Mersey flow runcorn ; anyone successfully appealed

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Between opening in October last year and the end of Feb, there has been over 242,000 penalty notices issued - that alone should tell you something is awry.

Reading the Runcorn World last night, the advice seems to be not to pay until a decision has been made about the wording on the charging order ( though I probably would and then try for a refund).

As an aside, travelling over it on Monday night ( resident so I get the £10.00 p.a. tag), my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    bugslet wrote: »
    As an aside, travelling over it on Monday night ( resident so I get the £10.00 p.a. tag), my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.

This is a widely-overlooked issue on the part of the people who design such solutions....not everyone has online access, nor wants it. And even if you have, you may not ever do (or ever want to do) any financial transactions online.

The argument of "well, they'll just have to" just doesn't wash unless internet access and doing financial transactions online is mandated in law for all citizens over 16.

It's similar to car parks where the only way to pay is automated with a mobile phone, same arguments as above.

Such services (tolls, parking, etc.) should never have only one option to pay, much as it will annoy the service provider.

On a local note, people I work with and have to use Runcorn don't have a good word to say about it, especially the ones who have no practical choice other than use it but are outside the "resident's" zone and so don't qualify for the tag :(
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GunJack wrote: »
    Such services (tolls, parking, etc.) should never have only one option to pay, much as it will annoy the service provider.

To be fair, there are a number of ways to pay. However, I'd agree it's very easy to forget.

You can pay
    • online at https://www.merseyflow.co.uk (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    • by phone on 01928 878 878 (available 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 9am-6pm Saturday,
    Sunday and bank holidays)
    • at merseyflow’s walk-in centre at Howard Court, Manor Park, Runcorn, WA7 1SJ between
    9am-7pm Monday-Friday and 9am-6pm Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays
    • at one of 10,000 Payzone outlets across the UK
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ok, not quite so bad, but would you have to go online to find that out??

...or possibly cause an accident on/near the bridge by stopping the car to read the small signs and jot down the payment methods ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Between opening in October last year and the end of Feb, there has been over 242,000 penalty notices issued - that alone should tell you something is awry.
    And in that time, more than 10m vehicles have used the Gateway bridge, together with 80k/day over the Jubilee.

The VAST majority seem to have managed just fine, then.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    ... my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.

Is it time for your friend's parents to stop driving?
  • Tinks74
    Tinks74 Posts: 201 Forumite
    At the moment there is no option for drivers to cross the Silver Jubilee Bridge, so I doubt 80k have been crossing it in addition to those who cross the Mersey Gateway.

Local residents have no real excuse for not knowing about the arrangement for paying tolls, it has been well advertised in the local press.

However, speaking as someone who knew about it before they crossed and had already arranged for a CarTag (don't live in Halton so I don't get the residents Tag), I admit that the signage wasn't brilliant.

I was a passenger on my first crossing and actively looking for the signs, they were not easy to see and it was not clear where you should go to pay, too much information on one sign that you couldn't completely read during the time you were passing.
    Signage has since improved a little.

But I can easily see how someone who was not a local or a regular traveler in the area could get caught out, at least the first time.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Whenever a new bridge/tunnel/payment scheme starts there is the "why should we have to do anything online if we don't want to" "old people will never cope" "its unfair" etc.
    Whilst operators have a responsibility not to make it too hard and have a system which actually works users also ought to find out what to do. The Dartford Crossing had a new payment system and people complained (with justification if it didn't work) but there are pluses. When the Severn crossing started to allow contactless cards the queue certainly reduced. Even shorter of course at the end of this year when tolls are removed.
    In short life moves on so get used to it or, of course, go the long way round!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All you have to do is remember what the bridge is called and use google. It's not hard, for crying out loud. I'm sure the vast majority of those without internet access know someone with internet access.

I see Mr Loophole is touting for business again, perhaps he smells a class action.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Fyi I!!!8217;ve paid the two fines today (total 44quid) and then submitted a representation asking for the fine element (40 quid) to be refunded on the basis that this was paid under duress and it my understanding that signage is unclear and that as per recent media coverage there are procedural issues with the basis of charging and subsequent fines

Will let you know how I get on
    Left is never right but I always am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family