Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity event - stressed!

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dodge08 wrote: »
    May even venture into some basic selling of some drinks too based on the advice here.

I would look into that, doesn't have to be posh just a volunteer pouring cans into plastic glasses would do the trick. Remember to offer a soft drink option as well. Maybe approach some local stores to see if they would be willing to provide on a sale or return basis seeing as its a charity event.

The only issue you have is people have paid an extra £5 for a drink, you need to make sure they are getting value for money and get more than £5 worth of what you are selling for on the night.
  • dodge08
    dodge08 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would look into that, doesn't have to be posh just a volunteer pouring cans into plastic glasses would do the trick. Remember to offer a soft drink option as well. Maybe approach some local stores to see if they would be willing to provide on a sale or return basis seeing as its a charity event.

The only issue you have is people have paid an extra £5 for a drink, you need to make sure they are getting value for money and get more than £5 worth of what you are selling for on the night.

Totally agree, on both points... my only fear though is that we'll be looking after the existing ticket holders but I still need to find a way to encourage new sales - since I still can't claim to having a bar. :p
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the OP has now said that people can bring their own drinks, but that is not clear from the original flier. Generally, BYOB is fine - it's the selling of drinks which needs careful handling, and / or a licence. The other way round it is to have 'suggested donations' for drinks, but I'd try to avoid that if I didn't know those likely to attend ...

So, at this stage what can you do?

If the raffle tickets are 'proper' pre-printed tickets then these can be sold separately / in advance. If you're just using cloakroom tickets then they can only be sold at the event.

Whichever they are, I'd try to get the raffle and the silent auction prizes publicised. I'm not saying I'd go to such an event just for those, but they help extend its appeal, and if you can take bids outside the event for the silent auction that will help raise money.

Local radio and newspapers: is this just 'advertising events which are happening locally' coverage, or an actual interview with you / someone from the hospice? I'd see if you can get the latter as well as the former, maybe sharing your worries that you haven't yet sold all the tickets - that needs careful preparation. And have you gone as wide as you can? Here, we have local BBC radio, and a number of local commercial stations, some of them targeted at particular audiences. Admittedly I'm in a big city so Dorchester may not have so many ... Newspapers - as well as the daily local paper, there is also a weekly freebie, and last week the charity I work for was in The Metro! I'm not suggesting that would be easy, it was tied in with StreetSmart as we are one of the charities they support.

You mentioned Facebook, but not Twitter. I'm no expert on social media, but I think both are worthwhile.

but I think it's down to people asking people to go ... I mentioned the quiz I went to last week: I wasn't going to go but when I found the three colleagues on my work team were all going, it seemed churlish not to, and I'd definitely go again next year!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry OP but your flyer is not very appealing, far too much going on there. It needs something to liven it up. The auction bit looks like an afterthought, I'd make more of it, listing prizes etc. You need to grab peoples attention and make it more welcoming. Focus on having a great night out.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2017 at 12:42AM
    Options
    Dasa wrote: »
    Sorry OP but your flyer is not very appealing, far too much going on there. It needs something to liven it up. The auction bit looks like an afterthought, I'd make more of it, listing prizes etc. You need to grab peoples attention and make it more welcoming. Focus on having a great night out.

Agreed.

The tin foil hat on the flyer put me off.

Makes the guy look like a cheap novelty act for the conspiracy brigade.

Plus I've been to something like this. I wouldn't wan't to be in the first five rows as you are usually the 'act'.

It would take me more than a free drink to make me sit in any of the 5 rows.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • dodge08
    dodge08 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think the OP has now said that people can bring their own drinks, but that is not clear from the original flier. Generally, BYOB is fine - it's the selling of drinks which needs careful handling, and / or a licence. The other way round it is to have 'suggested donations' for drinks, but I'd try to avoid that if I didn't know those likely to attend ...

So, at this stage what can you do?

If the raffle tickets are 'proper' pre-printed tickets then these can be sold separately / in advance. If you're just using cloakroom tickets then they can only be sold at the event.

Whichever they are, I'd try to get the raffle and the silent auction prizes publicised. I'm not saying I'd go to such an event just for those, but they help extend its appeal, and if you can take bids outside the event for the silent auction that will help raise money.

Local radio and newspapers: is this just 'advertising events which are happening locally' coverage, or an actual interview with you / someone from the hospice? I'd see if you can get the latter as well as the former, maybe sharing your worries that you haven't yet sold all the tickets - that needs careful preparation. And have you gone as wide as you can? Here, we have local BBC radio, and a number of local commercial stations, some of them targeted at particular audiences. Admittedly I'm in a big city so Dorchester may not have so many ... Newspapers - as well as the daily local paper, there is also a weekly freebie, and last week the charity I work for was in The Metro! I'm not suggesting that would be easy, it was tied in with StreetSmart as we are one of the charities they support.

You mentioned Facebook, but not Twitter. I'm no expert on social media, but I think both are worthwhile.

but I think it's down to people asking people to go ... I mentioned the quiz I went to last week: I wasn't going to go but when I found the three colleagues on my work team were all going, it seemed churlish not to, and I'd definitely go again next year!

Hey - thanks for the advice!

In terms of drinks, I am going to put on snacks and soft drinks only I think, it's less financial risk and doesn't get messy with regards to licences etc.

I will start marketing the raffle prizes heavily, starting with a new flyer design that I am working on with less text.

I have seen one or two more ticket sales in the last day or two and hopefully with all the advice and my existing marketing coming together we will see a few more at least!

Dasa wrote: »

Duly noted, I am going to redesign a new flyer to keep things fresh, more images, less text! :) Cheers

robin58 wrote: »
    Agreed.

The tin foil hat on the flyer put me off.

Makes the guy look like a cheap novelty act for the conspiracy brigade.

Plus I've been to something like this. I wouldn't wan't to be in the first five rows as you are usually the 'act'.

It would take me more than a free drink to make me sit in any of the 5 rows.

Thanks for your feedback, the entertainer is quite witty and the tin foil hat is intended to be tongue in cheek, not serious.

And in terms of the first five rows, on the contrary, out of the tickets we have sold so far, three quarters of them are this type of ticket.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with the comments above about having it on Sunday and about their being no bar.

It also seems quite expensive for what it is, and the flyer isn't clear. At first glance I thought it was £10 for kids and £15 for adults - looking again it I can see it's an extra £5 for a glass of fizz, and it is not clear whether there are cheaper tickets for under 16s or whether the event it age limited to the over 16s.

i think another issue may be the type of entertainment - magic shows are a bit of a marmite thing - people either love them or hate them. I personally wouldn't go because I actively dislike that kind of thing- it's not something where I'd be willing to 'suck it up' because it is a charity event.

If it were a charity I was interested in then I might be willing to buy raffle tickets or (if I knew about it) put in a sealed bid for something in the silent auction. It might be worth you publicising those things separately if you can.

It might also be worth you canvassing local venues to see whether they would be willing to display your poster or leaflets - for a charity event and as it is on a sunday when they may not be open themselves, they might be willing to do so, n which case you might do better if you are advertising a magic / comedy event to people who go to comedy / music / magic events.

As you are doing it for a hospice, if you get to the last moment and still haven't sold many tickets, to avoid having an empty room could you offer any spare tickets to patients and their families? I appreciate that wouldn't raise you any money but you might have a better atmosphere in the room if i is not 3/4 empty.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    dodge08 wrote: »

Thanks for your feedback, the entertainer is quite witty and the tin foil hat is intended to be tongue in cheek, not serious.

And in terms of the first five rows, on the contrary, out of the tickets we have sold so far, three quarters of them are this type of ticket.

But you know him, I don't and maybe the people you are selling to don't either.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • dodge08
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I agree with the comments above about having it on Sunday and about their being no bar.

It also seems quite expensive for what it is, and the flyer isn't clear. At first glance I thought it was £10 for kids and £15 for adults - looking again it I can see it's an extra £5 for a glass of fizz, and it is not clear whether there are cheaper tickets for under 16s or whether the event it age limited to the over 16s.

i think another issue may be the type of entertainment - magic shows are a bit of a marmite thing - people either love them or hate them. I personally wouldn't go because I actively dislike that kind of thing- it's not something where I'd be willing to 'suck it up' because it is a charity event.

If it were a charity I was interested in then I might be willing to buy raffle tickets or (if I knew about it) put in a sealed bid for something in the silent auction. It might be worth you publicising those things separately if you can.

It might also be worth you canvassing local venues to see whether they would be willing to display your poster or leaflets - for a charity event and as it is on a sunday when they may not be open themselves, they might be willing to do so, n which case you might do better if you are advertising a magic / comedy event to people who go to comedy / music / magic events.

As you are doing it for a hospice, if you get to the last moment and still haven't sold many tickets, to avoid having an empty room could you offer any spare tickets to patients and their families? I appreciate that wouldn't raise you any money but you might have a better atmosphere in the room if i is not 3/4 empty.

All great points, thanks for the advice.

We have seen a good uplift in tickets this week, all organic, so I think getting the right exposure has made some difference. Plus a very different, graphic intensive flyer as well
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Have you incurred any costs already? Is it too late to cancel for this date and postpone to a later date when you've had a rethink and can offer something more appealing?

I'm sorry to be harsh, but you are hoping that people will want to pay £10 to sit in a school hall on a Sunday night (when its school/work in the morning and not a 'social' night for lots) watching a cheesy magic act that they probably wouldn't choose to see, without any food or drink on offer. Your ticket talks about 'rows' rather than tables so if people BYOB are they going to be balancing their glass on their knee and a bottle or a 6 pack under a plastic chair? I'm sorry to say, but I think most people would pay £10 NOT to go to this event!

You obviously have good intentions, but this could be much better.

Have you spoken to any churches? A surprising number have function rooms with bars and might be a cheaper way to get a decent room. You'll get more people if you offer some food too, a potato pie supper or similar doesn't need to cost the earth. Vary the entertainment too, are there any local cover bands or other acts who would play for free or less than usual as its a charity event? If the magician is just part of the lineup rather than the main event people might be more tempted. What about a fun quiz? Maybe with a picture or dingbats round that you can leave on the tables for people to have a go at through the course of the evening?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure