Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    jimbow25 wrote: »
    I opened this account a year ago today.
    I logged on today and can see the interest has been added and the new interest rate is 0.1%. However the account is still called PREF REG SAV and the system blocks my attempts to open a new regular saver because I "already have one".

I spoke to both web and telephone customer services and they said I have to wait up to 5 working days for the system to cease to recognise it as a regular saver before the system will allow me to open a new one. Has anyone else encountered this issue or know of a resolution?
    I can see that this "works" for the First Direct saver as per Special Saver's post so I'm a bit surprised it doesn't here. Also frustrating as the refusal message says you can open a new one "on or after maturity date". and, I wanted to keep the same anniversary date ideally.

Thanks for the continuing updates to this excellent thread. Ten or so years and going strong! Even if regular savers are not what they once were.

I'm in a similar, but not quite the same:cool: position.

I opened my RS 9th Feb last year. It disappeared completely from the app between 7th & 8th and the balance hasn't yet been credited to my existing Flex Saver Pref. It has simply disappeared into the ether.

Last year the balance on the maturing RS appeared in the Flex Saver Pref on the day after maturity, so I'm hoping it will appear tomorrow.

However, I have been able to apply for a new RS through online banking (not the app), so at least the new one should have the same funding and anniversary dates.
  • andi2
    andi2 Posts: 708 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I logged on today and can see the interest has been added and the new interest rate is 0.1%. However the account is still called PREF REG SAV and the system blocks my attempts to open a new regular saver because I "already have one".

I spoke to both web and telephone customer services and they said I have to wait up to 5 working days for the system to cease to recognise it as a regular saver before the system will allow me to open a new one. Has anyone else encountered this issue or know of a resolution?
    I can see that this "works" for the First Direct saver as per Special Saver's post so I'm a bit surprised it doesn't here. Also frustrating as the refusal message says you can open a new one "on or after maturity date". and, I wanted to keep the same anniversary date ideally.

Thanks for the continuing updates to this excellent thread. Ten or so years and going strong! Even if regular savers are not what they once were.

Hubby's matured on 8th. It had vanished & was renamed by 7th (& balance showing as £0), so he opened a new one. That's up & running today (9th) & his funds with interest were showing today too.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

It will change overnight tonight, as soon as it changes to a savings account you will be able to open a new regular saver.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • The M&S Regular Saver needs two active direct debits to be opened - am I right in thinking they don't have to stay active for the whole 12 months?

(also, the links to the subsections in the first post don't appear to work any more since the thread was resurrected)
  • badger09
    The M&S Regular Saver needs two active direct debits to be opened - am I right in thinking they don't have to stay active for the whole 12 months?

(also, the links to the subsections in the first post don't appear to work any more since the thread was resurrected)

I can't see anything in the summary T&Cs which suggests they must remain active after opening, however as they only need to be 'active' ie pay out once every 12 months, I haven't taken any chances and have move 2 annual DDs to M&S.

That way, I don't have to scurry around looking for new ones when the time comes to renew the Monthly Saver;)
  • badger09
    badger09 wrote: »

I opened my RS 9th Feb last year. It disappeared completely from the app between 7th & 8th and the balance hasn't yet been credited to my existing Flex Saver Pref. It has simply disappeared into the ether.

Last year the balance on the maturing RS appeared in the Flex Saver Pref on the day after maturity, so I'm hoping it will appear tomorrow.

However, I have been able to apply for a new RS through online banking (not the app), so at least the new one should have the same funding and anniversary dates.

UPDATE
    Maturity funds showing in Flex Saver Pref this morning with yesterday's date. New RS not yet showing.

I've had trouble in the past when the renewal application got stuck in their system for some reason, so will monitor closely.
  • badger09 wrote: »

andi2 wrote: »
    Hubby's matured on 8th. It had vanished & was renamed by 7th (& balance showing as £0), so he opened a new one. That's up & running today (9th) & his funds with interest were showing today too.
    Westie983 wrote: »
    It will change overnight tonight, as soon as it changes to a savings account you will be able to open a new regular saver.

Westie983
    Thank you all for the swift responses. However I've now got to 3 days after maturity and I still have PREF REG SAV showing on my account and cannot open a new one.It's maddening. I emptied the account on Saturday for what it's worth. At least the telephone and online support were entirely accurate about their own bank's inefficiencies.
    I am talking about HSBC here by the way. Get the impression badger09 may be discussing another bank as there's no reference to "flex" in this one's name.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am talking about HSBC here by the way. Get the impression badger09 may be discussing another bank...
    I can assure you she knows exactly what she's talking about. ;)
    ...as there's no reference to "flex" in this one's name.
    "Flex Sav Pre" is what your "Pref Reg Sav" becomes on maturity. Once you see this, with the proceeds (or not, in your case), you can apply for your new "Pref Reg Sav".
  • badger09
    badger09 wrote: »
    UPDATE
    Maturity funds showing in Flex Saver Pref this morning with yesterday's date. New RS not yet showing.

I've had trouble in the past when the renewal application got stuck in their system for some reason, so will monitor closely.

Yesterday (12th) New RS appeared online, funded on 11th.
    Thank you all for the swift responses. However I've now got to 3 days after maturity and I still have PREF REG SAV showing on my account and cannot open a new one.It's maddening. I emptied the account on Saturday for what it's worth. At least the telephone and online support were entirely accurate about their own bank's inefficiencies.
    I am talking about HSBC here by the way. Get the impression badger09 may be discussing another bank as there's no reference to "flex" in this one's name.

Sounds like your old account has got stuck in the system as one of my previous ones did. If it hasn't disappeared by now you need to contact them.
    I can assure you she knows exactly what she's talking about. ;)"Flex Sav Pre" is what your "Pref Reg Sav" becomes on maturity. Once you see this, with the proceeds (or not, in your case), you can apply for your new "Pref Reg Sav".

Why thank you kind Sir:o

I like to think I usually do know what I'm talking about, but I'm only human after all (in badger form:rotfl:)

Now I can't get this out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    In the HSBC section at the beginning (and also as quoted above) the 'page 85' link is invalid

"You may also have difficulty opening this account if you do not have a regular income - see page 85 of this thread. "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure