PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does his ex get half his house even she never lived there?

Options
I need help, my boyfriend and I are buying a house together he is selling his house to do this. Everything has been going great with the process of selling until the solicitors have told us that any profit of the house will be shared with his ex.
When my boyfriend bought his house 8 years ago, he solely bought the house in his name with a little help from his dad (his dad went down as a lender). The intention was that his ex would move in at some point so he put her down as an occupatent of the house. She never contributed to the purchase in anyway. They broke up before she moved in so never bought or paid for anything in the house. When they first broke up he asked her to take her name off as occupant but she refused. He got a advise from a solicitor at the time who said he shouldn't worry about it.
Now the solicitor says he has to give half of the profit of the house to her. She has never been back since the brake up and has never made a claim on the house. To give all this money for nothing after 8years seems crazy. And without this money we can't really afford the house we want.
Heartbroken that this happening can anyone give any advise please?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get a new solicitor.

being named as an occupiers does not get beneficial interest in a property.
    (ask the solicitor why they think it does)

Are you sure there is not more to this.
  • Cat236
    Cat236 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking the same.
    On all the documents she is only put as occupier. Searching on different websites all night I couldn't see why she would be entitled to a claim. I will look over all the paper work double check. We have appointment with the solicitor on Monday hopefully its all a mistake though the new solicitors is probably the best idea.
    Thankyou so much for your quick reply.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Were they married? That would make a difference to the potential outcome.
  • Cat236
    Options
    No they were never married. They both lived speratley, he bought the house with the intention of her moving in that's why she was put down as an occupier . When they broke up she was living in her own house.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I am not sure what he could have put her name down as an occupier on that she would have the right to refuse to be taken off. Can you explain exactly how she is listed as an occupier and on what?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Is she on the deeds in any way?
  • Cat236
    Options
    She's not on the deed I don't think? It's been my boyfriend who has been dealing with the solicitors as it's his house.
    It's on a declaration of trust that she is on as occupier. My boyfriend is down as the owner.
    She never lived in the house or paid into it does that make difference?

He has only just told me about the declaration of trust. So very mad right now.
  • Cat236
    Options
    Checked with my boyfriend it's something called a declaration of trust?
    He is down as the owner, she is down as the occupier.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cat236 wrote: »
    She's not on the deed I don't think? It's been my boyfriend who has been dealing with the solicitors as it's his house.
    It's on a declaration of trust that she is on as occupier. My boyfriend is down as the owner.
    She never lived in the house or paid into it does that make difference?

He has only just told me about the declaration of trust. So very mad right now.

A declaration of trust will probablt show the proportion of the home or profit that the ex girlfriend owns.
  • Cat236
    Options
    So it will be half as that's what the solicitors want to give her. He's such an idiot!
    Can the declaration be challenged? She never became an occupier of the house? She hasn't been in contact with since she left him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure