HSBC Advance Switch Offer

Comments

• I would never lie on an application as advised above, I work in financial services so it's not worth screwing my career up for.

I have applied for first direct a week ago, still waiting to hear back
  • First Direct seem to vary on who they approve...I was accepted for both bank and Credit card instantly, whilst others with better credit files get rejected, makes no sense.

No suggests you should lie on application, pointless as would only be picked up on credit check. However as quoted Martin states the minimum earning if you wanted to know what your monthly salary needs to be.

My post wasn't understood and some nugget has assumed it was trying to suggest you should lie on application.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    First Direct seem to vary on who they approve...I was accepted for both bank and Credit card instantly, whilst others with better credit files get rejected, makes no sense.
    Because whether your credit file is good or bad isn't the only factor considered when they decide whether or not to allow you to open an account. Having a history of good credit management suggests you are less likely to get into debt and make them a profit. Banks don't always want customers like that, some want customers who struggle with their debts, so long as they don't pose too much risk.
    No suggests you should lie on application, pointless as would only be picked up on credit check. However as quoted Martin states the minimum earning if you wanted to know what your monthly salary needs to be.

My post wasn't understood and some nugget has assumed it was trying to suggest you should lie on application.
    A credit check wouldn't be used to confirm your salary.

Your post can be interpreted that way. If it wasn't what you meant then all you needed to do was to clarify the point, rather than getting offensive about it (and continuing to be offensive).

But again, there is no minimum income requirement to apply for an Advance account. You only need to be able to meet a minimum pay-in requirement. The comment attributed to Martin is misleading in suggesting otherwise.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Banksie
    Banksie Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I completed an online application for an HSBC account on 8 Jan 18 to benefit from the £150 plus the £50 bonus. All went well. Approved and told they'd be in touch. Got a letter today to say I needed to go to a branch to verify my pension income. No problem with this except it's 40 miles away in Glasgow. I called the number they gave (Got the call options "press button" etc which asked me to enter account number and sort code - I had to work my way through loads of options to get a voice) and eventually spoke to a man in the Phillipines who confirmed this was necessary and would involve an interview as well as presenting the documents.

I can't understand why HSBC offer an on-line application process for an account that requires you to register with on line banking and, insists on a branch visit! Why not just say " apply in branch only"?. I am leaving my current bank because of overseas based poor customer service so I won't be completing the application.

Called First Direct to day and got through instantly to a lady in Yorkshire. She say they allow 3rd party verification (Countersigned copies by a professional).

So surprised to see that HSBC are part of First Direct (or is it the other way?) Anyway I'll give First Direct a go based on feedback on customer service.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Samsung_Note2 Posts: 774 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2018 at 4:55PM
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Because whether your credit file is good or bad isn't the only factor considered when they decide whether or not to allow you to open an account. Having a history of good credit management suggests you are less likely to get into debt and make them a profit. Banks don't always want customers like that, some want customers who struggle with their debts, so long as they don't pose too much risk.

A credit check wouldn't be used to confirm your salary.

Your post can be interpreted that way. If it wasn't what you meant then all you needed to do was to clarify the point, rather than getting offensive about it (and continuing to be offensive).

But again, there is no minimum income requirement to apply for an Advance account. You only need to be able to meet a minimum pay-in requirement. The comment attributed to Martin is misleading in suggesting otherwise.

I always understood that when credit checked your salary was known...that's why on every application I've made its been a true figure, other wise I could state I earn £100,00 when its not any where near that.

Ok well here is Martins updated blurb...and guess what he mentions...he is suggesting what you need to earn, which is exactly what I was getting at oringinaly,if your going for the switch and paying in wages as I will be,thats the amount you need to be putting down. Or in my case its slightly more.

The minimum pay-in is £1,750/mth - effectively a way of saying you need an annual salary of £26,100+ going in.

My post ""On MSE switch guide Martin does give minimum amount you need to earn. And the monthly amount, suggests to me what figure you need to say you earn on application. ""

Now do you grasp what I was getting at...if your funding the switch via wages then there's the minimum you need in black and white...but I guess trying to suggest someone is advocating lying on an application and intentionally trying to be a scum bag is much more entertaining huh.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok well here is Martins updated blurb...and guess what he mentions...he is suggesting what you need to earn, which is exactly what I was getting at oringinaly,if your going for the switch and paying in wages as I will be,thats the amount you need to be putting down. Or in my case its slightly more.
    I can understand if you don't want to believe me, fair enough. Perhaps you'll accept what someone who has been around a lot longer than both of us says:-
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Hi Phil And welcome.
    It doesn't have to be from income otherwise it'd say that in the T&Cs. <snip>
    Now do you grasp what I was getting at...if your funding the switch via wages then there's the minimum you need in black and white...
    When you made it clear in post #13 then yes. But your original post was ambiguous. You might have known what you were saying but there was more than one way of reading it, and people making the alternative suggestion is not unknown on here... there was another example today:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73731862#post73731862
    That one could mean draw a pretty picture on the application form, but we all know what it really means.
    ...but I guess trying to suggest someone is advocating lying on an application and intentionally trying to be a scum bag is much more entertaining huh.
    That wasn't what I was trying to do, and to be honest I think you overreacted. Internet forums are not like chatting to a mate in the pub - it is easy for things to be misinterpreted, the best thing to do is to explain what you meant and then move on. Hopefully we can do that now. :)
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    I can understand if you don't want to believe me, fair enough. Perhaps you'll accept what someone who has been around a lot longer than both of us says:-

When you made it clear in post #13 then yes. But your original post was ambiguous. You might have known what you were saying but there was more than one way of reading it, and people making the alternative suggestion is not unknown on here... there was another example today:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73731862#post73731862
    That one could mean draw a pretty picture on the application form, but we all know what it really means.

That wasn't what I was trying to do, and to be honest I think you overreacted. Internet forums are not like chatting to a mate in the pub - it is easy for things to be misinterpreted, the best thing to do is to explain what you meant and then move on. Hopefully we can do that now. :)

No i often confuse myself....:D:D

Its words on a PC screen...despite coming across :mad: its more often :p:p occasionally :eek::eek :beer:
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Banksie wrote: »
    So surprised to see that HSBC are part of First Direct (or is it the other way?) Anyway I'll give First Direct a go based on feedback on customer service.

not sure which one is the senior partner (guessing HSBC as it's been around a long time) but HSBC, 1st Direct and M&S bank are all from the same stable.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    No i often confuse myself....

Happens to us all sometimes :beer:
  • I had a Yorkshire Bank account with nearly £1500 in that I did nothing with - no DDs or anything paid into regularly as most of my Banking is done through Barclays. So after watching Martins show on TV I decided to switch from Yorkshire to HSBC to get the £200 offer. I read the T&Cs specifically 4 c. "you instruct us to start a full switch of a current account, including at least two Direct Debits or Standing Orders"

They switched the account successfully and as soon as they did I rang to get 2 DDs switched from Barclays and to organise £1800 a month to be paid in to the account so that I would qualify for the offer. They point blank refused to do this and said I would not qualify as the DDs were not transferred from my Yorkshire Bank account. I was on the phone for 48 minutes trying to get someone to agree that their T%Cs are not clear in that regard - No Joy and Not Happy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure