PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think I have enough in the fridge today that needs using up before I venture into the freezers again.

I need to investigate the things that are in the freezer under the fridge in the kitchen. I use it as a dumping ground for bits of leftovers, opened packets etc, so I think I'll make that my priority for next week. I'm not sure what I shall find but I should be able to get a few meals out of it.

Lunch:- last of the raised turkey/ham/pork pie for DH, then chocolate cake.
    Something with eggs for me then an apple

Tea:- turkey leg plus vegetables for two but DH will have roasties as well. then rice pudding but I'll have sugarfree jelly, yogurt and fruit.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2017 at 1:50AM
    Really, where is the time going? I had the intention of updating daily and it's already Sunday

Forgive me if I have already mentioned anything, or forgot something else

Thurs
    IN loaf of Hovis, chips with szechuan sauce (was hungry as hadn't eaten since 2, and got in from work at midnight
    OUT chips in szechuan sauce
    Several slices of bread, avocado, violife slices x 2, sweet potato and tin of beans. Can't recollect what DD2 has had

Fri
    [IN chopped tomatoes, loaf of bread, fajita paste, avocados which were reduced (I love them), golden syrup and something else, and a bag of granulated sugar
    OUTBread, two avocados, last of packet of soba noodles, half a bag of vegan Quorn pieces, handful of butternut quash chunks from freezer, same of pineapple and mango chunks, third of a red pepper, can of coconut milk, one onion plus. Anew teaspoons of Thai red paste, rice from freezer, one, banana, some strawberries, scoop of dairy free ice cream, one ice cream biscuit, and several bits of dinner/snacks via DD2.
    Made angel cake with all the egg whites using lots of sugar and some flour

Yesterday
    IN two tubs of YS cream from work which I will make into butter and then DD2 AN use for baking, and one YS share bag of ready salted crisps, two bottles of water (left at work) and a trek bar
    Out Trek bar, banana, strawberries, last of YS alpro yog (that's well past its date, but completely fine), last half of Quorn moroccan soup, napolina pizza bases with various oddments of veg and sprinkle of dairy free cheese, last of curry, five parathyroid from freezer, and two chicago town pizzas

Today
    [IN DD1 here overnight and DGD. DD1 meant to be picking up some bananas and frozen veg in way here, but don't think she'll make Morrisons in time, so probably nothing
    OUT bread, avocado and whatever DD2 has had, I have took a full bag of chicken portions out of freezer for DD1 & 2 to have a mini roast. I will have shepherds pie, so probably five potatoes, peas, some chicken, one parsnip, whatever oddments of veg I can scrabble together, one onion, stuffing from cupboard, half bag of vegan mince, sweet potato, eggs (for use in Yorkshire pudding if wanted). I will use up stale cereal, a bit of vegan marg, some syrup and cooking chocolate and do some form of choc crispy type cakes, as the cereal mountain is an issue of it's own. Stopped buying it as noone is eating it, yet still have about five unopened boxes.

Hopefully report back later or when I am not so busy with work!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done to those who are doing better than me..

We had to go to Bromley today which messed up breakfast/lunch as we were out til 2. OH has had some fried Scottish food late in the day so I don't expect he'll eat dinner again, but I had some leftover soup for lunch and will take the last portion to work tomorrow. It was a new recipe and I'll make it for work lunches again at some point as it uses mostly store cupboard ingredients and has chickpeas and lentils which keep me full at work.

I'm going to make chilli tonight - I expect some will go in the freezer but I'll take out a bag of quorn mince so swings and roundabouts really, but I will have something to defrost if I can't be bothered to cook.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • Yesterday
    IN two tubs of YS cream from work which I will make into butter and then DD2 AN use for baking, and one YS share bag of ready salted crisps, two bottles of water (left at work) and a trek bar
    Out Trek bar, banana, strawberries, last of YS alpro yog (that's well past its date, but completely fine), last half of Quorn moroccan soup, napolina pizza bases with various oddments of veg and sprinkle of dairy free cheese, last of curry, five parathyroid from freezer, and two chicago town pizzas

Vegan parathyroids? Sorry that made me lol... (I appreciate that others eat non-vegan in your house!) Auto-correct? Hope it was tasty!

In: 6 boxes of 99p non-bio washing powder from L!dl (special weekend price from £2.15); 2 mangos, bread, beer, tatties, peanut butter, hot chocolate, 2 packs YS black pudding bonbons, 3 sprinkle do-nuts (one each OH and kiddies I'm soooo good), fruit juice cartons
    Out: box chicken kievs (F), tatties, carrots, sprouts

Have had to rejig meal plan as I'm still unable to eat - 3rd day now with only occasional cups of tea but no food - GP appointment booked - so have changed to food that I can just bung in oven and doesn't need a lot of creativity. I took pork steaks out of freezer for today's meal quite late in the day and before thinking about cooking and so they will now get used tomorrow evening somehow. The cheese, veg and bacon turnovers I made for them last night went down really well and all requested to have them again some time.

Took DD out to pick up the shopping bits and we went around the full complement of MrT, MrA, BandM and L!dl as a bit of a test. So pleased that only things I was tempted to pick up was the black pudding bonbons which just really took my fancy. They're now in the freezer for sometime in the future. We stuck to our list after picking up a few ys bits and pieces and thinking 'do i need?' and put them down again... Progress!!!

Shouldn't need to shop again now until Wednesday (bread and milk). Other big news is OH has decided to 'try' to give up his cream and sugar in his coffee!! This is also progress - especially as he will also be cutting down on beer too. I think 'not quite middle aged spread' has him worried as he has lately got a bid cuddly and he doesn't like how it makes him feel. So if he can keep it up we will save at least £10-15 a month on just his single cream for coffee!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In: nothing :)
    Out of the freezer: portion green beans, portion mushrooms
    Use up: 4 asparagus spears
  • Ooh good luck to your hubby jensfeet.

Half the shepherds pie went in the freezer. Currently planning next month's menu and happily I have 3 meals that just need heating up - I am feeling rather uninspired though! Finished off the curry powder today, but bought a new tub at the last shop.
  • Morning all

I used up a big load of root veg and lentil soup over the weekend and made some mushroom risotto which got rid of some rather old dried mushrooms lurking in the cupboard as well as half a punnet of sad-looking fresh ones.

I was annoyed to find a couple of pears that had disintegrated in the fruit bowl that I had to chuck (and wash the fruit bowl!) as I had meant to cook them into a little crumble and forgot.

I've brought leftover curry and naan from Friday night's dinner for my lunch at work today though and will have the rest of last night's risotto tomorrow so I'm mostly avoiding any waste.
  • Morning all, out 2 pints of milk and half a loaf of bread - still can't see much difference! I have clearly been comfort shopping I need to remember the bargains are ALWAYS there, and there is no point buying them when you have two freezer loads at home.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    OUT of freezer, 2 litres of milk, one ready made meal
    IN NOTHING
  • Out - 4 chicken breasts, 1 pasty.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business