system and since the virtual OS is basically a file, you can easily roll it back. Frequently when people are testing scammers they give the scammers full access to the virtual operating system because they can trash that as much as they want but won't get anywhere.

The information AndyPix has given on Kodi and the Xbox One is entirely correct, if there was a security risk and Kodi was somehow able to have system level access to the Xbox One then Microsoft would immediately block it not for malware risks but because people could then use Kodi to jailbreak the Xbox One. There is no such vulnerability in Kodi so there is no risk to the Xbox One in using the application.

John
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 April 2018 at 9:21AM
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware.?
    Because then you wouldnt be able to run anything on your computer that wasnt produced or lisenced by microsoft and there would be an uproar ..
    I am guessing you may say because more stuff is ran on computers which increases risk?
    Not sure i understand that sentence
    Then why not design something with a similar principle to your explaination of how builds run on kodi not the console so can only screw up kodi?

They have - its called a virtual machine and its easy and free to install and set one up and has no access to the host operating system

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
  • kimcros
    kimcros Posts: 8 Forumite
    I think, however, I prefer PS4 than xbox, I have the impression that the availability of games is greater
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Chill the eff out though dude, who cares

This is a money saving site.

donnajunkie is telling people to go and spend £ on a Fire Stick, when they can use an XBox One they may already have, because Kodi (or an extension) might break the XBox. You've been told, categorically, that it won't. The Fire Stick is not the safe option, it's simply a waste of money.
    I am now wondering why they dont make computers 100% safe against malware

Because they have to be open to doing so, very much stuff. The XBox, in this case, is more secure because it's more restricted.
    If I tried to sell you a computer, and told you you're only allowed to install things Microsoft approve, would you buy it?
  • donnajunkie
    almillar wrote: »
    This is a money saving site.

donnajunkie is telling people to go and spend £ on a Fire Stick, when they can use an XBox One they may already have, because Kodi (or an extension) might break the XBox. You've been told, categorically, that it won't. The Fire Stick is not the safe option, it's simply a waste of money.

?
    I am not telling people to do anything. I just said what i would do rightly or wrongly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure