Thoughts on...

Fellow Dad's, been divorced 2.5 years and ex-wife has confirmed she is now in a new relationship that has become serious, she has already mentioned introducing our young son to the new partner. What are your thoughts on me meeting this person too? Personally, I have very little interest in meeting this other chap unless a situation developed in which they ended up living together etc. Interested to see what the views are.

Cheers.
“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”

Comments

• geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with you would meet him if they decide to live together. I would hope she has been in the relationship at least six months before she has him meet your son.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2019 at 3:52PM
    So what are you going to do if:

Your ex says no to you meeting the new partner?

You take an instant dislike to him?

Not much you can do, is there?

I'm not a dad, so hope that doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.
  • Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    All opinions welcome!

It's a tricky one, but guess I would have to trust my ex wife's judgment of character and go from there. There are no plans to introduce our son just yet and we have agreed to be open and honest. It's a tough one for me, but I want to handle it maturely for the benefit of our boy. This works both ways too of course, I am not being one sided of naive.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • Davon
    Davon Posts: 3 Newbie
    This is why I don't like dealing with ex wife. They leave and they easily get a new guy to start their life again. Well, for me i'd better enjoy my life and pick up girls with no strings attached than dealing with emotional issues.
  • Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That's why I want to be the bigger man and handle this when the time is right to do so, never thought is was going to be easy but was very interested to see what the general opinion was, I know I am not in a unique situation, sadly this kind of thing happens all the time.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I'd have a serious conversation with your ex if relationships are still amicable enough and tell her of your concerns because sooner or later your vibes, whether they are positive or negative about any new man in her life will be picked up by your child and that is not a good emotional position for him to be placed in.

There may be family occasions in the more distant future where you will find yourselves in the same room or the same family function and they will be a lot more easily negotiated if you're able to do this from a civilised base. I agree its a difficult situation to navigate but you all have to be honest and grown up about this and your child will be less emotionally stressed if he,s not the object of a tug of war between two (or three) warring adults, all of whom will be playing a key part in his life.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    From experience, both my own and in my wifes case, I would say its very beneficial to have at least an amicable relationship with your ex's partner. You dont have to be best mates, but a simple "hi, how are you" from time to time is better for everyone than any hostility

Dont forget, your son will be seeing this person often, and may not share the same views you do on them, which might not make you look good
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure