HSBC Switch

I've done all the switches so far...thought what the heck might as well try HSBC and as kind of expected got the "We have further checks to make etc".

Today debit card dropped through the door,no email stating they had approved the account...no mention of switching time/date nothing.

Is this normal or has something gone wrong...all other accounts ive done seemed to have more comms and telling your whats happening.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds a bit odd especially as HSBC have been notoriously slow previously with wads of paperwork to be signed etc, in the past I have always advocated going into a branch to speed things up!
    I would be inclined to give them a ring.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • This just gets more weird.....

So phoned up and account is live,switch is taking place on agreed date and everything is fine.

Letter in the post...dont need to sign just correspondence....registered for online banking and just logged in and seen message icon,clicked that and its the two generic letters they have sent.

Now this has freaked me out...i've got a message regards a disputed bank transfer i made on 08.07.2008,i've never banked with HSBC.

Thing is my name in full is correct as is my wife's name who the disputed bank transfer is with.

I had M&S recently for the switching bonus...but going back to 2008 i was only with Natwest and maybe Barclays and both of them were the basic accounts.

Please dont say phone up and ask as the Chap Raj and latter Rohinder where a complete nightmare trying to be understood for 20 mins.

On the plus side the website looks ok as does app...so might keep this one in reserve.
  • Katiehound wrote: »
    Sounds a bit odd especially as HSBC have been notoriously slow previously with wads of paperwork to be signed etc, in the past I have always advocated going into a branch to speed things up!
    I would be inclined to give them a ring.......

I applied online on the 11th..thats 2 days from applying to having account open and card land on door mat.

No pin yet...but still thats pretty damn quick.:eek:
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Erm... yes,I'd forgotten that their call centre may not be UK based! When I can't quite understand I blame a bad line- and try again!

Weird about your wife's account. Do you have the opportunity to go into a branch next week to attempt a sort out?
    Have either of you banked with M&S or First Direct? (the same stable.)
    First Direct have exceedingly long memories.....so long that I can't get any switch deal!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Samsung_Note2
    Samsung_Note2 Posts: 774 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 7:06PM
    I could go into branch next week..but i know i never had HSBC and only recently say the last 6-8 months have i had M&S which i switched to and then from after bonus and then onto First direct who i keep as a back up account (heard they can be fussy who they take...so kept them lol).

Sorry should have made it clear...i've got a message on my new HSBC account that's from another HSBC bank account (shows the old account and sort code) from 2008...message is about a transfer i made from my HSBC account to my wifes Natwest account.

Just googled the branch sort code and its coventry...thats roughly an hour and a bit away and 60 odd miles so deffo not my branch...odd..lol

Never ever had HSBC...simply wouldn't have been accepted...credit back then was through the floor.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 406
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you tell me, did you apply online? If so, did you get an email?

I applied online, everything seemed to work. I got to the end of the process, it said it was doing credit check, and then it was accepted, and said to finish the process I just had to bring proof of ID and proof of address into a branch.

Great, I thought. Tried to close the window, but it kept saying "you have unsaved data, do you really want to close". I left it open for 30 mins, before finally closing it.

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email, text, or anything. What is normal here? Should I get my first confirmation in the post? Or should I go into a branch with the proofs, and see whether I have actually started the process or not?

Every other bank account I've opened in the last 10 years gave me multiple emails telling me about my application, and sometimes texts as well. So I thought it was a bit weird that I received nothing at all. It made me think I'd put the wrong email address, but they should have some kind of confirmation process to verify your email anyway, what modern company wouldn't?
  • Yes applied online and at the end it said a generic looking message about "We have some futher checks to make and will be in contact shortly" so assumed that was a No.

Then a Debit card dropped through the door...obviously attached to a letter,but letter was just the standard blurb about activating card.

Had no letters yet and no emails...although it looks like someone has had an account in my name in 2008 (100% not me)....so wonder if i"ll get switch bonus.
  • rowla
    rowla Posts: 53
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    zzzt wrote: »
    Can you tell me, did you apply online? If so, did you get an email?

I applied online, everything seemed to work. I got to the end of the process, it said it was doing credit check, and then it was accepted, and said to finish the process I just had to bring proof of ID and proof of address into a branch.

Great, I thought. Tried to close the window, but it kept saying "you have unsaved data, do you really want to close". I left it open for 30 mins, before finally closing it.

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email, text, or anything. What is normal here? Should I get my first confirmation in the post? Or should I go into a branch with the proofs, and see whether I have actually started the process or not?

Every other bank account I've opened in the last 10 years gave me multiple emails telling me about my application, and sometimes texts as well. So I thought it was a bit weird that I received nothing at all. It made me think I'd put the wrong email address, but they should have some kind of confirmation process to verify your email anyway, what modern company wouldn't?

This happened to me....

Applied online last Sunday. I went into a branch the next day (Monday) to provide ID & proof of address and also to confirm the application was completed ok. I said I didn't receive any emails confirming anything however she said not to worry and that the account is setup fine.
    She also said stuff will just start arriving for my account in the post and I shouldn't expect anything via email.

The following day (Tuesday) a letter arrived requesting I bring ID to a branch (proof of address was not mentioned like at the end of the online application). As I already had done this I ignored the letter.

Then on Friday my debit card arrived & I was able to setup online banking (not the easiest to do) and activate the card. I assume the PIN will arrive one day this week & my switch should happen at the end of the month as requested.

Also you may get a fraud check if you try & transfer all or most of the £1750 back out again quickly. I assume/hope this is only for the first transaction and won't be a problem in the following months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure