Bad Career Choice - keep in touch

Options
I was offered another job last year. I originally accepted and then turned it down a few weeks later.

After nine years with my current employer I believe this was a poor career decision as I believe the opportunities with the new company far outweigh the opportunities with my current employer. Plus there was a promotion.

The new company asked me to keep in touch. I have heard from them a few times since, but nothing for three months. I am trying to decide what to do:

1) Do nothing. Wait until a position becomes available and then get in touch. The risk here is that I believe they do not advertise all roles on their website so I may be missing something and also they may think that I am no longer interested as I have not kept in touch.
2) Email the person who asked me to keep in touch. Not sure what I would say though.
3) Register interest in the company on their website (there is a section on their website that allows you to submit your CV - I have never done this before - they originally contacted me via linkedin to inform me of the position I was offered).

I don't want to burn my bridges with this company as I think it would be a very good career decision to move there. Just trying to understand what they meant by "keep in touch".

I would be interested to hear what other people have done when faced with this situation.

Comments

• leslieknope
    Options
    there's no harm in emailing the person who said to keep in touch, just to say that you are now available for opportunities and see if they come back to you! i would also submit your CV to the website AND apply for anything i see come up on their website. if you want it, go for it.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just trying to understand what they meant by "keep in touch".
    Could mean anything from "we're very sorry you turned down the job down and if you change your mind we'll still have a job for you" to a meaningless platitude. Since they offered you the job and you "heard from them" a few times since (to say what? "hello" or "still got a job if you want it"?) it leans towards the former, but I can't add anything to what you already know.

Personally I would go for 2) and 3). Firstly submit your CV via the website, and then send an email to the person who asked you to keep in touch to say "Hi, you may remember you offered me a position in October, which unfortunately I had to turn down. My circumstances have since changed and I would be very interested if this or any similar opportunities are still available. I have therefore sent you my CV via the usual website form, and thought I would drop you an email so that you can take a look at it if you still have a position available".

That way you are not going behind Mr Stayintouch's back but at the same time if Mr Stayintouch is on holiday for three weeks or his department is no longer interested in you, someone else at the company can pick up your CV.

The alternative is to first do 2) and then do 3) if you don't hear anything back from that person or they say "sorry, position filled", but you risk the appearance of going over their head.

If they no longer have any jobs going you have lost nothing by asking.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Could mean anything from "we're very sorry you turned down the job down and if you change your mind we'll still have a job for you" to a meaningless platitude. Since they offered you the job and you "heard from them" a few times since (to say what? "hello" or "still got a job if you want it"?) it leans towards the former, but I can't add anything to what you already know.

Personally I would go for 2) and 3). Firstly submit your CV via the website, and then send an email to the person who asked you to keep in touch to say "Hi, you may remember you offered me a position in October, which unfortunately I had to turn down. My circumstances have since changed and I would be very interested if this or any similar opportunities are still available. I have therefore sent you my CV via the usual website form, and thought I would drop you an email so that you can take a look at it if you still have a position available".

That way you are not going behind Mr Stayintouch's back but at the same time if Mr Stayintouch is on holiday for three weeks or his department is no longer interested in you, someone else at the company can pick up your CV.

The alternative is to first do 2) and then do 3) if you don't hear anything back from that person or they say "sorry, position filled", but you risk the appearance of going over their head.

If they no longer have any jobs going you have lost nothing by asking.

I was called when a job became available. The problem was that the two jobs were at a level below the one I was offered - the level I have been at for nearly seven years.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know rural Lincolnshire isn't exactly the uk employment hotspot but your various posts on this topic suggest you are dithering and dwelling on this issue far too much. Move on, I'm sure even where you are there will be something suitable. It may take several months for the right role but that should be fine. If you have not already done so talk to some agencies in your area, post your cv on a few sites, join linkedin. Personally I think the company that you would have gone for the job with would have moved on, probably offered the job to someone else long ago and mentioned to keep in touch more as a courtesy. They are certainly not going to hold a job and wait months and months for you to make up your mind!
  • w00519772
    Options
    This employer (employer A) contacted me this week to say that another position has become available and suggested applying via their application process.

I was offered a position with employer B (a different company)in 2013 and I turned down this position as well. Employer B also contacted me this week to inform me that another position has become available and asked me to come in for a "chat" if I was interested. I said I would think about it and I said I would let them know on Monday.

I prefer company A to company B. I do not want to alienate or burn my bridges with any of them though I am currently deciding what to do. These are the only two positions I have applied for in eight years.

I am thinking about going through the application process with company A first. It was a quick turnaround last time with company A from application to offer. I believe I have two options:

1) Talk to company A on Monday explaining that I am currently going through the application process with company B. Say that I will be in touch if it does not work out. Company A has a middle man i.e. recruitment agent.
    2) Talk to company A on Monday saying I need more time to think about it. I suspect they will want a reason though. In that tie see how it goes with company B.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't tell either company about the other.

Go to both as if they were your only options. You don't have to agree anything there and then, and if they ask, just say you need time to think over the practicalities.

If you are only just applying (or going for a "chat"), there is no guarantee you will get either role.

If you prefer A, by all means go to A first, you may well hear back from them first.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    What Scorpio33 said. Don't tell either company about the other. There is nothing gained from this. Pursue both avenues independently without divulging details of one to the other. Only mention them to each other if you end up with competing offers, and by this I don't mean tell them the identity of the other, just that you have other options on the table and can either of them amend their offer in any way to make them more attractive - only do this when you get to this stage; do not bluff because it will backfire if there isn't really another viable option.

The only time I may consider a slightly different approach is if the process with company B progresses quicker than with company A, you might want to inform company A that you have another option on the cards and ask if they are any closer to making a decision on how they are progressing your application. If company A really wants you then they might speed things up, or they might tell you that it won't be a quick process. If the latter then you'll have to decide if you're willing to wait for company A which might put your offer with company B at risk (and ultimately risk you missing out with company A as well because they may never be able to deliver), so be prepared for that eventuality.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Say that I will be in touch if it does not work out.

Never say this to anyone, otherwise you really will be burning bridges. Nobody wants to hear that they're not first choice.
    asked me to come in for a "chat" if I was interested

Don't assume that it will be just an informal chat. Prepare for it like it's a proper interview.
    I do not want to alienate or burn my bridges with any of them

Given the tone of your comments, I get the impression that you'd feel awkward turning an offer down from one of these if you ended up with two offers, or withdrawing from the process of one if accepting an offer from the other. Do not be afraid of this. It will not be construed as burning bridges by the hiring manager if you ultimately say to them "I'm sorry but I'm accepting a position elsewhere." This happens all the time, and nobody will think ill of you. It's at that moment that you say to them that you enjoyed meeting them, speaking with them, and glad to be in touch, etc, and conclude it by saying you look forward to your paths crossing again in the future, then leave it at that.
  • w00519772
    Options
    neilio wrote: »
    What Scorpio33 said. Don't tell either company about the other. There is nothing gained from this. Pursue both avenues independently without divulging details of one to the other. Only mention them to each other if you end up with competing offers, and by this I don't mean tell them the identity of the other, just that you have other options on the table and can either of them amend their offer in any way to make them more attractive - only do this when you get to this stage; do not bluff because it will backfire if there isn't really another viable option.

The only time I may consider a slightly different approach is if the process with company B progresses quicker than with company A, you might want to inform company A that you have another option on the cards and ask if they are any closer to making a decision on how they are progressing your application. If company A really wants you then they might speed things up, or they might tell you that it won't be a quick process. If the latter then you'll have to decide if you're willing to wait for company A which might put your offer with company B at risk (and ultimately risk you missing out with company A as well because they may never be able to deliver), so be prepared for that eventuality.

I hear what you are saying. However, what happens if company B make an offer before company A. I accept, then hand in my notice and then company A make an offer (say two weeks later). Then I will probably withdraw from company b and accept company a. Would you advise the same this time assuming that the application process for company a drags on.

I realise I am counting my chickens a bit here. However, both companies have offered me roles in the past.
  • w00519772
    Options
    Don't tell either company about the other.

Go to both as if they were your only options. You don't have to agree anything there and then, and if they ask, just say you need time to think over the practicalities.

If you are only just applying (or going for a "chat"), there is no guarantee you will get either role.

If you prefer A, by all means go to A first, you may well hear back from them first.

What would I say to company b if I did this? They would think I am not commuted, surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure