Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,868
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Ohh lovely rosa, I treated myself to a lush bubble bar and bath bomb last time I was out shopping in nearby Big Town for a night like that too :D only thing is I like having a bath like that in a freshly cleaned bathroom, so I have to clean the bathroom beforehand :rotfl:

Hope all well with you Rosa x

I do that too :rotfl:though as these days I only have a bath in hotels it's somebody else's problem!

Am hoping to book some time away soon and will be ensuring that I have a room with a bath and a different bath treat every night :D

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    I've been looking at next month's budget too. Time to get really organised now so will also have a bit of a tight month. As there's just the 29 days in Feb this year, I feel this is the least painful tight month! :o

I like your version of godessing! Especially the fresh bedsheets after a lovely bath.

I hope you're having a great week. MTxx

That's a very good point MT, if we are going to have a difficult budgeting month at least we've picked the right one!
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Budget is still ticking along and payday is approaching, so I'm looking forward to card clearing. I've also just figured out how to add accounts in the new YNAB that aren't included in the budget (they get categorised as Tracking when you create them) so that's useful. I have a current account I don't use and have debated closing it but feel happier knowing that I have an alternative if anything goes wrong with my main bank.

Feeling a little pushed for time this week as it includes three days away for work, but I will get the time back later so it will be OK. I'm trying to find out exactly what day my final exam for college will be as I agreed to a training course at work that I really want to do and was short of places, because I thought I'd be clear by then :( - really hoping it won't clash.

Continuing the goddessing theme I have booked myself a haircut and a new eyelash treatment next month :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    My Desire Map daily planner is earning its keep already. One of the things that has kept popping up in the 'want to change' bit is my morning routine, as well as my sleep (which I was already working on before Christmas).

Yesterday I was at a training course which happened to mention sleep, and I decided even though I was due in college today I was going to have a really early night. Then I woke up this morning at silly o'clock ready to get going, thought of all the hassle of travel and how nice it would be to have a day at home studying instead... and thought 'the whole point is to feel good' (line from Danielle LaP).

So I've cancelled college, don't need to go back to bed because I already had enough sleep, and have decided to experiment with waking early and if necessary going to bed early! I have plenty of stuff to do, am just a bit befuddled at the idea of any of it getting done at 0830 :eek::D.

So this is a tiny experiment and a glimpse to see how the world might be if I really do wake up every morning to tea, meditation, poems, yoga and being set up for the day in advance instead of begrudgingly falling out of bed and rushing about to get places a bit late. So far the main disadvantage I can spot is the risk of becoming unbearably smug :rotfl:but anyway I wanted to post this somewhere that would record the time!

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been recently reading that the most successful people in life are generally the early risers who wake with a purpose. With a morning routine to set you up for the day I can't see how you could really fail! So many of the successful people I follow do that, so I can see it works.

You should be smug! You've earned it!!!! :cool: MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Well I have usually just had a routine that fits with later in the day, but everything suffers from 1) trying to do too much anyway, and 2) the rest of the world limiting its working hours. Also, the more I read about getting yourself focused and prepared, in mindset as well as organisation, the more I am thinking I want to try getting ahead of myself.

Today's experiment has met with mixed success :rotfl:... I got a few things done but then put my head down to think about things and woke up 3 hours later! So I was obviously still in sleep debt, and didn't get things done in the morning... but it was SO lovely to be awake in the quiet time and feel I had lots of time available, and that's motivating.

Am watching Mr :money:thinking I must sort a new internet contract... off to the main site!

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    Forumite
    I love those ad hoc sleeps that I didn't expect to have. Hopefully you're feeling more lively and less sleep deprived now? Have a lovely week. MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Well bills are paid and all is well :) I am still getting used to the new YNAB way of handling credit cards, but I think I've got it right and having cleared the current balance on the statement, the rest will just show as allocated for next month when it will need to be paid.

I won't be clearing the Last Card after all this month - I forgot I needed to renew my internet contract :o and have paid up front to get the best deal, so that's £185 out of the budget (with £50 cashback to come). I've put a transaction at the same cost in YNAB for next January, so I don't forget then.

I also have a special event this month and decided to be honest with myself and allocate the money now, instead of putting it on the credit card. So at present I have about £70 I can take off the Last Card, and I'm waiting on about £200 coming in (which of course in the new YNAB I can't allocate because it says I don't have it yet). So I will wait on the next statement and see where I'm at, then pay off what I can. I hope to clear about £300 with this month's pay, which is about half the remaining balance, so it's not bad progress at all.

Not much other :money:type news... cost of living pay rise supposed to show up next month, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that.

So just plodding those last few steps now... :T

Rosa xx
  • Just popping in to say hi Rosa. I am another who would love to rise early and go to bed early. Maybe it will happen in the next couple of weeks after I've had a lovely couple of lie ins.

Take care.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • MuffinTops
    Forumite
    Hello Rosa,

Popping by to say hello as I've missed your updates. Leaving some chocolate biscuits, lindt chocolate balls and a few cat biscuits to entice you back.

MTxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure