NST June 2018 A JUNE ODESSEY (Staycation)

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would like to return in June, kept meaning to join in for the last few months but life has got in the way.

Changes are afoot in the Elephant household as I have seperated from my husband and he should be moving out this weekend.

Things are going to be tight but my mental wellbeing will be amazing.

I am going to aim for 20 NSD's.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Can I join again please? Hopefully June will be less of a dead loss than May!
  • cybertortoise
    cybertortoise Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Count me in please. I need to get back on track as I'm finishing up uni and using the 1st of June almost as the start to a new year. I'll aim for the soft target of 10 NSD's. Thanks. Just need to finish my dissertation and I can work out my budgets.
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!

Total debt - £39888.13 @ 31.08.21

Current debt - £21270.51 @ 29.12.2023
    Paid to date: £18617.62

DFD: Aiming for end of 2028
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Welcome back Eager. Again, I know the decision has not been easy or hastily made. Wishing you well in your new situation.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2018 at 8:04PM
    Sending hugs to those in need of them.
    A - Will definitely be asking if it is necessary before purchasing.
    J - Aiming for 20 NSD
    U - Will be looking into cupboards etc and make sure I will not buy unnecessary and use what already in.
    N - Will bring lunch etc if going out etc.
    E - Have to make a special effort to more healthy eating.
    O - Will do.
    D -Have DD for money already set up to go into savings. Will try and put any extra money into savings.
    E - Will be making an effort to do more exercise when possible.
    S - Have set my budgets.
    S - Will make donation. See if there anything can be put aside for cs. Have 2 charity walks planned for June.
    E - Will check in.
    Y - Will do.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Count me in please, mothernerd. Love the idea of an odyssey. Already imagining myself as part of the Jason and the Argonauts adventures. Though they do fnd the golden fleece, I think, and my elusive 'rolled up pile of banknotes that I happen to find on the pavement as roadkill and which is enough to pay off my mortgage' has yet to materialise.

June is looking manic with finishing one lot of marking just as I start the next lot; step kids coming over from Oz and Canada; several days away with work or visiting mum. I shall be ornery and go for the soft version of hardcore and go for 15 NSDs.

I too shall give up the guilt. I made those decisions / did those things at that time, doing the best I could in the circumstances. Hindsight can be a curse! I shall renounce feeling that I could/should have done better/differently and accept that I did my best. I cannot change it and do not wish to carry it around with me. It'll require some effort to get rid of it (like f0xh0les and that dratted woodchip wallpaper), but it'll be so worth it.

Thanks mothernerd x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Count me in please, mothernerd. Love the idea of an odyssey. Already imagining myself as part of the Jason and the Argonauts adventures. Though they do fnd the golden fleece, I think, and my elusive 'rolled up pile of banknotes that I happen to find on the pavement as roadkill and which is enough to pay off my mortgage' has yet to materialise.

June is looking manic with finishing one lot of marking just as I start the next lot; step kids coming over from Oz and Canada; several days away with work or visiting mum. I shall be ornery and go for the soft version of hardcore and go for 15 NSDs.

I too shall give up the guilt. I made those decisions / did those things at that time, doing the best I could in the circumstances. Hindsight can be a curse! I shall renounce feeling that I could/should have done better/differently and accept that I did my best. I cannot change it and do not wish to carry it around with me. It'll require some effort to get rid of it (like f0xh0les and that dratted woodchip wallpaper), but it'll be so worth it.

Thanks mothernerd x

It was going to be a gentle journey in/ though June but I couldn't get the letters to fit and thought that as some people repost the whole thing and add their own progress, we might end up breaking the MSE website.

It is meant to recapture some of the 'excitement' of the one abundant took us on, but I want it to be as relaxing as possible (very aware of all our teaching turtles and all the parents already trying to sort a new set of juggling for the summer break). Maybe floating down the river in a boat or a canal barge.

We all have a lot of pressures and you can look to lots more things to get rid of as well as the guilt. Hoping to mix this with practical stuff - pinned a post yesterday about doing laundry for a family of seven in one hour a week - presumably not including the machine time.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    mothernerd wrote: »
    It was going to be a gentle journey in/ though June but I couldn't get the letters to fit and thought that as some people repost the whole thing and add their own progress, we might end up breaking the MSE website.

I was thinking of a Journey for July :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    A Ask yourself 'Is this necessary?' Before purchasing anything. When you make a 'to do' list (is it realistic or even possible). - I always have to do lists - both physical (written) and mental (just in my head) I have no problem that they don't tend to get everything crossed off - they are a running item, always being updated. They are very much 'reach for the stars' in hopes but I rarely get there - however, I don't beat myself up about this - I know my limits and pace myself accordingly. Purchases - I can't think of anything in June other than house repairs (broken guttering - not good in this weather - will be ££££, as getting someone in and fascias and soffits are rotten), decorating (one bit to be done professionally - have money set aside for that. REst mostly touching up using existing supplies) Smalls still need some Summer clothes (they usually have hand me downs :money:, but things do eventually wear out and they are both short on PJs and joggers)

J June challenge runs from 1st June to 30th. You will aim for 10 NSDs
    U Use the food you have in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to base your meals on. Also planning on using up other items (toiletries, cleaning stuff)
    N No takeaways, coffee, chip or pie shop purchases. Do not use works canteen (unless free/ highly subsidised), vending machines.Have some long days at work where lunch is provided free. Other than that I will take my own food in. We have a family end-of-exams meal planned (tradition for the past 4 years) from social budget, a possible meet up with friends in the pub (usual cost £10-£15, again from social budget) and a meal out with work (again marking end of exams - may happen end of June or early July) - again budget of £15 usually more than enough
    E Eating well is a form of self respect.

O Offer help and be kind (inc to self)
    D Debt or savings payments should be made first - live on what is left We have been paid so all day to day CCs have been fully repaid. Money from invigilating has been paid to my CC. Small OP set up to BTL mtge by sto (first month of doing so) and will make larger adhoc payment when rent money in - am awaiting a quote for needed-work, so need to find out how much I need for that.
    E Exercise Minimum of 3 times a week. Try to get outside every day.
    S Set all your budgets .
    * Food - £450 Have DD home from uni so extra mouth to feed but will try to keep to usual budget to make sure some random things are used up
    * Fuel - £70
    * Toiletries - £10
    * Cleaning/ household (eg loo rolls) £20
    * DIY & garden - £50
    * Social - £125
    * Clothing - £50
    * Gifts - £20 (includes 2 collections for gifts)
    S Someone, is worse off than you. Donate . Monthly DD set up for WWT
    E Every day check in
    Y You are the most important person in your life. .
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2018 at 9:29AM
    OK, here goes:

Ask yourself 'Is this necessary?' Before purchasing anything. When you make a 'to do' list (is it realistic or even possible). I must get back to this - though 'piles of ironing' are a rare occurrence indeed here :D

June challenge runs from 1st June to 30th. I will aim for 10 NSDs. I don't make exceptions for anything, if I spend, then for me, it ain't a NSD :D

Use the food you have in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to base your meals on. Meal plan (for the month or for a few days at a time, whichever suits). Cook from scratch (short cuts permitted if you are feeling stressed). I almost always cook from scratch, but am a bit rubbish at meal planning, which means I am always scrabbling about to use everything up :o though we hardly ever waste anything. I have printed out some free meal planning sheets from Pinterest, and am going to give it another go!

No takeaways, coffee, chip or pie shop purchases. We rarely do this in any case.

Eating well is a form of self respect. Give your body the fuel it needs and appreciate all it does for you. I am being very kind to my body atm as I had a nasty surgery a few weeks ago :(

Offer help and encouragement to other turtles and people you meet. Be kind to everyone, especially yourself. :)

Debt or savings payments should be made first - live on what is left. No debt now, and savings are paid by standing order (I use regular savings accounts) :)

Exercise according to your programme or your ability. Minimum of 3 times a week. Try to get outside every day. Still a bit limited due to recent surgery, but will try to increase what I do each day :)

Set all your budgets before the start of the month. Food, travel, social, diy, other. Will do :)

Someone, somewhere is worse off than you. Donate to the local food bank or other charity of your choice. Will donate to food bank as I do each month :)

Every day check in is reccommended, especially when things go wrong. Will try!

You are the most important person in your life. You are your own longest term investment. You matter. Read this and the daily quotes, take on anything you find relevant and helpful, ditch the rest. :)

Thanks Mothernerd, wise words as usual :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure