PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2018 at 7:08PM
    Did they just change their copy?

Do you have your own copy before the Changes?

I am not a lawyer but if they’ve manually crossed out 6 and changed to 12 then that ought to be initialled and won’t count if I think isn’t.

Did you not have to sign/initial the front pages? (I have to initial every page presumably for this reason).

I am not a lawyer but If there are conflicting documents and theirs has manual uninitialled amendments then I would expect yours to take precedence.

Obviously you don’t want to go to court but it’s worth pointing out that it take months for landlords to get a court date so in practice you have the upper hand as well.

It sounds like he is naive rather than pulling a fast one as it’s not a very good job.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Yes sorry, i tried to reply quickly after to explain.
    I meant the one we signed.
    I have a 12 month tenancy signed by them and myself.

However, the one they have would be 6months as they just changed the pages at the front.

I thought theirs might over ride ours
  • lisyloo
    The one you signed is a legally binding contract.
    They can’t just amend it after it’s signed without your agreement.

Their manual amendments e.g changing unsigned pages and crossing things out won’t stand up (because those changes are not signed or initialled).

In future I recommend initialling every page.
    A little tiresome but prevents them switching a page.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You need to look through your (12 month) contract for a break clause.
  • If they claim their adjustment in biro to 6 months is a valid change, then change yours to say the rent is one pack of Rolos every 6 years.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They can't change it unless you agree by signing it, which you have not done. Swapping a page is simply fraudulent, the LL can't simply 'change his mind' after he has signed it. And there is no reason why you need to pay any more upfront other than that required by your existing contract. Your LL appears to be an incompetent amateur. Was your deposit protected, did you receive a current gas safety certificate, did you receive an EPC?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lisyloo
    If they claim their adjustment in biro to 6 months is a valid change, then change yours to say the rent is one pack of Rolos every 6 years.

I loved this !!

But seriously don’t change it as yours is the only valid copy and could be required in a dispute. If anything take a digital copy to keep it safe.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Thanks all,
    Yes our deposit is protected
    And we have a gas safety certificate
    No EPC however.

The landlord has had nothing to do with this house at all, he works away in another country so its all done via the estate agent.

Who came to us and offered the 12 month contract, we were so happy when this happened as have young children in school, and just for peace of mind.
    I'm not sure if they offered this without his knowledge or how it was done.
    It was only when we took their copy back that they said they wouldn't do 12months.
    I will look through it and see if there is a break clause.
    I just dont want hassel im heavily pregnant, and so stressed with business decisions going bad and now this.
    We pay almost £1000 a month to live here which is fine as its what our family needed, but he seems so quick to change his mind, i wasnt sure where we stood.
    Maybe he assumed it would just be paid up front every three months but was never set in stone, and maybe a little miffed not getting a lump of cash.
    Our circumstances changed and feel sad that they waited until now to mention it as the next payment is due 1st September.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Look. You have in your possession a 12 month contract, at a stated rent, signed by the landlord and signed by you.

Is that correct?

If so, then it does not matter what the landlord does or does not do with or to hiscopy.

Your copy is legally binding.

Does it say how often rent is to be paid, and how much? Yes? Then pay the stated rent at the frequency it says!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Thanks all,
    Yes our deposit is protected
    And we have a gas safety certificate
    No EPC however.

The landlord has had nothing to do with this house at all, he works away in another country so its all done via the estate agent.

Who came to us and offered the 12 month contract, we were so happy when this happened as have young children in school, and just for peace of mind.
    I'm not sure if they offered this without his knowledge or how it was done.
    It was only when we took their copy back that they said they wouldn't do 12months.
    I will look through it and see if there is a break clause.
    I just dont want hassel im heavily pregnant, and so stressed with business decisions going bad and now this.
    We pay almost £1000 a month to live here which is fine as its what our family needed, but he seems so quick to change his mind, i wasnt sure where we stood.
    Maybe he assumed it would just be paid up front every three months but was never set in stone, and maybe a little miffed not getting a lump of cash.
    Our circumstances changed and feel sad that they waited until now to mention it as the next payment is due 1st September.

You're going around in circles. There's nothing to keep discussing. You have a valid, legally binding 12 month contract. One party can't just manually change their copy and expect that to stand.
    - Their changes are in pen so clearly after the fact
    - Their changes aren't initialed by both parties
    - There may be email evidence of them 'withdrawing' the 12 month contract - which they can't do.

End of the day, you have your contract, stay according to that. Ignore them when they claim your fixed term is over, whether that is at the 6 month or 12 month mark. If they try to evict at 6 months, you can show your 12 month signed contract. If they try to evict at 12 months, you can just go onto a periodic tenancy and it will take months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure