Reminder: Halifax Free Cash £50 cardholders

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Can you believe it’s almost nine months since the £50 free cash Halifax loophole? Well if you can’t you should do. Nine months 0% offer length, so if you’ve debts on the card, it’s time to balance transfer it away, and stop using it for spending. Best Balance Transfer article, Best Card for Purchases article.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• laminki
    laminki Posts: 140 Forumite
    thanks for the reminder.

doesn't time fly!
  • scattycat_3
    scattycat_3 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Halifax will only allow one card account, tranferring may be possible tho, anyone had experience of this?

Halifax card used to be:-
    First National Bank of Chicago, who strangely wanted to join the UK mellay, and set up in Cardiff, They were one of the first US banks to do this, were subsequently taken over by Bank One, who quickly realised the UK market was not US (Amex style ). and sold it to the Halifax who were lookin to expand, after conversion.

So now HBOS, some reorg can be expected, especially since BOS has a decent Scattish Scottish setup. [comeback Gal :'(]

lol scat ;)
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Halifax will only allow one card account, tranferring may be possible tho, anyone had experience of this?

Halifax card used to be:-
    First National Bank of Chicago, who strangely wanted to join the UK mellay, and set up in Cardiff, They were one of the first US banks to do this, were subsequently taken over by Bank One, who quickly realised the UK market was not  US  (Amex style ). and sold it to the Halifax who were lookin to expand, after conversion.

So now HBOS, some reorg can be expected, especially since BOS has a decent Scattish Scottish setup. [comeback Gal  :'(]

lol scat  ;)

Halifax cards were around before Bank One, Halifax took them over and used lots of the tactics that Bank One used such as good interest rates on cards etc. You can upgrade to the new Halifax One card and get a 0% for nine months again!!!
  • scattycat_3
    Sorry, forgot the word Paltinum, would dropping that one for the One card be an upgrade?
    Would require a search thro fine print, maybe Amex better.

History,
    Halifax were no big player in 2000, I think they only had three cards, two ordinary Visa and one Gold MC, and only issued around 1m cards to a customer base of around 22m, hardly a large take-up by a captive audiance.

Bank One with its affinity portfolio (think Man. City card was theirs, Martin ?) [creep] and platinum prefference, just wanted out and i believe persuaded Hx it would fit their (Hx's) business plan

Scat
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
  • scattycat_3
    P.S. Thomo, hope you are taking good care of my mices ;)
    Moi....? ;)

• pipee
    pipee Posts: 70 Forumite
    I had the £50 platinum card, the 9 month offer for me expires today. I paid off the balance last week phoned Halifax on 0800 38 91 166 and they were more than happy to convert it to the One card with 0% for another 9 months. They will transfer the credit limit over as well (which for most has probably been recently increased). I received the new terms and conditions within a few days which I signed and returned, job done! The most important thing to remember is to pay off the full balance before converting it!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • I did the same thing.

Paid off the balance last week and phoned today and asked to upgrade. 2 minutes later accepted and the documentation is in the post for my signature.

I even asked when the new card arrives can i do a balance transfer at 0% and this was confirmed.

They did stress any balance transferring over from my platinum card will be at the standard rate.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    ??? Hi CAn someone explain the £50 loop hole i took my card out about two months ago and when i opened the card i had something about the £50 when you use the card three times but just got my first statement and cant see anything about it on it.

Just wondering if there is any catch i may of missed thanks...
    les
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,352
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [I did not know that Halifax were still offering £50, but good luck if you've got one which does!]

These rebates took several months to be processed on the original offers, last year, since they were having to be made by a 'dedicated team' at Halifax. So the advice would be: Don't worry as long as you have made the necessary number of tranactions (and Hailifax can tell you if you have) - but expect some delay to occur before any actual rebate is made to your account.

[Look for 'With Compliments' on the statement - that's all it will say]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • ??? This may seem like a blast from the past but for some reason Halifax has refused to honour its £50 free cash loophole. I've spoken to various operators at Halifax and been told over several months that my account would be credited. Then out of the blue I received a letter from Halifax stating that they award the cash "at their discretion". I'm stunned by their audacity! Has anyone else had this problem? And when did Halifax establish a loophole for it's cash loophole? Surely I'm entitled to this money as I've met the criteria for the card and used the card three times during the first month? Help me please!!! :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure