PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bubble and squeak

Comments

• kezia
    kezia Posts: 322 Forumite
    My OH makes a lovely bubble and squeak. He uses cold mash, cooked cabbage and raw onion. Mix it all together and then fry it together with some bacon ( if you like bacon!). He prefers to use yesterdays leftovers or he says if you are making it from scratch leave the cooked bits to get cold before frying. Make sure it is nice and brown and crispy before taking off the heat. Hope this helps :)
    Smoke free since 16th December 2012
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It always tastes better when made with leftovers for some reason..:rotfl:

Mashed potatoe and boiled dark green cabbage.. combine the leftovers and heat some fat/oil in fry pan then just fry till brown underneath turnover and brown other side... and eat...... :T Delicous with a fry up especially runny egg YUMMY also we always have bubble and squeak on Boxing Day with cold meat and pickle , I usually just add any leftover veg... mmmmmmmmnnn I think I will overdo the mash and veg when I do Sunday lunch tomorrow:rotfl:
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • HI there, is it supposed to be dark green cabbage or white cabbage

I think I went wrong cooking it from fresh and warm! lol, but cabbage and mash is not something I would normally cook

Is it better to fry it in lard, butter or oil

also,

do you make it into squished up round shape or just fry it loose and uncompacted (if you know what I mean)
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lard gives it a better flavour if you have some (I don't buy it anymore) and it usually takes on the shape and size of the pan you are frying it in... I do admit I usually press it down as its frying to brown it quicker and to compact it a little .. and yes DARK GREEN CABBAGE.....

you are making my mouth water :rotfl: ENJOY
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • kezia
    kezia Posts: 322 Forumite
    OH uses allsorts of cabbage and usually makes it into a squished up round shape :) .

He just uses oil to fry it in.

I have to say though I made it for dinner before and I did it from fresh and warm too! it was a right mess.
    Smoke free since 16th December 2012
  • oh thanks everyone, I might have another try after tommorows roast now!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi MortgageMamma,

This older thread might help: Bubble and squeak

Pink
  • Every Monday when I was growing up we always had my Mum's version of bubble and squeak which we called Fry-up. It was all the leftover veg from Sunday's roast dinner which she would mash up and then fry in oil or lard. It always was fried until crisp and we had it with fried egg. I liked it best when it was made with mash, green cabbage, carrot and swede and mushy peas (we always had the ones you had to soak overnight with the tablet thingie in the netting). I have tried making it myself but I can't reproduce it so now I never make it, but this thread has reminded me so I might try on Monday!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Sprouts Sprouts Sprouts even if you don't like them add them to your bubble and squeak/fryup to make it special, it is a scientific fat that even kids will eat sprout in bubble and squeak, (well it is in my house and my boy wants to be a scientist)
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Made it just the other day with the leftover veg, spuds, runner beans and broccoli, I know that it tastes even better with cabbage and sprouts it !;) I fried mine in rapeseed oil till it was golden brown. DS2 did try a little but wasn't keen. DS1 wouldn't touch it cos of the veggies!:rolleyes:

We had ours with sausage and egg and baked beans and it was yummy!:D
    Do what you love :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family