Making overpayments - does DD still take?

i have got a new CC (tesco 15m) and its first payment set up DD is £250. and the minimum on the statement due at end of jan, is £25. and on the main screen of the app it said something like "DD will take on or around 30th for £250"

but i have been looking at my current account and any "odd" balance i have paid off the CC.

and now it says on main screen "thank you we have recieved £40.xx" in payments.

now i know this is over the £25 minimum so is that why the first message has disappeared?

and will the £250 DD on 30th still take, or will it not, as i have paid over the minimum £25, because i have paid £40? thanks

Comments

• The Ts&Cs for the card should state what they do with extra payments. Some take the DD anyway, some have a time limit depending on when you make the payment.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've had a quick look at Tesco's Credit Card website. I cannot see anywhere where it explains what it does with additional payments. Is it not written on you statement anywhere? Like the PP says, some companies still take the direct debit anyway (even for the full amount), some offset the additional payment against the direct debit, and some don't take the direct debit. I will also depend upon how close to the direct debit date you make the additional payment.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,015
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Best bet ring tesco and ask.

As has been said different card provider work in different ways.
    Life in the slow lane
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tesco imo is not great for finding your way around the internet banking in general.

But more to the point, you're going to struggle to keep track of everything if you pay odd bits here and there - you won't easily be able to see whether payments belong to the statement due or to purchases that will fall on the next statement. The safest way to keep track is to either set the DD to pay off in full, or cancel it then wait for the statement and pay it manually each month.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2020 at 6:00PM
    I can't answer with regard to Tesco as I don't have one of their cards, but it is a very popular card so there must be several posters on this forum who have one and will know the answer.
    Can you not check your statements?
    Statements tend to say something along the lines of either 'Any payments you make prior to X working days before the direct debit is due to be taken will reduce your direct debit' OR 'Your direct debit will continue to be taken regardless of any payments made',.
  • I have a Tesco World Mastercard and making additional payments will reduce / cancel the direct debit. Obviously, there will be a cut off point of something like 24 / 48 hours before the date of collection, after which the direct debit will not be reduced / cancelled.
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 998
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a Tesco credit card :)

It is just coming to the end of a zero percent on purchases promotion. For the entire promotional period the direct debit was set to take a minimum payment of £25 and it took this every month without fail. I made additional payments throughout the month (I was getting paid erratically).

I set the direct debit to repay in full to take for the first time in January and it didn't take, although it said it would on the statement. I had paid off more than the 'pay in full' amount (had used it for Christmas shopping) in a couple of transactions a couple of weeks before the direct debit was due.

There is a small section on the statement under the box about Ways to Pay that states
    "additional payments made between the statement date and required payment date may affect the amount of the direct debit"
    It's a bit vague. Best to make sure the money is available to be taken just in case.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I have a Tesco Bank Foundation credit card with a Direct Debit set up for £30/month and last month I made an additional payment of £30 well before the date it was due to be collected and they still took it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Martin did a chart once showing what each provider did re DDs
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    i have called, and also fb messaged tesco (i did the message as on hold), and the caller, and the message both said yes, the DD would still take :)

also, a lot on here do the odds and ends overpayments, i'm not in debt as such (like the DFW boards), but yea it seems common eg if your current account is at £359.99 - to pay £9.99 as an overpayment on a bill / card etc.

yksi wrote: »

But more to the point, you're going to struggle to keep track of everything if you pay odd bits here and there - you won't easily be able to see whether payments belong to the statement due or to purchases that will fall on the next statement. The safest way to keep track is to either set the DD to pay off in full, or cancel it then wait for the statement and pay it manually each month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure