Extremely high energy bills!

Options
JKal96
JKal96 Posts: 9 Forumite
Dear Martin Lewis Forum,

I need some advice ASAP! I will be in contact with CAB soon but wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues.

I've lived in my single bed flat for three years as a student. The energy provider when I moved in was NPower, I wasn't aware that I could change and just continued paying £35 per month as the previous tenant probably did. I was quite naive when it came to energy bills and did not realise that this was a variable tariff that would change due to the providers estimates. I did give meter readings when I could but the costs were getting so high that my debit kept building up and eventually a monthly tariff of £92 infuriated me enough to switch, I was hit with a huge final bill from NPower, which I disputed, but due to my lack of knowledge and time, had to settle by paying £21 a month to pay off a £515 debt over 2 years. I simply accepted that the cost was high and I should've known to switch before.

Last July, I switched to SO Energy, thinking that this problem would be resolved by switching providers. I have been with them for a year and have been paying £28 per month as per their fixed rate package. I got a notification saying that my deal was about to end, so I looked elsewhere and tried to switch. I got a rejection, saying that I owe a huge amount on my electricity. I work 9-5 weekdays so I am never in, I didn't submit meter readings as previously this didn't seem to matter whenever I'd get monthly bills.

When I queried this, they asked me for a meter reading which I gave and I was told that I owed £1236!!! To make this worse, when I complained about it, SO told me that with the outstanding amount owed, my bills would now come to £180 per month, (out of contract tariff at the moment and they are trying to advise me to join new tariff 12 month contract) and that my monthly payments would actually be around £70-80 per month, and the extra £100 is the money I owe from the debt, based on my usage. 16525 Day, 24154 night july to august is my opening read on July 2018. Today I gave the agent rep my reading which was 24764 day 26502 night. I thought this annual energy usage was too high and maybe my meter was faulty or some appliance is faulty but even with that, the cost can't be £1236! The most recent bill for some reason covers 19-21 July only and doesn't spread out over the 12 month period. Other bills cover a month like they should but this bill states I used 3652kwh day 1543kwh night in 2 days! "Balance at your last statement £470.74, Balance brought forward £470.74, new charges included in this statement £765.36 amounting to my new account balance being £1236.10"

My question is: how is this possible??! Am I misreading something? I've paid £364 this year and can understand if it was underestimated and owe a bit more but £1200?! How can my annual usage be altogether £1500? Have SO calculated it wrong? Is someone stealing my electricity? This just seems incomprehensible. I have electricity only, I live in a bedsit by myself and I am being charged what I consider to be an extortionate amount compared to fellow flatmates. I am barely in during the day and my energy usage should be below average at most. Most importantly, what can I do? How can I escalate this and dispute this further? Should I call an engineer out?

If there's any info you feel I need to provide please let me know!

Comments

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why on earth did you think that paying less than you had been paying whilst running up a large debt was a sensible idea? Lecture over!

Your daytime usage is massive for someone who's out during the day. I suspect you've got your night & day readings swapped over. Are you on an economy 7 tariff ( cheap night units)? Do you have electric heating (e.g. storage heaters)? If you do and you're not on an economy 7 tariff that is big mistake. How is your hot water heated? Is it too hot?

You can find out which reading is which by reading the meter last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Your meter might be feeding more than just your flat - but we would need to know more about your setup to work that out.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    JKal96 wrote: »
    ...............but this bill states I used 3652kwh day 1543kwh night in 2 days! .................

I suspect this is because SO managed to get a ACTUAL reading on July 21 and previously there were estimates.

On the basis of 8000 day units and 2000 night units your bill with SO is about £1600; even as Talldave suggests the day/night is wrong your bill is £1300

Tell us more about your heating please - storage rads or perhaps the modern super dooper panel heaters (I hope not)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • JKal96
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    Why on earth did you think that paying less than you had been paying whilst running up a large debt was a sensible idea? Lecture over!

Your daytime usage is massive for someone who's out during the day. I suspect you've got your night & day readings swapped over. Are you on an economy 7 tariff ( cheap night units)? Do you have electric heating (e.g. storage heaters)? If you do and you're not on an economy 7 tariff that is big mistake. How is your hot water heated? Is it too hot?

You can find out which reading is which by reading the meter last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Your meter might be feeding more than just your flat - but we would need to know more about your setup to work that out.
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I suspect this is because SO managed to get a ACTUAL reading on July 21 and previously there were estimates.

On the basis of 8000 day units and 2000 night units your bill with SO is about £1600; even as Talldave suggests the day/night is wrong your bill is £1300

Tell us more about your heating please - storage rads or perhaps the modern super dooper panel heaters (I hope not)

my day time rate is 2 and night rate is 1, I confirmed this by taking meter readings three times a day and seeing which one has moved. I am on two rate tariff and have a multi rate meter. I have an electric shower and a boiler, I don't have panel heaters or central heating. It just seems insane that the costs could have been that much from one thing, I've taken readings in the past week whilst using showers/washing machine/dryer etc. and the average usage every day for this week has been 8kwh which seems to be national average.
  • Robin9
    edited 24 July 2019 at 11:24AM
    Options
    JKal96 wrote: »
    ........................I don't have panel heaters or central heating. ..............

Then how do you heat your flat ?

FAn heater/ one or two bar fire/ oil filled rad / convector heater ?
  • JKal96
    Options
    The flat has two storage heaters attached to the wall but I've never turned them on ever since I moved to the flat. I have an electric heater that I used during winter but haven't used it since December and my energy usage still seems high. I just refuse to believe I've used 10000 kw in a year in a single person flat. I've got an appointment with CAB tomorrow morning so I will relay what they say.
  • Robin9
    Options
    Are you 100% sure that the meter you think is yours is actually yours ? Is it in a communal cupboard or in or just outside your flat ?

Have you checked the serial number on the bill against the serial number on the meter ?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You said you have a boiler - is this a gas boiler for hot water? Or is there an electric immersion heater doing hot water?

The comment above about the right meter is worth considering. Once you've confirmed it's the right meter, start taking weekly readings. Is it a meter with a pulsing LED? If so, get a Geo Minim+ monitor to get a live 24/7 readout of your consumption- then you can switch stuff on/off and see what's really eating power.
  • JKal96
    Options
    It's a boiler that heats water through electricity. I switch it on only when I'm cooking or cleaning. Even when it's on, I've taken three readings this past week using my appliances like I normally do (washing machine/shower/tv/cooker etc.) and my average usage per day is 8kwh. My first reading was 26497 night and 24738 day (19 July) and my latest reading is 26504 night and 24792 day (26 July).
  • JKal96
    Options
    Everyone in my building has their meter outside their flat right next to the door. I've issued a complaint to ask for an engineer to check if it is faulty.
  • JKal96
    Options
    I've also been advised by CAB that I should've been on a single rate tariff not two. What can I do about this now? I'm on a out of contract tariff as So are trying to push me into a 12 month contract paying nearly £200 a month to cover the debt and estimated usage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure