Care home fees

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    So we all have anecdotes.
    My MIL paid and had a room with a view and en suite facilities. The LA people were in the basement with communal facilities.
    That's by-the-by. The main point is as someone mentioned, what is rainy day money for?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    In my local authority the only care homes they own are now used for rehab, for things such as 6 weeks for rehab after a broken hip. The home my mother was in it was virtually impossible to tell if someone was self-funded or not. The carers certainly did not know either way. The only thing you could tell was how much care they needed, particularly in the night, as they would have a room nearer the centre. They tended to have beds that made personal care much easier and were unfortunately regularly vacated.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If I ever need residential care I am more than happy to be in a position where I can self fund. My mother is in a care home LA funded, and the big problem we had was choice. On the recommendation of her social worker I checked out a number of homes, and at the time my first choice had a vacancy for a LA funded resident, but then the LA panel decided that they would only fund assisted living, for which there was a waiting list.

6 months later after a hospitalisation, she was approved for full LA funding as there was no way she could be discharged to return home. The home I wanted for her had 2 vacancies but for self funders only because they limit the number of rooms available to the LA.

This left just with one option that was near to us, a rather old fashioned place with small non en-suit rooms. The staff are great and caring, mum is happy and has made new friends, but it's not the sort of home I would want to end my days, and I can't see this situation improving for people requiring LA funding in the future.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,140
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ..build a small extension and get your dad to live with you. If you take care of him you would also be able to claim carers allowance.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Stubod wrote: »
    ..build a small extension and get your dad to live with you. If you take care of him you would also be able to claim carers allowance.
    Until he develops aggressive dementia and is doubly incontinent.
  • le_loup wrote: »
    Until he develops aggressive dementia and is doubly incontinent.

What proportion of the elderly end up like that?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What proportion of the elderly end up like that?

If the the OPs father has dementia one or both those things are likely. Even without that happening dealing with a parent who can't even remember who you are is horribly distressing and I don't blame anyone for avoiding that, and under no circumstance, will I allow any of my children to be put though that.

Having said that my children understand that they don't inherit until we have no longer have a use for our assets which will be when the last of us has gone, today we might spend on a new car, or business class flights to exotic locations, in 20 years time it might be a nice care home or paying for a live in carer. The main point of having significant assets in old age is that you are safe secure and well looked after, anything left over is a bonus for them.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My dad is about to move into a care home. His assets are around £50k in the bank, plus he owns his flat, worth about £150k. He recently updated his will, to equal shares between my brother and I. The big question now is obviously what can be done to avoid the £50k and potentially the £150k going on care home fees?

The alternatives are that he pays for his care or I do. I'd rather he did, leaving my money to pay for my widow's.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Hi all - this is my first post here, so please be gentle to me!

My dad is about to move into a care home. His assets are around £50k in the bank, plus he owns his flat, worth about £150k. He recently updated his will, to equal shares between my brother and I. The big question now is obviously what can be done to avoid the £50k and potentially the £150k going on care home fees?

Thanks for any advice.
    Les
    OK, I'll bite.

If your Dad doesn't pay his care home fees, who do you think will be paying for his care?
  • Nual
    Nual Posts: 179
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    In our area we still have some local authority homes. However, they do also use private homes. Typically the private homes will either have a wing that is of lower standard or rooms that are smaller and less furnished.

The quality of care is little different as its the same staff typically. It is the living standards within the facility where differences show. The private funding can buy things that the local authority funding will not. Although LA care within a private home is almost certainly better than an old LA home (again focusing on facilities) and that does mean is likely that some cross subsidy does exist.

Why do you think this? In most private homes the LA funded resident will get exactly the same care and facilities as the self funder. LA homes are generally very very good. Some may not be as modern as private homes as the money isnt there to refurbish etc, but the staff are properly trained and get decent wages and holidays. The profit element that would go to private equity firms is instead spent on making life better for the residents and the people who care for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure