PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dried beans etc vs tinned

Comments

• stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Are dried beans/chickpeas etc very much cheaper than tinned? ..... was the question and is something I have always wondered too.

I suppose the only way is to count or weigh the drained beans in a tin and then weigh that number of dried ones. Cooking costs need to be added too, but batch cooking will keep that down.

I suppose the next comparison will be which brand of tinned pulses has the best solid to liquid ratio :confused:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Not sure on weights exactly but a 500g bag of dried pulses when cooked will fill up a measuring jug to the 2½ pint mark (or thereabouts). I soak cook and freeze whole packets of beans frequently. I freeze them in 2 cup portions which is roughly equivalent to a tin and add them straight from frozen to my stew/curry.

Next time I do a bag, I'll remember to weigh the cooked beans and post it here ;) this may be a while as I'm working my way through a large supply of beans already frozen.

As for cost, at Tesco a 420g tin of kidney beans is 46p and a 500g packet of dried kidney beans is 72p. So, if you remember that the dried beans will produce 2½ pints of beans they are clearly cheaper than tinned. Btw you can by frozen beans now at Tesco, unfortunately they aren't listed on the website so I couldn't check the price, but I'm sure they were well over £1 for a medium sized bag.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    I always use Tesco value canned kidney beans - and I put the whole lot in a dish including the liquid.

Haricot beans are my faves. One pack provides four packs of 1 'tin sized' portions for the freezer.

I have recipes for chick peas that says they should be soaked overnight or for 8 hours - then they are ground up in the food processor with other ingredients and made into balls which are then cooked. Made them several times.

When I go to France on a booze cruise I buy lots of cans of flageolot beans and lentils. Triff value and very good value. - Own brands, of course. Auchon also do their version of value which are good.
  • champys wrote: »
    Could I just bring this thread back? There is a lot of information here, but what I can't find is the equivalent weight of dry beans/pulses for a tin of cooked ones. Does anybody know? I tend to guess when using recipes specifying tinned, but usually end up on the generous side and have that awkward left over that is not quite enough for another meal.
    Also wondered whether the dry to cooked ratio is much different between beans/chick peas/lentils etc. Thanks in advance for any info!

I use about half the weight of dried pulse to tinned.

As for cooking, I have a Rayburn which is on a low heat constantly through the colder months. I cook my pulses in there. If you have the oven on low, it might be economical to cook pulses there, rather than on the hob.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I use about half the weight of dried pulse to tinned.

As for cooking, I have a Rayburn which is on a low heat constantly through the colder months. I cook my pulses in there. If you have the oven on low, it might be economical to cook pulses there, rather than on the hob.

HTH, Penny. x

Penny that sounds sensible, thanks - so just to make sure does that mean in practice that if a recipe states a tin of beans/pulses, and a tin is a 400g tin, you use 200g dried ones? Or is it different because the 400g tin also contains the cooking liquid, so I should look at the drained weight? I am probably making it more complicated than it is.....! As for cooking them, I do it in the pressure cooker - that is quite economical as well.

"Equivalents:For most beans: 1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dried = 4 - 5 cups cooked beans" from this page.

keth, similar question to you - I had actually seen that conversion rate before, but do you know how many cups of cooked beans does a 400g tin contain?
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    champys wrote: »

"Equivalents:For most beans: 1 pound dried beans = 2 cups dried = 4 - 5 cups cooked beans" from this page.

keth, similar question to you - I had actually seen that conversion rate before, but do you know how many cups of cooked beans does a 400g tin contain?
    I got my 2 and a half pint figure from a US conversion table which said 1 lb of beans yields 6 cups cooked -so more or less the same. Probably depends a bit on the type of bean.

I use 2 cups of beans for recipes calling for a 400g tin. But beans are not like flour or eggs in a baking recipe are they ? So, I tend to go by eye and how hungry we are ;)
  • champys
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I
    I use 2 cups of beans for recipes calling for a 400g tin. But beans are not like flour or eggs in a baking recipe are they ? So, I tend to go by eye and how hungry we are ;)

That's close enough, thanks thriftlady! From now on, if it says a tin cooked I will use 2 cups dry. I shall write that down now and stick it on the inside of the store cupboard :-)

Ch.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • champys wrote: »
    Penny that sounds sensible, thanks - so just to make sure does that mean in practice that if a recipe states a tin of beans/pulses, and a tin is a 400g tin, you use 200g dried ones? Or is it different because the 400g tin also contains the cooking liquid, so I should look at the drained weight? I am probably making it more complicated than it is.....! As for cooking them, I do it in the pressure cooker - that is quite economical as well.

You're confusing me, now :eek: :confused: :rotfl: I'm more of a *sling it in and hope for the best* sort of cook, rather than exact weights ;) I made a Moroccan vegetable pie last week, which called for *400g tin of chick peas*. I used 200g dried - does that answer the question?

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • champys
    Penny

Yes it does...! Thanks again. Don't mind me, I was trained as an accountant :-)
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    champys wrote: »

Nope. i just reasoned that you couldn't be the first person to ask this question, and i was curious as to the answer myself, since i'm trying to cook with pulses more, so i went looking :) I do know that this page has details of how much (weightwise) equals cups (volume) wise for different things. If you look at the bean section, it gives 2 different amounts for 1 cup - 62g for cooked black or kidney beans, 75g for cooked Lima or Navy beans. From there you can extrapolate (and often, with tins of things like pulses, the can contains a "drained weight" info as well).

hope that's a bit more help - i find that page above very useful, along with Cooks Thesaurus (the first link i gave) for info on different foods, especially ones that get called one thing in the US and another thing here (a hazard if you like recipes off the net!)

HTH

keth
    xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills