Seriously Bad Rating......

Hello everyone :)

I resently checked my credit rating on a website called checkmyfile.com and was given a very low score, in fact it actually said "you have scored the worse score of all" or something like that :-/

The actual score was 535 which i understand is very low....

How accurate are these sites?

Is it possible for me to get a credit card with such a pathetic credit rating?

Anyone have any ideas ???

Thanks everyone ::) ;)

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are you on the electoral roll?

If not then get yourself on it straight away.

There are several possible reasons I can think of

not on electoral roll
    low income
    not had credit before
    bad credit previously

Do any of these apply to you?
  • TheDink
    TheDink Posts: 443 Forumite
    Or being linked to someone else who has a history of bad credit could also impact your score.

The best thing to do is get copies of your credit file from Experian and Equifax and check them thoroughly. I wouldn't rely on checkmyfile.com as your only source of info. It's only £2 to get your file (and Experian are running a free on line trial at the moment).

Get the information from the horses mouth ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Is it possible for me to get a credit card with such a pathetic credit rating?

Anyone have any ideas  ???

Thanks everyone  ::)  ;)
    I got a credit card whilst on benefits once :(
  • I'm not on the electoral roll...

I have owed money before but never had a CCJ against me.

My income at the moment is low but is usually earn more.

I applied online yesterday for a capital one no hassle card and are still awaiting the outcome. Going by my previous attemps to gain credit this will probably be turned down :( but it does say you only need to earn 10,000 or more to get one and i get a lot more that :)

Anyway, i'm sure i will be turned down for this...

How much will it help being on the electoral roll??

Anyway must get back to work :(

I will reply to any future posts after 6pm :)

Thanks and bye ;)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How much will it help being on the electoral roll??

It will help a lot.
    It is an indication that you really do live at the property.

Getting turned down a lot won't help either, because the searches will show up on your credit file.

Perhaps it's worth getting a copy of your credit report to see what's on there.

There as an offer recently for getting your Equifax report and credit rating on line for £3.50 (use the search facility).

I found the credit rating quite useful because it pointed me to a few areas.
    It isn't just a number, it tells you how you fare in each category i.e. electoral role, credi accounts, searches, CCJs etc.

You never know there might even be a mistake on your report that is causing problems.
    You can get the statutory report by post for £2, but I found the £3.50 offer quite useful.
  • Thanks for the suggestions :)

I've always been bad with my money (but always had it) and now i'm earning less i need to be more carefull.

Do you know if i can do the electoral roll online?

Also i keep hearing people say that the address where you live can effect your rating ??? Is this true because have received letters regarding monies owned by previous occupants :-/

lol for someone who works in finance i'm pretty useless at this hey ;D

Thanks people ;)
  • rinoa778
    rinoa778 Posts: 196 Forumite
    I don't know if you can do the electoral roll online but it's really simple to phone up your local council and request a form; which they will send to you. The form is one of the easiest I've had to fill in!
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
  • ;)  moving house alot doesn't help either
  • ::) Yeahhhh.... i've moved around quite a bit  :-/

i'll get myself on the roll and take it from there i think

Dam i really need a card  :-/
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    I know someone who is resident here but from China, so not on electoral roll. Can he add a statement to his credit file or something explaining that he is not on the electoral roll because he is not a UK citizen, but has lived here for x years and has no intention of leaving? Is that possible, and would it do him any good, or would the fact he isn't on the electoral roll still be a major negative for him?
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure