PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I really hope it doesn't come to that... Its not even as if I'm late or won't pay its just i cant afford to pay 2months with 3days notice.
    Argh
    I emailed them back the other day and had no reply, part of me just thinks to pay it but that literally leaves us with nothing to pay other bills.
    :(

Stop paying rent in advance, start putting money into a slush fund for your next move, move it through premium bonds or something, make a list of any repairs needing done and make sure that the agent follows through, start viewing other properties, maybe with the same agent if they are any good. Make your money work for YOU and get more accomodation options lined up IMO.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Im going to pay the one months rent.

Just hope nothing happens now.

Thanks all.

Feel like i should email the agents to explain why I'm doing this, but I've not actually done any wrong

There is nothing to explain, if they query it then point out the fact on agreement, no need to explain.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    macman wrote: »
    Will not any legal action to evict the tenant fail anyway, because the LL has failed to supply an EPC at the start of the tenancy?
    No.

Lack of an EPC would invalidate a S21 Notice.

It would not invalidate a S8 Notice.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Hi all, me again!

So, we paid the 1 months rent, on time.

Just recieved a call from the estate agent letting us know the landlord needs ro return from dubai urgently, and wants to be in the house by November.

Only had an email the other day asking us if we were now paying rent monthly instead of 3months at a time.

We said we have a contract and she said she needs to see what legal rights he has/we have
    Surely she would know this.

Absolutely gutted is an understatement

Can anyone help
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi all, me again!

Just recieved a call from the estate agent letting us know the landlord needs ro return from dubai urgently, and wants to be in the house by November.

Only had an email the other day asking us if we were now paying rent monthly instead of 3months at a time.

We said we have a contract and she said she needs to see what legal rights he has/we have

Can anyone help

What more help do you require? Your legal position has been explained to you.
  • Jm90 wrote: »
    Hi all, me again!

Can anyone help

When/IF your landlord serves notice, come back and update this thread. Until then, you need do nothing other than continue to pay your rent monthly and live your life. You have a legally binding contract. That said, I'd probably start looking for a new home as your landlord sounds like a proper c**t.
  • If you want practical help you might explain to your landlord that you are entitled to remain in the property, but that if he wants to be in, perhaps he can pay you some money to leave early. You might do that nearer the time.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all, me again!

Can anyone help
    You can ofcourse agree, and set whatever terms you like.

there is no way they can get you out before 2019. So if you want to ask for £5,000 for example, do so.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    looks like the LL wanted their cake and eat it
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    I understand its been explained but i am worried, i have called shelter and they seem to think he is within his rights to serve a section 21 and give me 2 months notice.
    However is has to be written, we just had a phone call from the agents.

I needed to know for definite, as if he can take the house in november i will be less than a month off having my baby, so this needs to be sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure