Executor availability.

2»

Comments

• lukewarn
    lukewarn Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 10:12AM
    "He wouldn't offer a legal opinion on the block and delete idea...."

Exactly

He would not be interested in anything where he could not make any money - it is all a big confidence thing designed to frighten you and worry you into reacting.

If you think about it,doing absolutely nothing is a great response as it does a number of (for you) very positive things:

1. You are totally ignoring them - the ultimate insult.
    2 .It is not costing you a penny.
    3. You are not 'fuelling the fire 'of their frivolous complaints.
    4. You are not giving them anything to go on and they are left feeling helpless and powerless.
    5. They get the message that 'you aint bothered' and they will eventually run out of steam and go away.

So,it is a win win situation for you.

The key thing is for you not to let the to$$ers worry you into responding.

I always laugh when solicitors respond to non replies by saying 'I have not yet had the courtesy of a reply !"

What they are really saying is "you ba$stard you are not giving me anything to go on."

Ha ! got you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can block or delete whoever you wish to. Although evidence of abusive communications might be useful at a later stage.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    He wouldn't offer a legal opinion on the block and delete idea. But I'll be doing it anyway.

There's very little to give a legal opinion about. "I have nothing further to say and am blocking your number. If you wish to correspond further, ask your solicitor to write to me."

You are not running any legal risks, e.g. the possibility of a default judgment, by blocking their emails / phone. If they do decide to take you to court, they will have to serve you with court documents in the post, which you can't block and will still get. Only if you ignored those documents would you be running any kind of legal risk.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Macman - good point about keeping them as proof, I didn't think of it that way. Block and delete seems knee-jerk now!
    Malthusian - good point about anything legal will come through the post.

I'm perhaps being over-cautious, but I don't want to make a fundamental mistake now after all this time.

Spec solic rang me this morning. He's doing the final letter, send me a bill, account closed thing. He's going to say that from a legal perspective this matter is closed, no further personal correspondence will be read and if it's a letter (it's emails so far) it will be returned to them/her unopened. He'll keep my file til July 16th (probate + 6 months is July 15th) in case they do actually go and get proper legal advice. If we get something proper through the post in that time then he's good to go again if I need him to.

The 'all equal daughters get an equal share Inheritance Act' claim is only doable til July 15th. But if they wanted to bring a Constructive Trust claim then they've got 6 YEARS! :mad: But that's extremely rare and exceptionally hard to prove he said. "I'm only telling you about it cos you're paying me to give you all the options."

So I'll just wait to hear something official - back to who blinks first, again.

Thanks everyone, you're all an absolute god-send!
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Macman - good point about keeping them as proof, I didn't think of it that way. Block and delete seems knee-jerk now!
    Malthusian - good point about anything legal will come through the post.

I'm perhaps being over-cautious, but I don't want to make a fundamental mistake now after all this time.

Spec solic rang me this morning. He's doing the final letter, send me a bill, account closed thing. He's going to say that from a legal perspective this matter is closed, no further personal correspondence will be read and if it's a letter (it's emails so far) it will be returned to them/her unopened. He'll keep my file til July 16th (probate + 6 months is July 15th) in case they do actually go and get proper legal advice. If we get something proper through the post in that time then he's good to go again if I need him to.

The 'all equal daughters get an equal share Inheritance Act' claim is only doable til July 15th. But if they wanted to bring a Constructive Trust claim then they've got 6 YEARS! :mad: But that's extremely rare and exceptionally hard to prove he said. "I'm only telling you about it cos you're paying me to give you all the options."

So I'll just wait to hear something official - back to who blinks first, again.

Thanks everyone, you're all an absolute god-send!
    It is so nice to hear that someone has had a positive result albeit after a lot of strain and effort on your part. 11/10 for trying and not giving up. It has been a pleasure to help you in a small way.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Well it's not over yet but the estate and legal stuff nearly is I think. Just the nonsense in their latest email to deal with now. I'll not be giving up cos I ain't wrong. "You stand for what's right, even if you stand alone." Dad was always saying that :)

Yous have been more than a small help to me. I honestly don't know what I'd have done without this place, you've practically saved my sanity. It's so reassuring to hear so many people all saying the same thing, it really gave me confidence.

Anyone I'm talking to now that's got the least wee bit of trouble I refer them to here. Every single time. This site is so good that I'd pay to be a member! :D
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure