PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on this bad house bidding experience...

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    grussell wrote: »
    Yes. Countless. I had to chase them many times.

Well, if they were talking to you countless times maybe they didn't feel the need to have additional conversations with you if there was nothing further to tell you.
  • grussell
    grussell Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 6:40PM
    House offer accepted.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    davidmcn isn't being immature, he's giving accurate advice.

For any further properties you want to offer on, follow the advice in post #7.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I’m not going to entertain your immaturity.

Not being immature in the slightest.

What frequency of phone calls were you making during this 4 day period for them to become "countless"? If someone is calling you frequently and you've got nothing new to tell them, what on earth is the point of wasting even more of your time by calling you back to tell you that nothing has changed? After all, while they're doing that they could be missing the call from their client - or just unable to do something more productive with their time.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think what you’ve experienced is fairly normal. Yes there are agreements struck much more simply than you’ve experienced but there are also many, many protracted, sometimes contrary negotiations that lead nowhere. It’s a normal part of house-hunting I’m afraid.

If this is the first house you’ve liked and bid on, I’d suggest some changes to your approach to the next one. Firstly, don’t make yourself look desperate by continually ramping up your offers. Your timeline doesn’t show how long you left it between upping your offer each time but if it was fairly soon after each rejection, the vendor would simply think “this person’s taking the mickey” or perhaps “they’re clearly keen so I’ll keep knocking them back assuming they’ll keep increasing their offer.” If I was the vendor I’d think both and when you stop offering, I’d leave it a while and perhaps go back and ask if your last offer still stood (assuming it was acceptable to me). Secondly, don’t make so many offers, for similar reasons.

You said it was already reduced, probably in response to limited or no offers the first time, so your even lower offer was rejected even though you think it reflects the real value. Do you think they should give you a double reduction?

Finally, you will have to accept that if it’s a house you’re really set on, you have to work to the vendor’s timetable or walk away. Their EA is working for them and has no obligation to do anything other than act in their interests.
  • grussell
    edited 13 January 2018 at 6:41PM
    House offer accepted.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Definitely not going to defend my emotions after having four offers rejected. I am human, after all. I really felt like this was the “one”.

Ideally, however hard it is, you need to try and keep your emotions in check otherwise buying your first property is going to be more of a nightmare for you than it normally is. It might feel like 'the one' now, but there will be another 'one' around the corner.

I do think that to wait four days for a vendor to reply to an offer without as much as a courtesy phone call to explain the delay lacks some professional etiquette.

The vendors will probably have other things to deal with as well as selling their house. Don't take it personally.

Not only that but after matching the vendors request, my offer was further declined. Is anyone not the slightest bit shocked at this?

Not shocked at all. It took you an additional 3 offers to get where they told you they wanted to be after the first offer. They had more or less said they'd meet you in the middle but you still didn't really get close with your next offer.

Maybe they were waiting for someone else to make an acceptable offer who they thought would be easier to deal with, and when that happened your offer was rejected. Or in the time it took you to get to their requested price, someone had gone above 162.

The vendors may have thought you were a time waster, or that you would keep going up and up with your offers.

Anyway, buying a house is a learning curve, and this will only help you when you find another one you like. Good luck.
  • I've just had an offer accepted on a house, and I'm an FTB.
    I made three offers, one of which I knew would be rejected, one which I thought might be accepted, and the accepted one.
    First offer I made, waited and it was rejected. Second one, I made a large increase to show that I was serious about the property. Third one, I made a much smaller increase, but when the agent rang to say the 2nd offer was rejected, I asked for some time and then went back and made it clear that was the final offer, else I was walking away.
    Make sure you've set your 'walk away' price before you enter negotiations.
    Good luck!
  • grussell
    edited 13 January 2018 at 6:41PM
    House offer accepted.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 January 2018 at 10:22PM
    Perhaps it’s the way you’ve worded it, it comes across as slightly sarcastic and immature. I’m 18 years old so finding this house buying stuff quite a challenge.

In terms of “countless” - let me rephrase that for you - I called the EA “countless” times with no response and e-mailed, my first bit of contact was on the third day. I run my own company and still have time to respond to calls and emails in a timely manner. I have read the reviews on Trust Pilot based on the EA that I used (in this exact location) and the reviews are saying the same thing I have said.
    That’s odd. You were 23 years old in 2014.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135243
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport