PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on this bad house bidding experience...

grussell
grussell Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 13 January 2018 at 5:40PM in House buying, renting & selling
House offer accepted.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Buyers often take tiime to think. Why should they not - it's a big decision.

Be patient.

not much point the EA calling you till the vendor has decided howw to respond tto each offer you make. ("I've submitted your offer to the venor and he's thinking about it." - how does that help?).

I'm not sure what your point is reeally.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,294
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think you might have to become a bit more resilient, if you're wanting to buy a property.

What you're describing doesn't really sound like a big deal.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You have got to remember that the vendor is likely to have other things in their life than selling their house.

It is also possible that you were not the only person making an offer. They may have wanted to decide between several offers made.

They have had an offer that they prefer to yours.

Remember the EA is not working for you. They are taking instructions from the vendor. If the vendor hasn't updated the EA the EA can't update you.

When making an offer on a house offer what it is worth to you. From the offers you made it looks as if you were not very keen on getting the house because you started so low. While you were making these multiple offers someone could have come along and made a much better offer.
  • You made a low offer, were told what they may accept but made two more offers below that . . .
    Do you believe they'll ever take you seriously now?
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Given that you keep offering more, they may be interested in how high you will actually go!!
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    I think your mistake was in offering so many times, it makes it look like your first offers weren't serious and suggests that you might have just kept increasing up to any price!
    In future I would make 2 offers max. Offer lower than your final offer once if you want to try for a lower price, but make your second offer your best and final one, and be prepared to walk away if the offer it rejected, safe in the knowledge that you would not have been happy to pay more for that property.
  • grussell
    edited 13 January 2018 at 5:40PM
    House offer accepted.
  • grussell
    House offer accepted.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    grussell wrote: »
    Is anyone not the slightest bit shocked at this?
    No, it really is just you. :D

Either the sellers have made a decision about your offer or they haven't. If they have made a decision, they'll let you know. I'm not sure what "explanation" you'd expect in the meantime, other than "they're having a think about it". Did you make any "courtesy phone calls" to the estate agents to ask how they were getting on? Or set any sort of deadline(s)?
  • grussell
    House offer accepted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business