£4 on credit file stopping me getting a mortgage

hi

I paid off a credit in august 2016, showed a balance of £0. Then £4 is added to the account, stays there for 6 months and is then settled. This £4 is now stopping me from obtaining a mortgage.
I asked Halifax for a credit file amendment, they said they put it through. They didnt. They have now put it through again, bu reckon it will be 6-8 weeks to wait and see what happens. My mortgage provider has done thier searches, Ive paid their admin fee, but are now saying this needs to be resolved before going any further.
Halifax are saying they will not give me a letter in writing to say they have filed the credit file dispute. Has anyone been in this position? After waiting 7 weeks the first time round, I dont want to wait another 8 weeks . The mortgage provider will accept a letter from them stating the form has been filed.

Thank you

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    vickky453 wrote: »
    My mortgage provider has done thier searches, Ive paid their admin fee

Who is your mortgage provider and what are they charging you a fee for?

Why would Halifax file a credit file dispute?

Are you saying the £4 turned into a default or was it 6 months of late payments?
    The mortgage provider will accept a letter from them stating the form has been filed.

What form is this that your provider is referring to?

Have you actually checked all 3 of your credit files to see what is showing on them?

Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Change your mortgage advisor!
  • A £4 default won't stop you getting a mortgage

There must be more to it than that
  • !!! wrote: »
    A £4 default won't stop you getting a mortgage

There must be more to it than that

its more the fact that 4 quid went un paid for 6 months so its a stage 6
  • Candyapple wrote: »
    Who is your mortgage provider and what are they charging you a fee for?

Why would Halifax file a credit file dispute?

Are you saying the £4 turned into a default or was it 6 months of late payments?

monmouthshire, the mortgage was agreed and they have carried out their valuation survey and the paid the admin fees

the 4 pound went unpaid for 6 months is the issue.

Halifax are submitting a credit file amendment form, which was submitted on tuesday

Candyapple wrote: »
    What form is this that your provider is referring to?

Have you actually checked all 3 of your credit files to see what is showing on them?

Yes it shows up on all three of them , and my provider wants to see evidence of the credit file amendament form
  • People have gotten mortgages with more than a 6 month old £4 default
  • Candyapple
    Halifax are submitting a credit file amendment form, which was submitted on tuesday

Yes it shows up on all three of them , and my provider wants to see evidence of the credit file amendament form

When you say Halifax have submitted a credit file amendment form - was this to remove the 6 months worth of late payment markers? Or was it just a note from them explaining what exactly - that they shouldn't have been applied?

Have you asked your solicitor to intervene with the bank to see if that will help push matters along?

Why did you have 6 months of late payment markers - was the £4 trailing interest?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • vickky453
    vickky453 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    they said it was trailing interest, they think. Apparently credit records only go back 14 months? for halifax.

Im hoping they are going to remove the 6 months, thats what they said the form was for

My reason for starting the thread is to see if anyone else has actually done this, and they have removed the details from your credit file? Because from my dealings with the bank it is looking very likely haha
  • vickky453 wrote: »
    they said it was trailing interest, they think. Apparently credit records only go back 14 months? for halifax.

Im hoping they are going to remove the 6 months, thats what they said the form was for

My reason for starting the thread is to see if anyone else has actually done this, and they have removed the details from your credit file? Because from my dealings with the bank it is looking very likely haha

So you got a default because you didn't pay off your card properly, then chose to ignore the letters from Halifax, but that's somehow their fault? Right.
  • Candyapple

Do you not have your old paper statements? You can make a request to pay for them if need be.

I don't see why they would unless the mistake was theirs. You haven't explained how you missed 6 months of statements/warning letters from them about the missed payments/phone calls?

I've heard of people contacting lenders to ask them to remove defaults/late payment markers as a goodwill gesture if the amount was very small and that will always be down to the lender's leniency. In majority of those threads that I remember - no lender removed the markers or defaults - insisting that as they were applied correctly they will remain so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure